Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Why is Haulmark referred to as Class A?

I have been looking at a Haulmark on Freightline chassis . Possibly to trade my Seneca. I do love the Seneca but cannot understand the dealers reference to the Haulmark as a Class A. Could thins be because the one I am looking at has a tag axle? If so what advantage and disadvantage does the vehicle with a tag axle have. Any advise in this area would help me make some decisions.
Meshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

I believe the dealer is misinformed.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Looks like a classic example of a Class C.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Looking at the Haulmarks, I have no idea why he would call it a Class A unless he was new and dumb, of couse I maybe missing something new in terminologies.

Tag axels are added to existing frames when the coaches weight will exceed tire and axel ratings. You see tags on longer coaches, usually over 36-37 feet.

So, if you want a longer rig, you're going to have a tag. If you don't want one, you have to settle for a shorter one. Tags do handle better on the road in crosswinds and passing large trucks, they can also give a better overall ride. The only disadvantage I see is 2 more tires to buy when the time comes and the extra maintainance that may bring, which is very minimal.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was in a CG in Wells, NV that did not allow tripple axel RVs! They had grass that was damaged by the scuffing.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Aren't they Super C models?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Aren't they Super C models?
Yep, that would be classified as a Super C. To be a super c, it should have a frieghtliner or Kodiac chassis. Much more weight carrying and towing capacity, that's my understanding anyway.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

It was my understanding, when we first got into the RV hobby (early 1990s), that anything with a truck or auto manufacturer-built front end body (A-pillar forward) wasn't a Class A. The Class A definition was reserved for RVs where all the body above the chassis rails (and some below) were made by the RV manufacturer.

Back then, the "Super-C" hadn't appeared, and almost all C-class rigs had a cab-over bed. There were few without that bed, and some I saw were referred to as "Super-B's".
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No link to it so I can't tell what it is but

Class A is all motor home The driver's seat can be turned into a living room chair (As can the shotgun seat) It's all motor home.

Class C is based on the Cut-away cab, It has a clear "Cab" part and usually an over the cab bunk. (or storage area)

There is an old joke that applies here: Why do salesmen wear name tags?

(So they don't forget their names).

Though, when I worked as a salesman, i studied my product, and refused to work for a couple of stores that sold inferior (in my opinion) products at inflated prices.. Many salesmen and ad men really know very little about the product. I have met a few exceptions, but not many.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #10

I believe motorhomes that are built on a chassis like that are called "C+" or Chassis Mount. They can be pretty big, IMHO they would be preferable to a class A in terms of crash survivability and drivetrain maintenance
Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Tags do handle better on the road in crosswinds and passing large trucks, they can also give a better overall ride. The only disadvantage I see is 2 more tires to buy when the time comes and the extra maintainance that may bring, which is very minimal.
That tag axle adds a bunch to the overall fuel consumption also.

We have a Volvo 630 for pulling horses at the farm, we gained more than 1 mpg empty, and almost 1.5 mpg loaded by removing the second rear axle, or "singling" the truck.

The rolling resistance of 4 more tires (in the case of a big truck) makes more difference than you'd think.

I'd have to think there'd be a pretty big weight penalty with that extra axle too.

A conventional heavy truck chassis (Class 8) that a Super C would be built on could have a 12k front and 23k rear axle, at a 35k pound GVWR you'd have to put a lot of 'stuff' into it to need a tag axle IMHO.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #12

It is a Super 'C'. Diesel Truck front. Super Nova, Enduramax, Seneca, Embark Haulmark all diesel all super 'C's.

Salesman must have had a simple slip of the tongue.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love my tag axle!! I'm only 31' but my box is HUGE. Have yet to weigh it to see where I'm at with all the weights.

When we were bringing it home we had outer dually go flat didn't even feel a differance guy pulled up next to us and yelled it was flat. Yes its 2 more tires to buy and another axle to look after In my opion the ride seems VERY stable and not a lot of body sway or roll.
It even handles curb very well we drive out and back in over the 5-7 inches of curb in front of sticks and brick. We have done this about a dozen times so far and it actually seems to help cutting down on the drop off the curb.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #14

Even the big Super C is snobed in the Class A only parks.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote