Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

Wind impact on long Class C

Thinking about buying a large Class C. I've read that class As that that have a short wheel base and a lot of body behind the rear wheels tend to be unwieldy, especially in the wind. The large class Cs that I've seen also have the long extension behind the rear wheels. How difficult are these to handle in the wind, or as semi tractor trailers roar past?
wannabervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #2

We rented from them a few years ago. It was a positive experience. They told us that their resale rigs are completely new except for the motor and chassis. So this seems a good option if the high mileage doesn't scare you away.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

I'm pretty new at rving, but I have owned my 31 ft Minnie for about three months. My experience is limited, but so far I have not had a problem. Yeah, you can definitely feel the wind and the passing semis, but to me it seems no worse than driving a u-haul van. The main thing to remember is the rear overhang when turning or backing.

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
Thinking about buying a large Class C. I've read that class As that that have a short wheel base and a lot of body behind the rear wheels tend to be unwieldy, especially in the wind. The large class Cs that I've seen also have the long extension behind the rear wheels. How difficult are these to handle in the wind, or as semi tractor trailers roar past?
A great driving class C is the Phoenix Cruiser [NOT a 3 slide model]. They are a little shorter than most but drive really well, little to no push from 18 wheelers. But, if you are 6' 2" or taller, this coach is not for you.
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

If the vehicle has enough front end +caster it will add to the stability no matter what the circumstance. IMO
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

I agree with Retired Cop. I have a 30' Class C, and of course you're going to feel the wind more than you would in a smaller vehicle, but I'm not sure the length of the wheel base has anything to do with it. It's just the fact that there's a lot more surface area of the wind to catch.

As far as semis going by, yes, you'll feel it once they are even with your back bumper. You'll realize pretty quick to keep an eye on your mirrors even moreso than in a car.
jerdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

The class c rv's are not as tall as the class a's so generally they will not be affected by wind to the same degree as a class a. The correct chassis setup on either class is also critical. I have found that the B+ class drive better.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

Most of the newer motorhomes are stretching the wheelbase which really helps with the tail wag. I would add a couple things that really does help with the tail wag in wind and when trucks pass you.

1. Rear Air Bags to help with the extra weight behind the wheels.

2. Rear Track Bar to stop the leaf springs from going side to side.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #9

I have a 34 foot Class C on a Ford F550 (truck) chassis. The F550 chassis is a dream to drive. It handles great in the wind. Passing or being passed by a larger vehicle is not felt. Our previous Class C 29 foot was on a Ford E450 (van) chassis. This motor home was not fun to drive in the wind; better hold on to the steering wheel. IMO a heavier and stiffer chassis is the way to go. Just ask my wife, she loves the F550 chassis, she does most of the driving; two trips to Alaska from the lower 48 in the past two years.
dembree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #10

I'm looking at super Cs with a double rear (tag?) axils, rather than those with a single axial and long overhang. Seems that would help with stability in the wind. Does that make sense?
Old 01-04-2015, 04:19 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
I'm looking at super Cs with a double rear (tag?) axils, rather than those with a single axial and long overhang. Seems that would help with stability in the wind. Does that make sense?
Ah, sure does !
Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dembree View Post
I have a 34 foot Class C on a Ford F550 (truck) chassis. The F550 chassis is a dream to drive. It handles great in the wind. Passing or being passed by a larger vehicle is not felt. Our previous Class C 29 foot was on a Ford E450 (van) chassis. This motor home was not fun to drive in the wind; better hold on to the steering wheel. IMO a heavier and stiffer chassis is the way to go. Just ask my wife, she loves the F550 chassis, she does most of the driving; two trips to Alaska from the lower 48 in the past two years.
Sounds nice.

I really need to stay between 26-28 ft so chassis is limited now to the Ford 450 Ford Vans.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #13

I think they all catch a good cross wind, after all they are about as aerodynamic as a brick, my last MH was a class C that was almost 30' and it wasn't that bad, the semis weren't that bad as they passed, it did push it a little but wasn't that bad really. I added Bilstein shocks and a Bilstein steering stabilzer and it improved the ride and steering dramatically.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #14

I just got home from a trip from TN to AZ and back in a 2014 Citation 29-TB (aprox 32) feet. Just got out of there, by the way, ahead of those storms. Going and coming the constant winds through parts of NM and OK were strong at times and for long stretches and I had to apply constant pressure to the steering wheel. I do get a blow when simi's go by me fast but I got used to it pretty quick and I too kept a pretty regular check on the mirror. I can't imagine any motor home being wind proof. It wasn't like we drove in constant fear of getting blown off the road but my wife and I both stayed sharp and aware of the traffic and conditions around us. I would think that would go without saying in any "RV". So I will say if you want to go Class-C just get what you want and get used to it's behavior. By the way, the Ford E-450 V-10 was awesome going up and down those mountains in northern Arizona. Going up I could blow by the trucks and going down I just turned off the overdrive and tapped the breaks on rare occasion. The van did the rest on it's own. Just thought I would throw that in. Good luck and happy motoring.
TS192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c