Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #1

Window leak thoughts, advice?

I have a 92 24 foot Gulfstream ultra every system has been completely gone over and everything is a-ok except I have a leak at the dinette window. I should say I'm in Gulf Shores Alabama and the rain for the past 5 days has been in what I will call biblical proportions. The rain streamed down both sides of my RV in sheets. The window that was leaking had a maxx air window vent on it and I was in the process of removing the caulk and trying to reseal it. I got as far as taking off the window vent when the rain restarted and I went inside the motor home and watched it pour. Amazingly the window did not leak.
Now for the 64$ question, could the window vent have caused the leak???? I am confused.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If in removing the part you cracked the seal or calking around the window frame - Yes. Water would enter between the window frame and the skin of the RV.
Covering or sealing the top and sides of the window frame with Gorilla duct tape or a putty would act as a temporary water barrier. You could also duct tape a cut trash bag over the entire window.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #3

DD, water was entering between the window frame and inside and outside skin. I never saw it leak but the seat was soaked and I could not see where it came from.
I'm still not sure what to do as when the rain guard was taken off the leak stopped.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you inspected the seal/gasket of the glass? If the seal around the glass is dried and cracked, water can be getting around it. The Max Window Vent may have been covering and diverting the water away from it.
If that is the case, you will be the window resealed or replaced.
Removing and reinstalling the window is an easy DIU project.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Hi all ; had the same thing happen to me . To make it short and to the point first I pulled the window and frame and resealed it , Not a hard job; but still would leak with a hard rain. Got looking at it and found the rubber seal on the outside between glass and frame can be pulled right out . Removed it , cleaned the frame ,track and weep holes and reinstalled the seal (just tap's back in place ) that was it!!!! out side frame weep holes were plugged which backed up the rain water over flowing to the inside . ALL DONE NO WINDOW LEAK . Hope this helps .
Old 03-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #6

Hi all thanks for the advise and thoughts. An old timer who has worked and lived in RV's for years told me to pop the window, clean the frame and put eurethabond around it and put the window back, he said he's done that on lots of windows and it has always sealed whatever was leaking. I am going to tackle that tomorrow and will let everyone know how it turned out.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2014 THOR Chateau 31L. Picked it up in July 2014 as a used unit. Got a good deal and unit had all the issues we had found repaired at Camping Worlds nickle because the one year THOR bumper to bumper warranty was only good for the first owner. One of our squaks was a torn upper seal on fwd slide-out. After. The seal was replaced, we ended up with a water leak iinside the floor. Have no idea where it is coming in from. Any ideas? They tried to fix it once already.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #8

Everyone, thank you. I did the window Wednesday and yesterday it poured and the coach stayed dry as a bone. I'm really happy about it and when the weather warms up I will do some interior carpentry. I'll see if there's any damage, mold and rebuild the wall if necessary.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Congrats on the fix. One thing about water it goes where it wants!

We have a window project ahead of us soon.
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #10
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Easywind, May not be a bad idea to put the other windows on your list of things to do.

When one leaks, the others are not far behind. This is one of those things that needs to be done every 10-15 years.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, leak, window