Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Our 2004 Chateau Class C leaks at every window in the coach some worse than others. Manufacturer explains of course you' re out of waranty, and all rv windows leak due to vibration and constant shifting.
OK I can probably buy some of that, but I would like to hear what the rest of the community has to say. Do all RVs leak? Do you have to maintain (Caulk) the windows or what?
As usually all input and experiences are appreciated.
Thanks

Swannee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Our 2004 Chateau Class C leaks at every window in the coach some worse than others. Manufacturer explains of course you' re out of waranty, and all rv windows leak due to vibration and constant shifting.
OK I can probably buy some of that, but I would like to hear what the rest of the community has to say. Do all RVs leak? Do you have to maintain (Caulk) the windows or what?
As usually all input and experiences are appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
My 2004 31Z Chateau NEVER leaked from anywhere...the claim that they all leak is BS.

You should check and reseal windows after a time, but I never did mine...just sold it last week.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We don't have a Class C but if you want to try a fix to avoid an obvious future problem, I see 2 choices.
1: If the windows are leaking around the edges, I would get some clear butyl caulk and run a thin bead around the top and side edges of all windows stopping just under the bottom edge. I wouldn't use silicone as it probably wouldn't last.
2: If you feel industrious, go to the Copperstate Roofing Supply website and purchase a 50 ft roll or two of either 1/2 inch or 1 inch sticky tape and do all the windows. This company also sell Eternabond tape for resealing leaky roof problems where the caulking has failed.http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...s=butyl%20tape
http://www.bestmaterials.com/Eternabond.aspx
I would get the problem taken care of ASAP before water gets behind the walls.
The IRV2 link on this site also sells butyl tape http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=938 and Eternabond tape http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=377
These 2 items are always good to have on hand along with other items.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swannee:
OManufacturer explains ........, and all rv windows leak due to vibration and constant shifting.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This manufacturer must think we are all idiots. RV windows do not leak when properly installed and manufactured correctly.

Is the leak from around the glass and aluminum or from around the frame and wall. In either case you can get some clear marine grade sealant and make th repairs.

If it is leaking around the frame, it is probably a bad install job and needs to be pulled and resealed. This is not a hard job and can be done with an assistant.

Ken
Old 09-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Trick is GE marine silicone sealer. I have used it on boats, scuba gear, you name it. Cleaned and removed loose dried Mfg. caulking. Ran a small 1/8" bead on all but the very bottom of all windows. Blessed by the fact that window mountings were OK, problem just cheap caulk. Thanks for all input and verification of what I thought about some Mfg. quality and their character after the sale.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #7

Folks,
You may want to check for slots around the window frames that allow water to drain out.
Worse case scenario, the windows were put in upside down!
Best,
Treeman

Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Treeman. Soon as I read reply got that sick sinking feeling. Took a look all slots are on the bottom. Good point but who knows thanks again for bringing that to my attention.

thanks