Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago View 24D

This thread is really only for those people who have owned and/or used a Winnebago View/Navion 24D with the Murphy bed.

We presently have a Minnie Winnie 22R with a corner bed built on a Ford E350 chassis and the 5.4L engine. We do not like the bed and find the RV underpowered for driving in much of the west and the house seating is not very comfortable to us.

So we are looking for a replacement. For a variety of reasons Class As, Super Cs and anything over 27 feet is out of play for us. We are keeping a 32ft 5th wheeler for some types of trips. This unit needs to be much shorter rig than the 5th for going to other kinds of places.

We are looking very hard at the View 24D with the Murphy bed configuration. My questions are:

1) What are your overall impressions and experiences with it?
2) What are the best three points?
3) What are the worst three points?
4) How easy do you find the Murphy bed to use day to day?
5) What is your typical mpg?
6) How good is it on serious grades, up and down?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

Smile Our experience with Winnabago View 24D

We just purchased the View 24D in September 2019. We have traveled over 3,000 miles with it so far and are very happy with it. The murphy bed is very comfortable (we added a foam topper to it) and very convenient to use. We keep it made up and just push a button to lower and raise it. The three things we like best (in addition to the murphy bed)- the comfortable driver and passenger seats, counter space, comfortable dinning seats. Three things like the least (had to think about this because we like it so much) - shower space is a little tight, back half of rear closet requires slightly shorter hangers (we use the wire with cardboard rollers to fit), 2 burner instead of three burner stove. We haven't figured out the mpg yet, but we went a long time between fill ups compared to our previous truck & 26 foot trailer. We're very pleased with our experience and would highly recommend it for anyone looking for this size motor home.
DoloresW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the input.

Happy trails....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
This thread is really only for those people who have owned and/or used a Winnebago View/Navion 24D with the Murphy bed.

We presently have a Minnie Winnie 22R with a corner bed built on a Ford E350 chassis and the 5.4L engine. We do not like the bed and find the RV underpowered for driving in much of the west and the house seating is not very comfortable to us.

So we are looking for a replacement. For a variety of reasons Class As, Super Cs and anything over 27 feet is out of play for us. We are keeping a 32ft 5th wheeler for some types of trips. This unit needs to be much shorter rig than the 5th for going to other kinds of places.

We are looking very hard at the View 24D with the Murphy bed configuration. My questions are:

1) This is our third View/Navion (23H, 24G, now 24D). Third time is a charm! We like it a bunch. BTW, also had a Class A diesel pusher in the mix. After four years traded it for our 24D
2) Best three points: Living space with the slide out and the bed up, over cab sleeping area (for grandkids, mostly), diesel generator.
3) Worst three points: Cost of maintenance at a Mercedes Dealer, ridiculous ... find a better but legitimate alternative. Sorry tire air valve setup from factory (WGO did same for the ‘06 23H and the ‘12 24G) ... get the Borg extensions right after your purchase. Lack of decent cab cup holders (I see the newer model addressed that).
4) Murphy bed is easy peasey!
5) Better than 16 mpg without toad, about 13ish with 2012 Ford Escape toad ... typical speed about 62-63 mph.
6) None of our Views/Navion has ever choked on a grade and I don’t shy away from any. Even took our little 5 cylinder 23H towing a Scion up Teton Pass headed west, it wasn’t a particularly fast trip but we made it I miss the exhaust brake we enjoyed on the Tiffin
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

You probably already bought your RV, but I wanted to put these answers in here. We have a 2018 View 24d and looked hard at other View configurations as well as other Class CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post

Overall: happy with it. Interior quality is high vs. a lot of the gassers in the Class C category. Very useable space but drives like it is much smaller. We had only a few minor problems mostly with plumbing. The water line to the shower valves was a little loose which was a minor issue to fix but created a water leak in the wall which could have been major. The vacuum breaker on the fresh water fill failed, and both water inlets (cheap plastic) had to be replaced with bronze. Those took a little more work.

A) Vehicle: The Sprinter sits up higher than Fords and offers a commanding view of the road that I didn’t expect. Power, especially off the line, is very good. Easy to drive and easy to keep up with traffic. Fuel mileage with the diesel is very good too, up to 15-16mpg if not towing and staying around 60mph
B) Tech: the included solar is nice, Controls are easy to use, and the on-demand hot water heater is awesome.
C) Layout: interior is well laid out and and seems a lot more spacious than expected due to the Murphy bed. Lots of interior storage. This makes the kitchen nearly 2x as long as the galley in the non-Murphy bed versions. That’s huge.

A) Shower is very small and while I am not particularly heavy I feel like at any moment I will fall through the bottom of the shower.
B) Electrics: the unit is under-batteried with just 2 fairly low-spec lead-acid batteries. It has an inverter, but only one plug that seems to be designed for powering an outdoor TV.
C) Exterior storage is not that great, and the bins open upward rather than sideways which makes access a pain. Wet bay is especially cramped and the electrical connections there are inside the tub for the wet bay. I worry about corrosion.

Couldn’t be easier. Push the switch and the bed goes up. Fold the foot down and the bed is ready to go. The biggest downside of the Murphy bed is that it HAS to be put up or the interior is unusable. So if one person wants to get up and the other wants to sleep in, it is awkward.

Best I have gotten is 15-16, typical is 13-14.

It is DECENT but not great. Up serious grades it can maintain 55-60 only with the pedal to the metal and not towing. I can’t imagine how slow it would be towing. Engine braking is fairly weak so going down the descents will lean heavily on the brakes which are the spongiest I have felt in a vehicle but they seem to work well enough.

Hope this helps!
Bryanmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well we have not bought the next RV yet, but back in the market right now. Thanks for the info.

I've kinda soured on the Sprinter chassis for our needs, Low OCCC rating and distance between authorized service centers out this way.

Thanks again...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
winnebago