Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 AM   #1

Winnie view 2015

Hello,

I've just purchased a new Winnebago view with Mercedes diesel engine.

So much to learn, but please advise if oil and filter change can be done by myself.

Thank you,
Blueseal
blueseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #2

Yes, they can. Be sure and use oil that meets Mercedes spec.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto on that. Look in your Operators Manual for the proper oil- it is identified by a specification number. My 2014 View V-6 (diesel) calls for a spec #229.51- the oil I use is the factory choice which is: Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W-30 part # MOB 121218

I get the oil at NAPA, they do not stock it-it has to be ordered in- and Napa sells the oil for $5.99, when on sale- otherwise it is double that. Buy some for stock when it is on sale-mine holds 13 Quarts.

NAPA also has the right Oil Filters Be Careful here, as well! Use brands "Hengst" or "Mann"

There is a learning curve on doing your own maintenance- research the right fluids, and filters. You have to verify every move. Antifreeze, Transmission fluid, Power steering, brake fluid- they all have a specification number and you cannot add a little of something that is not compatable
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseal View Post
Hello,

I've just purchased a new Winnebago view with Mercedes diesel engine.

So much to learn, but please advise if oil and filter change can be done by myself.

Thank you,
Blueseal
We owned a 2006 View for 8 years from 2006 to 2014. Ours was the older I5 diesel. I did my own oil & filter service. As the previous poster noted, be sure to use the appropriate MB approved oil. I always bought Mobil1 in 5gal jugs at Walmart but I'm told not all Wallys carry it. Add a Fumoto valve to make the job a "slam-dunk." The best place for all MB parts is Europarts-SD.com in San Diego.

The best place for real life WGO View/Itasca Navion info is Yahoo Groups View-Navion forum. It requires registration and has lots of whining about the clunky Yahoo interface but the info is invaluable. DO NOT drink the KoolAid! Until you get a feel for who knows what they're talking about, only take advice from Byron, Tom, Michael, Elden and a few others.

The View was the most fun I've had with my clothes on. Good luck.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

Also try AutohausAZ - Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips - for MB parts.

I buy everything from them for my 3 cars.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #6

We are also looking at the 2015 View. How do you or the others like yours? I am especially concerned about the bed. The layout we inspected had a bed in the back that came in pieces when the slide was in so it could look like a couch. Not sure how that will hold together for sleeping. A comfortable bed is really high on my priority list. Also had some concerns about setting up and taking down the table constantly since it was screwed in on pedestal that had to be taken down to close the slide. John Fraser
jfraser813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #7

Fill to the exact amount, not by what the dipstick shows. I over filled slightly and the nasty over fill light came on. Needed to drain a bit out to get it to reset.
Dan_Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

If you want to know how to do maintenance on your engine go to the Sprinter forum. They have pics and videos of how to do maintenance. I have a Coachmen Prism and it is far and away the easiest vehicle I've ever owned for oil changes. You will need a special oil filter wrench. I buy everything I need off of Amazon. One other thing is you should change your fuel filter the same time as your oil and only use low sulphur diesel. Also, as in previous posts use MB approved fluids only. Have fun.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you ever figure out how to manage the bed? We are buying the 2016 view with twin beds and have similar concerns
Joannec
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We use fitted twin bed sheets. Works fine.

We also use a Blanket that is folded & put at the foot of the bed during the day.

As temps change, we vary the Pajamas we wear.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanned View Post
Did you ever figure out how to manage the bed? We are buying the 2016 view with twin beds and have similar concerns
Joannec
We have a 2015 View Profile 24V Twin beds. We flat sheets on the twins until we change it into a King bed, then we unfold our Travasak King and the bed is made in less than a minute.
Salsa Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Regarding beds
For the twin/ king bed model we plan to use twin sheets permanently and make sheets to covers each fill in piece to protect them and make king for sleep
For blankets I plan to look into the bed sack mentioned above or just folded on edge of bed

I'm Not familiar with the model where you have to take down the table
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanned View Post
Regarding beds
For the twin/ king bed model we plan to use twin sheets permanently and make sheets to covers each fill in piece to protect them and make king for sleep
For blankets I plan to look into the bed sack mentioned above or just folded on edge of bed

I'm Not familiar with the model where you have to take down the table
Even on the 24V there is a bed where the dining table is, therefore you have to remove the table to make that bed. We tell everyone that we only have the bed in the back and the unit was only made for two. Ha!!
Salsa Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
The Sofa/Bed on the 24V- we found to be uncomfortable.

We Replaced the Sofa Bed with 2 Recliners, that has a console in the middle. I put a receptacle in the console for charging phones, laptops, iPads, cameras, etc. The Recliners are not only comfortable, but, the charging station is really a good answer.