Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #1

Winter Roof Repair

Bought an '85 Coachman Classic a month ago and I've been tracking down roof leaks ever since. I'm going to have to replace the rear 1/3 of the ceiling as it is so I'm just trying to get the roof sealed up before I can. I've used some Eternabond around the a/c and vents on the roof and used it to deal most leaks I have seen. The issue is that the aluminum? roof is peppered with tiny holes. I'm assuming from previous owners tossing luggage up to the luggage rack. I have to cover a large area of roof so tape is not gonna do it but something like Liquid EPDM has to be done in warmer weather. I have a trip in a month and a half and need to patch it up, even if only temporarily until spring. Any suggestions????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #2

Get a roll of heavy duty plastic at HomeDepot or Lowes (http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/N...sOverride=true). Or get a plastic tarp at Harbor Freight - they're super cheap. Cut it out as needed and tape it down at the edges with either Gorilla Tape or Eternabond. Gorilla tape would be substantially less expensive.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Eternabond does have large, up to four feet wide roof patching material.
EternaBond WebSeal
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Eternabond does have large, up to four feet wide roof patching material. EternaBond WebSeal
I think that would be ideal but it's super pricey. Anyone else have feelings on the plastic or tarp idea?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #5

Most home centers and hardware stores have a selection of products for patching the roof of a S & B's. Amongst them is usually a few items intended for quick temporary repairs. They are aerosol liquid rubber sealants.

There's one in particular called "Leak Seal" from Rustoleum that I've had good success with. It adheres to aluminum well and other products adhere to it well also.

Some of them stick so well you can even apply them when the roof is wet. Spray a few patches over the holes now and cover the whole roof in the spring.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

Thanks Murf. I'm hearing about the aerosol sealants from a few places now. Sounds like I need to give that a try.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #7

Wait, you put seam tape around the A/C? Why?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrince View Post
Bought an '85 Coachman Classic a month ago and I've been tracking down roof leaks ever since. I'm going to have to replace the rear 1/3 of the ceiling as it is so I'm just trying to get the roof sealed up before I can. I've used some Eternabond around the a/c and vents on the roof and used it to deal most leaks I have seen. The issue is that the aluminum? roof is peppered with tiny holes. I'm assuming from previous owners tossing luggage up to the luggage rack. I have to cover a large area of roof so tape is not gonna do it but something like Liquid EPDM has to be done in warmer weather. I have a trip in a month and a half and need to patch it up, even if only temporarily until spring. Any suggestions????
We tried the liquid rubber and it didn't work. DH put about 4 coats on and the roof still leaked. He had sealed all seams. Long story so I'll make is short, we finally bought thick gooey silver mobile home roofing tar - THAT WORKED! Who cares what color the roof is? At least it stopped leaking.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Wait, you put seam tape around the A/C? Why?
There were cracks in the sealant all the way around. So we sealed it up.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrince View Post
There were cracks in the sealant all the way around. So we sealed it up.
The roof mounted A/C unit has bolts squeezing it onto the roof with a gasket, no sealer required.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #11

I see.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #12

What about line-x for the pitted area? Are you going to remove the old aluminum or cover it with a membrane?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #13

This is a two year starter MH for us. Not going to do any major remodeling. The plan is to patch up what we can to make it useable. I'm thinking liquid rubber for now and a membrane in the spring.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We tried the liquid rubber and it didn't work. DH put about 4 coats on and the roof still leaked. He had sealed all seams. Long story so I'll make is short, we finally bought thick gooey silver mobile home roofing tar - THAT WORKED! Who cares what color the roof is? At least it stopped leaking.
What is the tar you bought? Remember the brand? NOTHING is stopping this leak, I leave for a trip next Thursday and have so much to do. I'm at my witt's end here.