Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
What a nightmare!! Sounds a real pain in the *** job/problem.Especially as you got it from a dealer. Cant believe the stupid places they put all that carpet...well im not overly surprised...

as on our 1987 bounder in the outside cubby that contains the water pump,everpure quick release water filter system and water pipes etc,the floor and sides of the compartment were covered in the thick pile carpet used on the main floor!!!! I couldnt believe it , what a stupid covering to put in where theres potential for leaks!!!!

So with luck being what it is ,sure enough plenty of leaks over the years , had to rip out all that useless carpet :(

Good job on finishing the huge task .Now enjoy the revamped RV
Thanks. It's going well, so far.

What the builders of these units apparently fail to understand (or willingly ignore) is that plumbing WILL leak. It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN. This is true everywhere -- in your home, your business, my hotel -- and, yes, in my motor home.

Anyone who doesn't understand this fact simply has not been exposed to enough plumbing.

I'm torn as to which way to go with the dealer. He's already paid a $920 bill to fix the cruise control (which, in fairness, he SAID he would fix BEFORE I picked up the RV, and did not), so do I want to go after him for selling me an RV full of rotten wood?

On the one hand, it's "Let the buyer beware" in all cases. On the other hand, this was a HUGE dealership, with hundreds of RVs and trailers on the lot. They SHOULD have known better -- which makes me suspect that they DID know better, and chose to pawn their troubles off on a couple of first-time buyers.

The fact that they would quickly say "moth balls" whenever we brought up the smell is another indication that they knew SOMETHING wasn't right.

What would you guys do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #16

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Go back to the dealer...nothing lost by asking with a little insisting for some compensation.

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #17

Jay, you seem to have a really good attitude about your experience here. You are attacking your problem and fixing it. I think I would just chalk it up to experience, finish your repairs and go and have fun with the motorhome. Why go and develop aggrivation?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Jay, you seem to have a really good attitude about your experience here. You are attacking your problem and fixing it. I think I would just chalk it up to experience, finish your repairs and go and have fun with the motorhome. Why go and develop aggrivation?
Yeah, I'm probably gonna do just that -- life's too short. Although I might hit 'em up for parts at their cost.

Today I finished the template for the vinyl flooring, purchased the flooring, traced the template onto the flooring, and then took a shears to $260 worth of linoleum. I finished cutting it up right as the sun set. All I can say is that thank God I've got a hangar to do all this in, cuz enough linoleum to do a motor home is a BIG sheet of vinyl.

The fun part is going to be getting the sheet into the RV, with all those in-and-out cuts, without ripping it. Assuming success, the next step will be to reinstall the 8,000 screws I took out or loosened, followed by reassembling the bathroom. Hopefully all of this will happen before the snow flies...
Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Jay, you're doing great. Usually with this stuff there are two ways to do it, the engineer way and the bean counter way. Guess which way they usually take.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Jay, you're doing great. Usually with this stuff there are two ways to do it, the engineer way and the bean counter way. Guess which way they usually take.
Thanks. I can be meticulous, when the job requires it -- and this job definitely required forethought and care.

All the work on the flooring template paid off today, as the new flooring went in (relatively) easily, and it looks GREAT. Best of all, I managed to do it with only ONE seam in the entire motor home, which will make any future water problems a complete non-event.

I briefly contemplated trying to do it all with one piece, but the thought of ripping that 22' long piece of carefully-cut vinyl made me put a seam under the bedroom door. It virtually disappeared after installation, so I'm very, very happy.

The method I devised came to me whilst laying awake last night, contemplating the job. I used ALL of my screw-drivers, prying up all the loosened bed/furniture/cabinets with a crow bar and then inserting the screw drivers to hold them up.

Starting in the back bedroom, I then carefully laid the elaborately cut sheet of vinyl, and one-screw-driver-at-a-time began "influencing" the vinyl to go beneath the area I was nearest. As it would slip underneath I could then remove the screw driver -- and I just kept working my way down the length of the RV until it was all done. Another hour of detail work with a putty knife and hammer (for those areas that the vinyl didn't QUITE go under), and a small amount of trimming later, the job was done!

I then spent a few more hours reinstalling heat ducts and nailing down carpet-to-vinyl tack strips before calling it a night. Tomorrow, I tackle reinstalling 8,000 screws...then it's on to the bathroom.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just wait until the stories hit the web about all these newer mh's. Time is money and i know some of these slide-out models are going to be horrible.
J
Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Just wait until the stories hit the web about all these newer mh's. Time is money and i know some of these slide-out models are going to be horrible.
J
Huh?

WRT our motor home rehab, the job is 99% done. The floor is done, and it turned out great. All new heat ducts, stem to stern. The bathroom is reassembled, with a new, solid sub-floor. Mary painted the bedroom and bathroom, and I installed all new hardware. (Towel bars, etc.)

I replaced the rusty old sink drains in the kitchen, too, while I was at it, and the last thing I need to do is install a new tub surround.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #23

Here are some pix taken during the floor replacement project: RV Remodel Project

Almost done. The new tub surround is ordered, and should be here later this week. I've got the RV safely tucked into a machine shed, awaiting the predicted blizzard...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #24

I used to do in-home therapy for folks. I walked into an RV living family's home, had our session and got ready to leave. As I was walking to the door I was cautioned from walking in a particular spot near the entrance. I took a look and found the particle board had lost its strength due to repeated wetting from a leaking front door. I checked the bathroom and it was amazing the toilet had not fallen thru due to sweating over the years. I knew very little about RV's in those days but surmised that cheap, glue together, particle board was not good material to put near water sensitive areas. I got a contractor to look at the rig and other spots were found as well. Advice to the young mother was to sell the RV as the damage was too extensive. The lesson to me was to look for water damage and construction material prior to purchasing a used RV or home in general for that matter. The contractor said the sweating toilet was a good place to check initially.
Rodents have always been a problem no matter where I lived. I used de-con in our home at the time and it did the job. Whatever died crawled into a place I could not locate and we had dead mouse smell for awhile. Our rig was attacked by a rodent who found our diesel rubber fuel neck hose good eating. I filled the tank up prior to a trip and began to pour diesel on the ground in our newly arrived campsite on a Sunday! We put Irish Spring in all our compartments having been told this keeps the rodents away. I dunno if the soap works but I have had no rodent problems that I know of.
I can sincerely relate to your plight, I figure they are more destructive than teenagers. Good luck with your repairs and have a good trip.
Moto
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #25

Yeah, using chip-board for flooring that might get wet is just not a smart idea. Why Dutchmen (and others) choose to use it is beyond me. The cost difference to use the right stuff (treated plywood) for the entire coach might have been a whopping $200.00, back when it was built.

The tub surround has arrived -- the dealer I bought the unit from has picked up the cost -- but the RV is tucked safely away in a machine shed on a farm about 20 miles south of town. After yesterday's blizzard, I doubt that the gravel road leading to the farm has been plowed adequately for me to get it out -- not to mention that it's about 10 above zero here now.

What a stunning change in weather. A week ago, I was working on the RV at my hangar. Ten days ago, I was working in shirtsleeves. Toda, you would be dead in an hour if you tried that.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHoneck View Post
Huh?

WRT our motor home rehab, the job is 99% done. The floor is done, and it turned out great. All new heat ducts, stem to stern. The bathroom is reassembled, with a new, solid sub-floor. Mary painted the bedroom and bathroom, and I installed all new hardware. (Towel bars, etc.)

I replaced the rusty old sink drains in the kitchen, too, while I was at it, and the last thing I need to do is install a new tub surround.

SORRY, WRONG THREAD
J
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #27
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHoneck View Post
Yeah, using chip-board for flooring that might get wet is just not a smart idea. Why Dutchmen (and others) choose to use it is beyond me. The cost difference to use the right stuff (treated plywood) for the entire coach might have been a whopping $200.00, back when it was built.

The tub surround has arrived -- the dealer I bought the unit from has picked up the cost -- but the RV is tucked safely away in a machine shed on a farm about 20 miles south of town. After yesterday's blizzard, I doubt that the gravel road leading to the farm has been plowed adequately for me to get it out -- not to mention that it's about 10 above zero here now.

What a stunning change in weather. A week ago, I was working on the RV at my hangar. Ten days ago, I was working in shirtsleeves. Toda, you would be dead in an hour if you tried that.
We didn't get the blizzard up here, but it sure turned cold fast (-8 F yesterday morning). Ma Nature only blessed us with 4" of the white stuff. The south shore of Lake Superior got dumped on as usual. It's warm this morning at 11 F. More snow starting tomorrow night.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
We didn't get the blizzard up here, but it sure turned cold fast (-8 F yesterday morning). Ma Nature only blessed us with 4" of the white stuff. The south shore of Lake Superior got dumped on as usual. It's warm this morning at 11 F. More snow starting tomorrow night.
Well, I managed to dig the MH out of my machine shed farm storage yesterday. Golly, THAT was fun -- NOT.

Anyway, I've got the tub surround in. Gonna let if all dry overnight before drilling holes for the faucets, etc. The last step will be reinstalling the sliding shower door/curtain. Then, a few trim pieces and the entire project is complete. Whew!

Just in time to drive it to Mustang Island, Texas next week over Xmas. 2400 mile round trip... Looking forward to some sunshine and the beach!