Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #1

I'm considering the Bigfoot 40MH32ST (32' with Kodiak engine) for my fulltime, soloing adventures. It's got two slides, it's safe and is touted as a well-built machine. I figure if I get the over-cab entertainment center (instead of the bunk), it should suit my needs quite well.
I was considering Bornfree and Lazydaze, but neither brand has slides. Plus, I need to be able to trailer (or tow) my car and motorcycle. Dynaquest looked good, except the dinette (or lack of dinette) was unacceptaable for me.
Any Bigfoot owners out there? Are you pleased with it? Would you buy another one? What problems have you experienced with it?
I post this here because I'm looking for objective (honest) opinions, especially if I'm going to be spending that much money.
Thanking you in advance.
girlierider600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Girlie, in my opinion the rig you are looking at is pretty much bullet proof. Big Fott has built a great product in their truck campers for years, and the Kodiac is a great medium duty chassis. The truck is straight forward and can be fixed at most GM dealers whick is a real bonus when on the road. Have you driven it, since you are a rider I imagine a larger truck hood won't do to much to intimidate you. Take it for a good ride and see. Is it diesel or gas chassis, i would get the diesel if you can afford the extra cash. The gas is not to good on mileage in that rig. I don't know how much generator you will need, but with diesel the genny is propane and does not have a lot of fuel capacity in the LP tank.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, Jest.
Oh, yes...diesel all the way! I figure if diesel fuel becomes an issue down the road, I can use biodiesel fuel (just smells like popcorn going down the road...j/k).
I haven't test driven yet, but I've tested other class C's and some class A's. I don't see any problems (plus my dad's a an-over-the-road trucker driver with over a million miles accident free...he'd be wiling to take me to an empty parking lot for back-up lessons.). Of course, I'll test it before final purchase.
Good point about the generator...definitely something to consider. But for 1 gallon or so an hour, I could just let the engine idle, if worse comes to worse, right? I don't plan on doing a whole lot of boondocking...but it's nice to have the option if needed. I am going to working as a traveling RN for 36 hours/week, so I'm gonna need hook-up.
The other thing that is a concern is the 10 gallon water heater in the Bigfoot...other RVers say that's no problem, though. I was thinking 10 gallons=quick shower! Either that, or "navy showers".
Again, thank you.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
you will be suprised how far 10 gallons of really hot water will go, no navy showers needed. I wonder if a small diesel generator could be installed. I wouldn't plan on idling your duramax diesel for to long very often, BAD!
Where are you looking at the Big Foot ?
Ya know the right small class A will give you a ton more storage for full timing.

I think the Big Foot will save you a lot of money over the Born free with about the same quality. My brother drives full time too, his own reefer rig out of Fla.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #5

There's a Bigfoot dealership about 120 miles away from me...(nice little backroads MC ride up there to Mesa, AZ!).
I was considering a class A, but I felt a little uncomfortable about not having anything at the front end, if there's a crash. I also don't like those gigantic windows up front...makes me feel vunerable.
Class C's feel more like a "nest" to me..more cozy and contained...although I would love more storage! I also liked the "truck" feel of a class C, as opposed to a "bus" feel of a class A. But my mind is open...and I see many people realize they need more room and up-grade to class A's...maybe I should re-think what I want. Also if, I get a Class A, I can get a lift for the MC.
As I'm "downsizing" my possessions (which is incredibly liberating!), there's one thing I can't part with and that's my personal library. I have to take many of my nursing reference books on the road with me...the problem is weight! Books are heavy, especially medical books. Maybe I can get some on CD's or ebooks. Don't know, but everything will work out.
You can't idle a diesel? I just figured when you go to truck stops, you hear all the semi's idling for there entire night. Why can't you idle with a diesel in an RV? (Boy, there's so much for me to learn!).
So which brands of class A's might you recommend I look into, Jest? A good used class A might be easier to find, too. I can't find a used Bigfoot of the length I want, even when I do National searches (no one seems to get rid of them).
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge with me, Jest!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:38 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
The Big Foot Class C is a relativly new model, I doubt you will see many pre owned rigs any time soon. If I were you I'd do as many RV shows as possable, and visit as many Dealers as possable and get a real good idea of what suits you best. I would definatly consider a used coach. There are so many high quality coachs at really good prices it's amazing. Take yer scoot and putt around a bit

Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Geez, that 35'er is an amazing rig. Leave out the basement frig/freezer and entertainment center, and you have tons of storage. Even sliding shelves underneth for your books. A very well laid out and built coach.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We looked at and drove one of the 32 footers and the 35 footer too. We liked the 4-season capability, the large storage areas, the additional interior closet space, and the general layout. We did not like the large step up from the cab into the coach (DW is not able to step up easily), we were concerned about the slides (noise, dirt, air and water leaks and loss of structuraly integrity of the rig if you have a roll over). One of the rigs we went to drive had three problems we waited for them to fix while we looked over the rig. After an hour and with two items still not fixed despite 3 guys working on them we ran out of time and patients and left.

Our overall impression was that the quality of the interior was good but not outstanding; the layout was good, the extra room provided by the slides was nice but also made the bedroom unusable when the slide was in. The additional storage was very nice as was the heated basement and heated tanks.

We almost bought the 4000 32 footer but fell in love with the Born Free. As our first coach, it is just the right size for us. It also has the same chassis but has greater CCC due to no slides. The gas engine is fine and will pull my 5000# just fine even in the mountains. We would like to have had the heated tanks and larger basement but the cost was my DW could not get up the large step into the coach from the cab and she has to move out of the passenger seat frequently due to health issues.
We also did not like the dinnette or the decor.

Maybe our next one but who knows?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #9

I own the bigfoot you are looking at, it is a great rv but it is the only one I have owned. The only issue I have is that you can easily overload the circuit and trip breakers if you run the tv, microwave, and lights at the same time. The rig rocks around in the wind pretty good too. The sliding door to the bedroom is pretty cheaply made as well and will jump right off its track if you hit a bump. I have the model with the entertainment center rather than the bunk, i would go back and get the bunk if I had the choice again. It drives well though and has plenty of power for towing, you can actually pass people going up steep hills if you dont mind burning the extra diesel! Good luck with your rv whatever you choose, and any questions I would be happy to try and answer.
Bigfoot in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #10

I looked at one of the Bigfoot Class C units in Coos Bay, Oregon over the weekend. It was a used 2005 (the owner traded up) for only $64K. It was a real steal at that price. The dealer was Gibb's RV. They have pics available.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #11

girlierider, yes the Bigfoot is a nice rig. However, I am looking at the Super Nova by Gulfstream and there is a dealer in Mesa. It is only made on an International chassis with an International diesel engine. There are 2 options for an Onan generator, both of which are diesel. It also has a tow capacity of 13,000 pounds which would be more than adequate to handle your motorcycle on a lift. You can look at all of the floorplans, specs, etc. at www.gulfstream.com. Look here on IRV2 under class C motor homes and see if you can find Texastc or Tctexas, he has a wealth of knowledge on the Super Nova, good luck however you elect to proceed, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #12

girlierider, I just looked at the Big Foot spec page and they show that a 5.5 Onan Marquis diesel generator is available as an option. Having had gas, propane and now diesel generatorsthe diesel is the only way I will ever go again. Lp gives the poorest elec.output and gas is a close second. Diesel gives the best output and to my mind the least maintenance, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #13

The Super C style gets traded in on our lot frequently for a Class A pusher, mainly because of the noise, and secondarily for the turning radius.

Many people get tired of the noise on long trips with the engine just a couple feet away, instead of a coach length away. Make sure you take a long test drive, and also drive a pusher for comparison. It may not bother you.

The newer bus style chassis usually have a 55 degree or more turn angle, which is much easier to maneuver.

If you do go with the Bigfoot, I have heard nothing but good things about their products from many owners.

2002 25' Mallard Trailer
kampingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
We have a 2006 Gulfstream 6340 Endura, on a Kodiak Chassis, Duramax diesel, and an Allison transmisssiion, two slides all the bells and whistles.
Plenty of power going up hill and enginebreak for down hill. Just came back from a 6K trip out to Colorado and up north had no complaints at all. No full time stuck with a house in Florida but spend 6+ consecutive months a year in it. all the room we two need and even room for three grand girls for two months.
Over the 6K miles averaged 8.462 MPG from the flats to the Rockies, from New York to Utah.

Swannee is offline   Reply With Quote