Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I wouldn't by a rental, but mebbe that's just me. The continuum of RV use has PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP on one end and ABUSE on the other end. My hunch is that most of the RV use in a rental fleet is closer to the ABUSE end of that continuum. The inference is that past abuse equates to future need for repairs. My two cents... \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #16

Tempting as it is, I think you get what you pay for, and 22k for an RV would get you in one but what would you spend keeping it alive is the question, and would it really be worth it. I was tempted at first until I thought it through and maybe it doesn't look so good.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #17

We would...and dead. Fairly cheap, V10 and E350 so fairly industructable. That was 90,000 KM ago and its somewhere north of 170,000 now. No problems....not a one. Had to add an awning. Also added a bunch of other stuff like solar, inverter, and a whack of other stuff. It gets hard use and just keeps going. Thinks its a 4 X 4 but I remind it its not...most of the time.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #18

IMHO, our RV's are like just about anything else you buy these days. From appliances, tv's, cars, computers, etc. If it is going to break, it is usually in the first few months or weeks of its use. A lot depends on the sellers/brand reputation. You won't be selling long if you don't back up your product. Like most things, if it has been maintained properly, it will last. Each of us must make our own decisions (with the help of DH/DW) and hope they are the right ones. Comes right down to "to each his own". imho of course
Al
Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect that some rentals may be better maintained than some privately owned. To a company they are a money making item while to a cash strapped owner they can be a bottomless pit. We rented before we bought our first MH and can confirm the large deposit which would be forfeited in case of damage. Rentals are usually wrapped, plasticized and protected in a lot of ways. Follow your gut and do your research. Enjoy!
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclassC View Post
I am picking mine up on May 12th. I already had them add on the awning but is there anything else that you guys can think of that I should try to have them throw in extra before I sign the dotted line? Also, I will do a basic inspection when I pick it up but is there anything in particular I should pay attention too? Thanks for any help you guys can offer
The only thing else I would have asked them to add on would be a ladder and roof rack. Otherwise, they were happy to throw in the awning with no issues. Not having the ladder hasn't caused any issues for me, would be nice to be able to have the extra storage for a few things I keep in the motorhome while traveling. Definitely go through the entire motorhome when picking it up. Everything worked for me and has worked flawlessly for the past 6 years. The motor was (and still is) clean, it drives straight, it's been a good 1st RV for us. Oh, I would make sure you can access all tire stems so it's easy to maintain tire pressure (that was an oversight on my part), it's a pain if you don't have the stem extenders
Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #21

Wow, thank you guys for all the advice. I've written it all down and I will definitely use all the info during my initial inspection. Thanks again
Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would probably buy one if it was a deal on price. Rental cars and lease cars are put on the market by the thousands monthly. I would think the largest concern would be appearance items, nicks, tears, and scratches.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #23

I own a cruiseamerica unit and couldn't be happier. Mine had 85k on it when purchased. Absolutely no problems! I looked at a lot of "quality private owned units" and most had lot rot! It's 8 yrs old and only 9k miles! We'll needs new roof from just sitting. Smells funky. A lot of abuse from private owners with more money than brains! If I'm responsible for a rental unit I will take care of it so as not to be charged. Buyers must beware of motor homes that don't move. A lot of problems from sitting. Just my opinion. I'm delighted with mine. Oh, I just returned to tx from a 1 mo. And 3k mile trip in the colorado rockies. Pulling a wrangler. No problems.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought from Cruise America 2 yrs ago. There was an issue w the unit we purchased and Cruise America replaced the unit we bought with a year newer unit with 20k less miles to rectify the situation.

We lived in it for several months while our home was repaired from a fire. Have camped many times with it and I drive it alone without DH to dog shows. This year I drove from WA to OH and back. Not a single problem with it so far.

I'd buy from a rental company again.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lonewolf View Post
I hear it's a good way to get into a starter RV but it's a really good idea?
We got our 2012 Thor Freedom Elite 26E last Nov 2013 from Camping World - it was a Camping World rental and it was not tore up at all, one dinette cushion was a little flat and the swivel chair behind the front pass seat had a small tear but otherwise very clean - 45,000 miles on it with not mechanical issues at all. we paid 30K less then book, a $500.00 certificate for the camping world store and a 2 year Good Sam Elite membership - have been very happy with it except for gas mileage (V-10) but that was to be expected prior rental or not - so far have been on 2 trips from WV to AZ and 1 from WV to FL

We were not really looking when we got it but our Fleetwood Southwind started giving us a lot of problems on a trip and the DW when we hit Little Rock said she was not going any further in that rig - it was the best bang for the buck

Do your homework on the rig you are looking at and if it was a rental offer a min of 30% below book

The cons are No Awning, no rear ladder to roof and no jack which we discovered on our last trip when we had a flat but we have had good sam road assistance for years (ten times better then AAA) and they sent someone out to chance the tire - I carry a bottle jack now to change the tire myself - we were in the middle of nowhere Kansas and it took 2 hours for the truck to get to us but no problems just popped a movie in and waited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	70752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2456.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	70753  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	70754  
Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Turn on and test every light and appliance, all plumbing, dump valves, etc. Note in writing anything that doesn't seem right to add to the repair list in the sales agreement. It should take a number of hours to go through it all. The tech and I added water to fresh water tank, tried all fixtures and flushed toilet, then hooked up slinky and dumped black and grey. Using a multimeter, I verified all batteries charged on alternator, shore power, and generator. Furnace, water heater, both A/C etc. all tested. Check tires date codes and air pressures. Check when last oil & lube service was done.

With three females in my family, take two hair dryers, plug em in and run them at the same time and see how many breakers you trip.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cruise America added an Awning for $500.00

I'd definitely suggest asking if you can get one added as part of the sale. It gives you more outdoor living comfort 😊

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNPonyshow View Post
Cruise America added an Awning for $500.00

I'd definitely suggest asking if you can get one added as part of the sale. It gives you more outdoor living comfort 😊
We were in the middle of a trip to Ariz when our Southwind Class A gave up the ghost last November - would have had to stay for an additional 3 days in Little Rock to get a awning installed - as a temp we got a 12x10 screened canopy that goes up in 10 minutes (expansion frame that you just pull out attach the top and screen then extend the legs) from wally world for less then 200.00 - we actually like it better and we can park both bikes under it and have decided to stay with it instead of adding a awning - we may in the future add one - found a company that has electric awnings for 500 in South Carolina but for now we will stick with this

Tags
travel