Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, I don't know what I am doing

Good morning everyone. I have a water heater problem. The ceramic around the ignitor is cracked again. The wires in the compartment are just about toast. So I want to replace the orginal 6 gal waterheater. I am thinking of using a tankless one. Now I will admit that I don't really know how to use this forum very well. I know that there is a ton of knowledge available here. I did a search, but I guess I didn't do it properly. I thought I searched in the Class C forum for info on TANKLESS WATERHEATERS, nothing was found. I am thinking that there is something here on the heaters. I just don't know how to search for it. And that is my fault for not knowing how to use the resourses of this forum. If someone would tell how to do a search, I would be very happy. I have a month before the next long weekend trip to replace the heater, so I have time.
Any info, thoughts, pro or con on tankless waterheaters, brands, etc.
Thanks
Safe Travels
Bill

Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #2

The search you really want to perform is "RV Tankless Water heaters" and you do get a very decent return. RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard - PPL Motor Homes
I am all for tankless heaters....I do not have one in my rig or home but have bumped shoulders with several RVers that are using them and they are said to cut fuel costs (propane) and offer very good heating on demand (you do not run out of hot water like we do with the tank.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

Several problems with residential tankless water heaters in an RV application.
1. Power requirements exceed your 30 amp limit on your class C. A gas unit would probably drain your tank pretty quick.
2. Size. Not sure how you would fit one of these units in to the available space.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Several problems with residential tankless water heaters in an RV application.
1. Power requirements exceed your 30 amp limit on your class C. A gas unit would probably drain your tank pretty quick.
2. Size. Not sure how you would fit one of these units in to the available space.
SEE the PPL site mentioned above. It's an RV tankless and replaces (same size) as the 6 or 10 gal. current WH...It's gas so uses only a small amount of 12 VDC for control panel and an estimated 60% less gas....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #5

Watched the video. If you gave me a tankless I would sell it. *Up to* 60 deg heating over ambient is not sufficient increase around here much of the year. I'd put in a new like for like tank heater. I would be tempted to upgrade to an gas/electric unit. YMMV.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Gocoffeer for the info on the search, and the link to PPL's video.
Safe Travels
Bill
Bill----WWJU
Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Bill.. you are welcome....Let us know if you go that direction and what you personally think of the heater after you install it. I am all for saving that hard earned $ when it comes to a long term investment that you get to use everyday.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Gocoffeer, well I went witha a Suburban 16 gal gas and electric water heater. After talking to the lady in the parts dept. at PPL Motors. They have a lot of them returned because the heaters just can't produce enough hot water. Well I want hot water. I have the space for the larger heater. so I went for it. The lack of enough hot water from a tank less heater, I have read a number of articles about that. NOPE, gotta have hot water. I think 16 gallons will do the trick. After I get the tank up to temp, I can turn off the gas and just run on the electric. So saving those hard earned bucks. The model I ordered is SW16DE, Direct Spark, also the switch and the door. With this unit I know I will have lots of hot water. Also it was on sale.
Safe Travels
Bill
Bill----WWJU
Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #9

If you want an RV tankless water heater, look at this one RV-550 – Tankless Water Heater for RVs and Trailers - PrecisionTemp
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #10

Thanks for letting me know what you went with.... I have the old traditional gas model and my travels and use of the RV are not aligned with camping or fulltiming. I use my RV as a cycling lockerroom so to speak. The wife and I got older and wanted a sport we both enjoyed so back into bicycling. We converted our RV into something that we use to haul bikes...take showers ...use on weekend trips or as a pedal to point for overnite rides. It has made biking so much more fun. Hotwater is important to us too....Im trying to determine if I can solarize that portion of this RV and capture some less expensive hot water....we shall see.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Watched the video. If you gave me a tankless I would sell it. *Up to* 60 deg heating over ambient is not sufficient increase around here much of the year. I'd put in a new like for like tank heater. I would be tempted to upgrade to an gas/electric unit. YMMV.

If input water supply was 40 degrees a 60 degree rise would make it 100 degrees. For a shower if you didn't mix any cold water in, just turned on hot water only, this would seem to be sufficient ? Right ? And since it's tankless, the stream of 100 degree water would be unlimited.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Yep, I don't know what I am doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If input water supply was 40 degrees a 60 degree rise would make it 100 degrees. For a shower if you didn't mix any cold water in, just turned on hot water only, this would seem to be sufficient ? Right ? And since it's tankless, the stream of 100 degree water would be unlimited.
I do not think 100 degrees F would be very comfortable as body temp is 98.6F. No steam at that temp F. Nothermark is from New York.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good morning Gocoffeer, I know what you mean having a nice shower after a good ride. I am a cyclist also. I ride a TerraTrike Rover 8, recumbent. I ride a trike due to vision lose. Kinda feel uneasy on a 2 wheeler now days.
Love my Rover 8. Like to take if with me where ever I go. I ride mostly around town, I don't drive anymore, due to the vision issue. I get in a lot of miles here in town though. LOVE TO RIDE.
Safe Travels
Bill
Bill----WWJU
Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
I do not think 100 degrees F would be very comfortable as body temp is 98.6F. No steam at that temp F. Nothermark is from New York.
Paul

I'm certainly not advocating for tankless water heaters, but a commercial hot tub operates generally at temps no hotter than 104. Also, input water temps are more likely to be around 50 degrees or greater due to water lines being underground. Will it be limited in really cold weather? Yes, but you are also limited with a conventional 6-10 gal LP heater. The AquaHot models, which are highly regarded, are rated at 1.5 gal per minute at 55 degrees above input water.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote