Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
WDW

FMCA changes....

If you haven't read Chuck's column on RVTravel. Com, you should stop over and read about his thoughts as they relate to FMCA's strategic move towards allowing other classes of RV owners into the membership.

Personally I think it's probably a good idea. I think Chuck makes a great case The needed to change goes with the changing profile of who owns an RV today versus those of five and 10 years prior.

If you look at the two other major groups, he's dead on the money that good Sam is nothing more than a marketing tool for Camping World. Good for them, they had the insight to scoop up an undervalued product and have used it as a vehicle to create more revenue than what they produce selling RV's. Other than the appearance of discounts when shopping at the store and a few campgrounds that give you a 10% discount there isn't a whole lot of reason to belong for what is in essence about $25 a year if you renew or buy it at the right package. Personally I think camping world retail store model is a failure. Unless they find a way for it to compete with the likes of Amazon and Walmart they will never succeed as a profitable division.

As for FMCA I belong. Why… I wanted one of those nifty looking signs on the back of my RV. But as to the rest of the story, why should I belong? What is it that they offer me as a non-rally participant?

The recent announcement that they're adding concierge level glass service is a huge plus. The tire discount program is a huge plus. The medical or motorhome return program probably is an advantage but I'd rather not have to take advantage of those options to see if they were in adequate product for my use any urgency situation.

As a family with kids in school, their rallies really don't lend themselves to my schedule. I'm not sure that the program lends itself to "family" participation. And potluck dinners are never going to be in our quality world.

The word family in the organizational title certainly is a misnomer. With the average participants age of 71 years as cited in other written accounts, I doubt many are like some of us that are traveling with kids. We are the untapped market for a membership that has a value.

I think the evolution has to be put in the baby boomer buying era of motorhomes, fifth wheels and trailers. Its got to become about the value added of membership participation. Most of us that are joining upward swing of new participants and owners for travel destination experiences. Certainly folks with far more expensive coaches than ours are not out for old fashion camping. I doubt that many are pulling into the regional state parks to practice Flytying at the kitchen table while mama reads a book They're out touring the country and want a certain level of support

I would suggest that resorts, campgrounds and membership organizations need to add value value or security for their recreational vehicle experiences. I believe KOA does this and they do it reasonably well. Both with their discounts, earning points for using their facilities and the recent addition of local coupon discount for different services.

Not that all of their facilities are easy to access. Not that all of them are worth what they charge for what you get. And certainly I have been a critic of several not being worthy to carry the brand's flag for what they deliver.

Along those lines, Coach-Net has certainly become the premium roadside security product. I haven't seen it in person, but I understand that the annual subscription has just about doubled. If that's true what can FMCA do to add that as a serious part of their annual membership and offer the same level of service and reputation the Coach-Net has? That would give me a reason to continue my membership and others to join.

Just like the idea that quality of motorhomes exiting the plant prior to delivery needs to dramatically improve, so does the necessity of membership based organizations need to grow what they offer. Maybe someday destination places of campgrounds well actually catch up too!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From what I have heard FMCA possibly will soon accept other classes of RVS with all the same benefits as a coach but under a different title...FRVA or something to that regard. Same management and perks just a more appropriate name. Sounds fine to me.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
If you haven't read Chuck's column on RVTravel. Com, you should stop over and read about his thoughts as they relate to FMCA's strategic move towards allowing other classes of RV owners into the membership.

Personally I think it's probably a good idea. I think Chuck makes a great case The needed to change goes with the changing profile of who owns an RV today versus those of five and 10 years prior.

If you look at the two other major groups, he's dead on the money that good Sam is nothing more than a marketing tool for Camping World. Good for them, they had the insight to scoop up an undervalued product and have used it as a vehicle to create more revenue than what they produce selling RV's. Other than the appearance of discounts when shopping at the store and a few campgrounds that give you a 10% discount there isn't a whole lot of reason to belong for what is in essence about $25 a year if you renew or buy it at the right package. Personally I think camping world retail store model is a failure. Unless they find a way for it to compete with the likes of Amazon and Walmart they will never succeed as a profitable division.

As for FMCA I belong. Why… I wanted one of those nifty looking signs on the back of my RV. But as to the rest of the story, why should I belong? What is it that they offer me as a non-rally participant?

The recent announcement that they're adding concierge level glass service is a huge plus. The tire discount program is a huge plus. The medical or motorhome return program probably is an advantage but I'd rather not have to take advantage of those options to see if they were in adequate product for my use any urgency situation.

As a family with kids in school, their rallies really don't lend themselves to my schedule. I'm not sure that the program lends itself to "family" participation. And potluck dinners are never going to be in our quality world.

The word family in the organizational title certainly is a misnomer. With the average participants age of 71 years as cited in other written accounts, I doubt many are like some of us that are traveling with kids. We are the untapped market for a membership that has a value.

I think the evolution has to be put in the baby boomer buying era of motorhomes, fifth wheels and trailers. Its got to become about the value added of membership participation. Most of us that are joining upward swing of new participants and owners for travel destination experiences. Certainly folks with far more expensive coaches than ours are not out for old fashion camping. I doubt that many are pulling into the regional state parks to practice Flytying at the kitchen table while mama reads a book They're out touring the country and want a certain level of support

I would suggest that resorts, campgrounds and membership organizations need to add value value or security for their recreational vehicle experiences. I believe KOA does this and they do it reasonably well. Both with their discounts, earning points for using their facilities and the recent addition of local coupon discount for different services.

Not that all of their facilities are easy to access. Not that all of them are worth what they charge for what you get. And certainly I have been a critic of several not being worthy to carry the brand's flag for what they deliver.

Along those lines, Coach-Net has certainly become the premium roadside security product. I haven't seen it in person, but I understand that the annual subscription has just about doubled. If that's true what can FMCA do to add that as a serious part of their annual membership and offer the same level of service and reputation the Coach-Net has? That would give me a reason to continue my membership and others to join.

Just like the idea that quality of motorhomes exiting the plant prior to delivery needs to dramatically improve, so does the necessity of membership based organizations need to grow what they offer. Maybe someday destination places of campgrounds well actually catch up too!

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Been a member since 2006. Look forward to having owners of other types of RV's in the club.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You mention kids in school but not your age. We are FMCA members and their FMCA Energized group for members under 60. At each rally there is a kids meet and greet and many under 60 events. Of course every member is invited but they try to gear events for those of us with kids.

As with any membership you get out of it what you put in to it.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #5

A well written, cogently presented post on an interesting topic. It is evident that you put much thought into this. Ever consider writing ad copy for a living? Thanks much for your perspective.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #6

I am a recent FMCA member, and one of the things I don't get is the bang for the buck in their group activities, particularly touring groups. Someone please explain to me why they would pay $2,000 - $3,000 for 7 days in a couple of RV camp grounds, maybe group bus transport to some nearby tourist attractions and a few group dining experiences at area restaurants?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
A well written, cogently presented post on an interesting topic. It is evident that you put much thought into this. Ever consider writing ad copy for a living? Thanks much for your perspective.

LOL ---Thank you!

If you are hiring, PM me. It's called a wayward misspent youth in broadcasting and a career in teaching and administration.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good comments and a good article on the topic. I had the opportunity a month ago to email President Adcock on the topic when I first heard about it and then he called me back to discuss the topic. I agree that bringing towables is the only future of the FMCA. I don't think they need to form a second association just bring them in as a FMCA member otherwise you taking away resources from one organization to support the other and in the end (by sales figures alone) the FMCA would be the little brother to a larger towable organization. Aside from towable articles in the FMCA Magazine nothing else would really have to change. The articles shouldn't bother anyone as already most of us skip over the Gas articles or the diesel articles that don't apply to what we own. If this is handled right the FMCA could emerge as the preeminent leader of rv owners. Hopefully the end results would be a vibrant organization with lots of things to do for all ages and a stabilization of dues and benefits.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
This past year FMCA spent over $260,000 on advertising trying to increase membership. My question is : where have they advertised? Has anyone seen an ad in Motorhome Magazine, has anyone seen an ad in any magazine that rv people might read? Trailer Life, nope! AARP, nope. There is the Elks magazine, nope nothing there. There numerous magazines devoted to dog shows, nope, nothing there.Lots of show dog owners travel in motorhomes. Horse magazines, cat magazines, nope. There are magazines devoted to off roading, nope, nothing there.

The $260,000 does not include the $250,000 that the executive board "donated" to a social media board (can't tell you which one because I got assessed "points" for mentioning the name of it here). The outcome was supposed to be an addition of 7,000 new members to FMCA. That is yet to be seen.

Most importantly, has anyone from FMCA talked to any towable organizations or towable owners to see if they want to become a member of FMCA?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I belong to FMCA and also a local RV group. A few of the non MH owners in the RV group have expressed interest in joining FMCA.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #11

My wife and I belong to the national as well as the local NJ group. We are early 40's with a 3 year old. We like it because it gives a reason to go camping in places we wouldn't ordinarily go camping. For example I had never heard of Thousand Islands, the group camped there last spring and it was awesome.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I belong to FMCA and also a local RV group. A few of the non MH owners in the RV group have expressed interest in joining FMCA.
If FMCA tries to bring towables in under the MotorCoach banner you will have a fight from more current members than you can imagine. Some now don't consider a B class motorized RV to be a "coach". It is just the way it is, classes that already exist, get vocal if their status is infringed upon. So to keep the peace, towables will have their own name like FRVA. FRVA will be a a banner, a large section in the current magazine, and a separate section at any national rallies, just like now. Equal but separate. Over time the towable membership will be larger than the coach membership, and things may change then. This is my prediction.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't think there is any "fight" between class A, B, or C owners, at least from my perspective. When we park, coaches are intermixed unless a group of Roadtreckers or Pleasureways come in as a group and then they are parked as a group.

An interesting observation on the Chandler and the Indianapolis registration forms is the block to check if you are coming in a towable. Nothing wrong there except they are required to purchase electric!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
This past year FMCA spent over $260,000 on advertising trying to increase membership. My question is : where have they advertised? Has anyone seen an ad in Motorhome Magazine, has anyone seen an ad in any magazine that rv people might read? Trailer Life, nope! AARP, nope. There is the Elks magazine, nope nothing there. There numerous magazines devoted to dog shows, nope, nothing there.Lots of show dog owners travel in motorhomes. Horse magazines, cat magazines, nope. There are magazines devoted to off roading, nope, nothing there.

The $260,000 does not include the $250,000 that the executive board "donated" to a social media board (can't tell you which one because I got assessed "points" for mentioning the name of it here). The outcome was supposed to be an addition of 7,000 new members to FMCA. That is yet to be seen.

Most importantly, has anyone from FMCA talked to any towable organizations or towable owners to see if they want to become a member of FMCA?
Don, I got the impression that towable owners were asking the FMCA to change so they can become members. After reading your post about the advertising expenditures for recruiting ads that I too haven't seen anywhere. The problem maybe in the operation of the organization itself. I am disappointed to hear that a donation was made to a social media site, which will remain nameless, and I have a good idea which one. When I wrote the President, before I knew of the donation, I pointed out that websites make money and sending people to another site, especially one that is cumbersome as that one is, is a mistake. People stay in organizations when they get the perceived value of their membership dues in return and those benefits have to be available only at that organization. With the availability of Internet searches, comprehensive forums like iRV2 and the readily available ability to check prices online the organizations like FMCA have to kick it up a notch to keep and attract members. No longer will a small discount (on tires, ins. etc.), rallies, magazines with dated articles and reviews will suffice to keep the members renewing when they can find the benefit/answers/travel information elsewhere. I read the FMCA magazine when I get it however I must have missed the expenditures - are they posted elsewhere?
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote