Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

FMCA vs. Good Sam Club

Hi folks! The wife and I bought a '89 Southwind last spring. It had an old Good Sam Club sticker on it so I looked it up and joined. My membership renewal is coming due soon but I don't know if I really want to renew again. There's also an old FMCA placard on the grill of my RV and I looked that up as well. As far as I can tell it appears that the FMCA is a better bang for my buck. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which is the better deal? Among some other minor bennies what I'm wanting most is something that will get me some roadside assistance discounts as well as some campground discounts. While I'm on the topic of clubs, my brother has a lifetime camping membership of some sort that he wants to give me. I do have to pay a "transfer" fee. It supposedly gets us free (or reduced) rates at campgrounds that participate in that club. He said there "hundreds" of campgrounds on the list but I was wondering if any of you had experience with these clubs and, if so, are they worth it? He said he paid like $2,500 for it or close to that. Thanks.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have renewed my FMCA membership however my Good Sam membership is somewhat on hold at the moment .... Given both programs I believe that the FMCA membership is a better deal.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #3

Only FMCA membership includes medical evac coverage. Good Sam is mostly about junk mail without end.
BE SURE TO ASK ABOUT ANNUAL COST in fees before you takeover his membership at any price. Some membership camping allows a graceful exit after xx years BUT many expect the dues or fees or what they choose to call them every year FOREVER.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

Thank you so much for your input. I agree that since I signed up with Good Sam I have seen a notable increase in related junk mail.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blong to both as some campgrounds do not give discount to FMCA. For the amount of money, why not.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I too ditched GSC after my mailman had to have a hernia operation.

FMCA has all the programs I need without being intrusive.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have both Good Sam and FMCA. My junk mail subsided after I became a GS Life Member many years ago. GS has the campground discounts, FMCA has the medical evacuation program. Both have great camping chapters and I would encourage you to join one in your area.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Good Sam but I called them and told them if the mail continued I would not renew my membership. That worked great. I am considering joining FMCA but have not done that yet....
1clickaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I have renewed my FMCA membership however my Good Sam membership is somewhat on hold at the moment .... Given both programs I believe that the FMCA membership is a better deal.
Agreed, we pay the yearly FMCA fee but have a Charter Lifetime Good Sam membership too. Until this year I felt that the Good Sam was largely wasted money, now with the promised changes I'm feeling better about it. If we hadn't bought the Lifetime membership I probably would have dropped it years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I have both Good Sam and FMCA. My junk mail subsided after I became a GS Life Member many years ago. GS has the campground discounts, FMCA has the medical evacuation program. Both have great camping chapters and I would encourage you to join one in your area.
Most places that have a GS discount will also give you the same for an FMCA membership we've found.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Hi Ron,I keep both of them,both have perks,I also go to Rallys by both of them.I have been to nat for FMCA and states for Good Sams.Both were fun,but nationals was too big. Like already stated look very close at the paper work on camping.Some of them look sweet on top ,but the cake is bad.I find Pass port. pays for itself in just a few nights if you camp during the week.
Good Luck ---Warm Fires Cold Drinks----Bill
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have Good Sam.. hate the junk mail and renewal notices started a week after I got my membership package ! I did sign up for the GS Med Evac Program and pray that I never need it.

Plan to join FMCA soon just to help out with renewing the Michellin XRV's...

Have been 31 year Thousand Trails / NACO / Equity Lifestyles member. Has parks, resorts, condos all over USA. Been a Platnium Plus Member for last 6 years, stay 3 weeks, then relocate, no out time, unlimited stays, dues were frozen on 62nd birthday and 20 days of stays each year more than pay for dues after which it is like freebies !!!!! Those places where no TTN/ELS I used RPI and Resorts of Distinction as well as a few Enjoy America Campground discounts. Even got desperate for a while and joined KOA, which I did not find any value in at all... lol

A little review, study and internet info can help you decide which if any work for you.

Enjoy and be safe !
Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
Have Good Sam.. hate the junk mail and renewal notices started a week after I got my membership package ! I did sign up for the GS Med Evac Program and pray that I never need it.

Plan to join FMCA soon just to help out with renewing the Michellin XRV's...
FMCA membership includes a medical evac package as part of the perks at no extra cost.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Though I am not a big Good Sam fan, I feel that organization is much more inclusive to owners of all RVs whereas FMCA limits membership according to their website:

"Membership in FMCA is conditional upon ownership of a qualifying coach: a Type/Class A, B, or C motorhome, or a bus conversion, that contains all of the conveniences of home (including cooking, sleeping, and permanent sanitary facilities)."

Our choice of RV travel has always been a fifth wheel. Camping and RVing is about the experience in my opinion, not in the rig you drive or tow. We spend our money with organizations that recognize that fact, like GS and Escapees.