Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Safer to stay away from rallies where everyone is jammed in. From stories I hear, exhaust directed directly at a neighbor's motorhome is a common occurrence at rallies. Also, there is always the possibility that exhaust directed up can enter a neighbor or even your roof vents.

My exhaust goes out the rear of the coach. Not certain if that is better or not but at least it's not aimed at anyone on the side of me under someones window or patio awning.

I think I'll pass on all rallies, especially those with hundreds of motorhomes.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Tom,

Couldn't agree with you more. While we love meeting new people and the camraderie of others on the road, being jammed in like sardines in a can holds no magic for us. No electric, shared water and few facilities are not for us.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I enjoyed the Rally in Perry this past March. Did not stay at the Fairgrounds. We stayed at a private campground with full hook-ups and took part in the rally with Passport entry. To me, thats the best of both worlds. Besides, DW doesn't do "NO HOOK-UPS".
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of things I've observed with the Genturi on our Cheetah built by Monoco.
First: our Onan exhaust pipe is already supported with a bracket and it is plenty strong enough to hold the extra 20 pounds of the Genturi. So there isn't a possibility of any cracking between the exhaust pipe and the generator.
Second: There is a four inch air gap between the Genturi pipe and the generator exhaust to suppress any backpressure. I evidenced some exhaust actually escaping out of this air gap. Usually under windy conditions.
Third:
Our air conditioners/heatpumps suck air from the inside of the motorhome and not from the outside. There are however a couple of regular roof vents that the exhaust may be able to fall back in. The exhaust fans if they are on blow from the inside out.
These may be some fatal last words, but I'll take my chances at the dogshows and rallys.
I don't condone putting a flexible metal hose directly to the end of the exhaust pipe if there are multiple bends and no air gap. Obviously if your rv is not designed to where the use of a generator exhaust extention can be used safely, don't use one.

Play safe folks,

AKBrick
Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #19

I agree with Tom. I have thought for awhile now that the FMCA does not take individual coach comfort and safety to heart.
Crowding, mud, inability to leave most spaces without others leaving, even in an emergency, failure to offer safe distances between coaches allowing for fire safety and illimination of toxic fumes.
Yes the association has advanced over the past few years. It has not kept up with the times.
Maybe it would be better to park 4700 vehicles instead of 5500 and so on.
Today for a reasonable fee there are companies that offer temp electrical power for all sorts of needs. With disaster preparation companies come new ideas and lots of available equipment for rent. That is fact.
I have paid dues to FMCA for years and am paid up for many in advance. Would not subject myself to the abuse recieved by parking on location.
I know they have new paved lots, yada, yada, yada. It is still not enough to offer to dues paying members who for the most part are just learning the ropes.
It is my opinion that all association rally's should be STATE OF THE ART.
It is thier responsibility to offer the most for less. That covers exspierience, learning, ammenities and memories.
Up pipes work, immagine a TRUCK STOP if every one had grass burner exhaust.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Crowding, mud, inability to leave most spaces without others leaving, even in an emergency, failure to offer safe distances between coaches allowing for fire safety and illimination of toxic fumes.
Yes the association has advanced over the past few years. It has not kept up with the times.
Maybe it would be better to park 4700 vehicles instead of 5500 and so on.
Today for a reasonable fee there are companies that offer temp electrical power for all sorts of needs. With disaster preparation companies come new ideas and lots of available equipment for rent. That is fact.
I have paid dues to FMCA for years and am paid up for many in advance. Would not subject myself to the abuse recieved by parking on location.
I know they have new paved lots, yada, yada, yada. It is still not enough to offer to dues paying members who for the most part are just learning the ropes.
It is my opinion that all association rally's should be STATE OF THE ART.
It is thier responsibility to offer the most for less. That covers exspierience, learning, ammenities and memories. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. I would like to stay on site at the rallies but will not because of the conditions in the "campground". I didn't by my motorhome to be stuffed like a sardine in a substandard camp area so that I "can have fun". Where's the fun?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote