Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #1

Where does one find generator updraft exhaust pipes?
FMCA NE rallies require them.

2005 Dutch Star
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #2

Where does one find generator updraft exhaust pipes?
FMCA NE rallies require them.

2005 Dutch Star
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #3

You can order one from Camping World. It's called a Genturi.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look for gen-turi, I bought mine at Camping World.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #5

When I was at my first FMCA rally in Brownsville FL this February I was very concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning. On a quiet, no wind evening the stench was unbearable. CO is odorless but diesel exhaust is not. At the time I did not realize my propane/CO detector required two 1 Amp fuses. I had only one installed for the propane detector, none for the CO detector. The coaches were packed so close together one could not leave until your neighbor moved.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has gotten sick or worse from this problem.

Thank you Larry Shaw for your contribution from the "RV Generator Handbook"¯ <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Statement Regarding Exhaust Extensions
Cummins Power Generation, manufacturer of Cummins Onan generator products, does not endorse the use of RV generator exhaust pipe extensions. Like all fuel burning devices, engine-driven generators emit carbon monoxide (CO) which, if not safely handled, can produce serious injury or death.
Cummins Onan generators, in conjunction with RV OEM installed tailpipes, are designed to meet RVIA standards for safely handling exhaust gasses while minimizing noise and maximizing generator performance. Improper modifications to the exhaust components can result in unreasonable hazards to the vehicle occupants.
Cummins Power Generation has been unable to this date to identify any commercially available exhaust extension kit which meets reasonable standards for safely handling exhaust gases.

Cummins Power Generation's concerns revolve around 6 areas:
1. Weight: Unless entirely self supporting, extensions add weight to the end of the generator tail pipe which can stress and crack or break the exhaust system parts that are not designed to carry the additional weight. This could result in exhaust gases escaping directly under the coach, and therefore could be extremely dangerous to vehicle occupants.
2. Fit: To be effective conveyors of exhaust, connections & joints must be gastight. Such connections are not guaranteed unless the exhaust extension kit is properly assembled each time it is used.
3. Exhaust Direction: Because exhaust extensions vent at the roof line, there is a major concern that exhaust will be sucked in by rooftop air conditioners, vents and windows.
4. Heat: Many extension designs involve exposed metal that can be a burn hazard to anyone passing by who might contact the exposed extension pipe.
5. Backpressure: Adding an extension may increase backpressure on the engine, and thereby reduce engine performance or cause the engine to fail meeting government-regulated exhaust standards.
6. Warranty: The use of an exhaust extension kit may void the Cummins Onan warranty.
Larry Shaw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had hoped "Up pipes"¯ might be the solution. Well now, asphyxiation from below or asphyxiation from above? Not a great choice. Are the only reasonable alternatives electric hookups or skip the rally?

More space between coaches could be a possible solution. Anyone have a suggestion on minimum spacing for those choosing to use generators?

This is such a wonder forum for ideas. Perhaps we can come up with practical solutions for rally organizers and attendees.

2005 Dutch Star
Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Electric hook up could be provided. Cost would be increased.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made mine from 2" ABS pipe and a 2x1.5x2 sanitary tee. Seems to work well.

Did anyone see the news story about the guy who died at the last Indy 500 race. He died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the RV camping area.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #8

I have a genturi and think that they should be manditory all rallys due to the exhaust smell and danger.
homey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #9

homey54: Welcome to iRV2.com Glad you joined and have now made your first post. FWIW, I agree with your statement.

We look forward to hearing more from you in future posts! THANKS, ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
At a rally ask Onan about using a Venturi on an Onan generator.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #11

TOM: been there, done that. At an FMCA Convention "roundtable" presentation by represenatives from several genset manufactureres, this concept was hashed and re-hashed. The reps ALL said they could not endorse or recommend the use of ANYTHING that modifys their engineered design. After much "hashing" they all admitted that their position about not suggesting "up pipes" was driven more by their legal departments than by concerns about damage to the gensets. HOWEVER, they did make the obligatory warnings about "possible" warranty denials IF such devices "may" have caused a failure.

I've tried to accurately described the roundtable to the best of my memory. Take my comments for what they are worth. I will run the risk of damaging my genset before I'll spew exhaust towards the coach beside me. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just love the fact that the lawers in this country are looking out for my safety.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWIW, at the FMCA convention in Pomona the RV next to us pumped diesel exhaust directly at us. My other neighbor thanked me for using the genturi. I would rather use it and not worry about carbon monoxide poisoning.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #14

So how long is Onan's warranty? Is it worth a life? I imagine the family that lost their loved one at the Indy race would rather have him instead of the generator. I also imagine the family parked next to them with the generator are miserable knowing that they MIGHT have caused this persons death.

Seems to me that the answer here is a no brainer.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote