Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Blog or Website?

For all of you that earn income with your blog or website - why did you choose one over the other?

I've been looking at a lot of RV and travel blogs since I have decided to become a fulltimer [still planning - not there yet]. I personally own several dog+ dog care related websites, some of which that are monitized, but have never been tempted to blog. This may well change when I am on the road, as I will have more time for creative writing. One of the things I am having a hard time with when visiting blogs - on some of them there seems to be an abundance of useful/helpful information - but it is difficult to find and you often have to wade through endless chitchat to get to the gold nuggets [one reason why I personally have websites and not blogs as of this time]. I think info on websites is easier to find when properly linked and/or a site search is given.

With blogging - can you do the same thing [having an index of searchable pages rather than just a monthly date listing]?

If you have both - a website and a blog - which one do you find more suitable for monetizing and which type tends to create more income for you?

Also by looking through some of your blogs, I see a lot of e-books offered. How well do they sell for you - compared to Amazon, Adsense or affiliate products/programs?

Do you use Twitter or Facebook to direct traffic to your websites or blogs? How much of your traffic [rough percentage] comes from search engines, vs. twitter. FB or forums?

Who do you prefer to host your blogs with? Is the cost similar to website hosting?

Thanks for sharing your experiences...

DogLdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #2

Just a little input, I would suggest a blog, website or even an online store can be free of hosting charges!

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #3

I'm aware of that - and I have 2 that are free, and 3 paid ones. However the hosting fees for a mini website are so negligible, that I feel that the trade off for one is well worth the .com name that goes with it, instead of having an extra long www.somethingoranother.something.com

Now both of my bigger websites cost more than I want them too, LOL - but well worth paying for. Actually they pay for themselves and then some .
DogLdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #4

I guess I don't understand the question. A domain name only cost $20 for two years.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote