Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:45 AM   #1

Camp hosting solves a couple of problems

We are camp hosting in MN SP for the first time. (they still have openings for the '17 season). MN DNR really put together a nice program. We work at our own pace (1-2 hours a day), keep active, and save a bunch of $. The program I'd open to anyone for application. Glad we tried it and will likely reapply next year.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
We are camp hosting in MN SP for the first time. (they still have openings for the '17 season). MN DNR really put together a nice program. We work at our own pace (1-2 hours a day), keep active, and save a bunch of $. The program I'd open to anyone for application. Glad we tried it and will likely reapply next year.
That's awesome that you took the time to recommend this for us all. I hope this helps some people - and I'll bet it does.

If I may ask, which park do you host?

Bests,
Bob
bfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

Cascade River SP call park if interested in Sept ...ask for Dave Clute. 30 AMP at site. Dump station and water at park entrance. Great location 10 m from Grand Marais.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

50 Amp also at host site at Cascade. Site is pull through, big rig would fit here nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	171509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	171511  

Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #5

We've been park hosting for 11 years at least one season per year. We have volunteered at 4 different states and 1 county park, they have all been positive experiences. All state parks are short of funds and the rangers are always grateful to have volunteers. We are currently working our 3rd season as a contract gate attendant for the Corps of Engineers. When the season ends October 31 we won't do it again. This particular position requires too many hours. We have already arranged for a winter position in CA at a county day use park. We've met people that have become our friends and enjoy interacting with visitors.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think most camp host are required more hours then your 7-14 hours a week.
As you say 1-2 hours per day. Just doesn't sound right from all the other post from different host at State Parks/National etc.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
We've been park hosting for 11 years at least one season per year. We have volunteered at 4 different states and 1 county park, they have all been positive experiences. All state parks are short of funds and the rangers are always grateful to have volunteers. We are currently working our 3rd season as a contract gate attendant for the Corps of Engineers. When the season ends October 31 we won't do it again. This particular position requires too many hours. We have already arranged for a winter position in CA at a county day use park. We've met people that have become our friends and enjoy interacting with visitors.
I do not have the req'd personality to deal with visitors who refuse to follow the rules, but I sure DO appreciate Corps of Engineer Campgrounds and the volunteers there that (it seems to me) do a better job of enforcing the rules than in most other parks (in Oregon anyways).

Thank you all!
Bob
bfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #8

Here's a copy of the "Campground host duties" we were given when we checked in. (Each MN park may have slightly different requirements. ) The rangers and other staff here are above friendly and welcoming. The environment makes us want to do more so we can help them and also get in next year. We're spending 2 hours a day max and that includes my daily "trash patrol". We enjoy being the contact point for campers after staff go home. It's a couple of times a night, usually simple questions about the area or how to check in after hours etc.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Attachment - job description Cascade River State Park MNClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	171901
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

Why such light duties? It's a huge benefit to the rangers to have someone on site "24/7" to keep an eye on things. In that rare case when a problem crops up, the host maybe able to solve it and save staff from interruptions during their time off. They are just so happy to have a host here, truthfully they look at any work we do as a bonus. The paid staff do a deep clean on all restrooms. 1 hour of our time is a nightly light cleaning at 9PM so everyone starts out with a fresh facility in the am. Staff clean out the fire pits so all we have to do is pick up trash, which isn't much. This park only has 41 sites that we are responsible for. (Backpack sites and group camp are taken care of by staff.)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #11

We did our first stint as hosts when called on as replacements at Lake Catherine State Park for two weeks in late June ~ early July. We did four runs a day to check sites for vacancies, etc. There were two sets of hosts, and we each worked every other day. So, in two weeks we worked less than two hours a day for seven days -- not a bad gig at all.

We were in a site that was marked "Camp Host", so people would occasionally drop by and ask questions, and on one occasion I volunteered to go help jump start a car with a dead battery. In two weeks, I doubt we worked 20 hours, though we did stay there and stay available on our on-duty days.

It was very enjoyable, and we'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #12

I have a hypothetical question on this subject.

If you're debt free and you and your spouse work camped 40 hrs a week each, do you think that would support you per month? I understand you would have to be very frugal and exceptions will come up, vet bills, car repairs etc..., but I'm curious if you can make it work if no emergencies come up.

I've spoke to a few people that said they do it and don't have to touch their pension unless there's something big that comes up...
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I have a hypothetical question on this subject.

If you're debt free and you and your spouse work camped 40 hrs a week each, do you think that would support you per month? ......

I've spoke to a few people that said they do it and don't have to touch their pension unless there's something big that comes up...

I have no idea but I would hope you could make it. That's 80 hours a week between the two of you. That sounds more like a job to me. If you like it I guess it would be worth it.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #14

I understand the question when there is no other income coming in. Why would someone not want to touch a pension they have access to? Do you want the benefit to build up before you claim it? For us, camp hosting this month has saved us $1,000(expensive up here) and allows us to go East for 3 months when we finish up next week.

Tags
ems, problems