Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
While you are at Hatteras you MUST take the trip to Ocracoke Island!
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been there, done that.......neat little island,,,,,,,,,,sure can get congested....
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We were there with out grandchildren in June. They were having guided night climbs. We had to make reservations because they only had two groups per night. We're regular visitors to the Outer Banks and have climbed to the top may times. The view at night was very interesting. Every few years we take one of the flying tours out of Frisco. I took two of my grandchildren on their first flights this this year. They loved it and it gives an entirely different perspective of the island, ocean and sound. Enjoy your time there.
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
While you are at Hatteras you MUST take the trip to Ocracoke Island!
Lunch @ Howards!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ten working days left, never thought we would be here 4 months,,,,,,,,

We still feel the same as when I started this thread,,,,after being here for the first 2 weeks.

If anyone looks for a great lighthouse experience,,,,,,,,wow,,,,this has been the place.

Hope that Sumter and Big Bend are as enjoyable and rewarding an experience that Cape Hatteras has been......Great group of young Rangers run the Hatteras program,,,,good solid young folks,,,,,,

This country still has good folks, in good places, doing good things,,,,,,,,,,for the good of all,,,,,,,it is encouraging to see the seasonal rangers, and their young supervisors,,,,,,,which has been as rewarding as the experience itself.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did lunch at Howard's pub........they had a creole soup to kill for........the Corona was pretty good toooooo.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #21

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
There are a lot of good places to dine on the OBX. And, like any business, some fold and new ones come along. Years ago our favorite was a place next to the Rodanthe Pier called the Down Under. It was run by Australians who, would close the restaurant during the off-season and return to Australia until the spring. My wife and I would occasionally take a night walk up the beach from our campsite at Camp Hatteras, enjoy a few drinks at the Down Under's bar and then walk back to the campground. No "DD" required and, we didn't have to worry to about a DUI. Plus, walking along the beach at night can be rather romantic.

My research indicates there is a Home Page for a Down Under Restaurant on Hwy 12 in Waves. While the name is the same, it's not the place we frequented. BTW- this restaurant is for sale if anyone's interested.

We dined at the Down Under at least twice when we visited the OBX. As far as the chain restaurants go- they were practically non-existant when I started going to the OBX (back in the 60's). The only one in the area was a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) at Whalebone Junction.

Another restaurant we usually visited that had been there a long time was Owens' Outer Banks Restaurant in Nags Head. Andy Griffith supposedly dines there on occasion being that he lives just across the sound on Roanoke Island.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #22

Cape Hatteras

Hi Sideroads,

Just accepted a volunteer position at the lighthouse for next year (April - ~July). Where are the RV hook ups located. How far is it from the campsite to the Lighthouse? Any address or GPS location that I might be able to locate on Google earth? Can you give me any advise?

Thanks,
Don & Di Renouf
Drenouf@escapees.com
Don Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Renouf View Post
Hi Sideroads,

Just accepted a volunteer position at the lighthouse for next year (April - ~July). Where are the RV hook ups located. How far is it from the campsite to the Lighthouse? Any address or GPS location that I might be able to locate on Google earth? Can you give me any advise?

Thanks,
Don & Di Renouf
Drenouf@escapees.com
35' 14'59.80N 75'13'32.20, will put you on our site,,,,,

Prior to your arrival they will send you detailed instructions on how to get into the RV Volunteer Parking sites.....It is easy directions.

More info on the sites are in VolunteerConus, below.

If we were not staying West next year, we would consider another season here.....It is a great place, full of HX.

8 miles to Food Lion, had a tire repaired and tires rotated yesterday in Buxton at Cape Point Exxon,,,,,,good job, and very reasonable....The local communities rely on summer trade for their businesses.......

Down here on the OBX, the traffic is not as bad as on the North End....Walmart is about an hour and a half,,,,but Food Lion has had good sales, and they do not gouge just because they could, prices have been comparable to the Mainland.....

The Rangers have been outstanding to work with,,,,,the Supv Park Rangers have excellent people skills and very effective leadership skills.

In my former life, I would have hired any of them in half a heart beat. I can not say enough positive about these folks,,,,,they have made this experience exceptional........

The rv sites are about 1/2 mile from the lighthouse, some ride bikes,,,,,too humid for me after a day in the sun,,,,,,,If you need to lose some weight,,,this is the program,,,,lost almost 30lbs in 4 months.......great weight loss program.

The website is also excellent: http//:www.nps.gov/caha

I think a positive attitude will result in a very positive and rewarding experience.

Good Luck and Enjoy,,,,,,,the view from the Top is magnificent!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ooops...

Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)