Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
The pigs Cliffy was referring to are not Javelinas, they are feral hogs and they are taking over many parts of Texas. They are so invasive and problematic that several counties southeast of us (Austin) were offering a paid bounty for them for a while.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #58

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
They are so invasive and problematic that several counties southeast of us (Austin) were offering a paid bounty for them for a while.
Bounty?

Bacon is my bounty.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:20 PM   #59

SO, drifting away from the animal/hunting drift :-) I would guess that the need to open the gate is so sporadic that it would interrupt a good book enough to get in the way of the story line?
You could take up juggling!
You could learn/practice melodic whistling! (I used to whistle pretty good)
You could learn to yodel (no one would hear you out there) !
Harmonica?
You could get a keyboard and learn to play the piano (again, no one the hear your mistakes :-)

More later :-)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:03 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
The pigs Cliffy was referring to are not Javelinas, they are feral hogs and they are taking over many parts of Texas. They are so invasive and problematic that several counties southeast of us (Austin) were offering a paid bounty for them for a while.

Here is what I hope is the last word on the Javelina to correct the misconceptions that abound here.

The are not feral pigs. But many people mistake them for pigs. I see many Javelinas I have see 0 (zero) pigs feral or otherwise.

Below is From Texas Wildlife Mgt.

Javelina

Javelina are members of the peccary family. There are actually three species of peccaries that range from the Southwestern United States south to central South America. The only species found in the United States is the collared peccary, or javelina. In Texas, the javelina is found in the more arid or semi-arid parts of the state, with most occurring in the South Texas brush country, the Trans-Pecos' desert grasslands, and the Edwards Plateau's oak-juniper woodlands.
Javelina travel in small herds or "family groups" and seem to have a somewhat limited home range. In the winter, they are generally active in the early morning and late afternoon. Javelina are largely nocturnal during the hotter times of the year. They feed primarily on cacti (particularly prickly pear), mesquite beans, lechuguilla, sotol, mast, fruits, and insects.
Javelina have long held an undeserved reputation for ferocity. They have poor eyesight and will often remain around humans longer than other wildlife when startled. When cornered, they can defend themselves very effectively with sharp canine teeth or "tusks". Many dogs have been crippled or killed when trying to attack javelina. Yet aggressive encounters with humans are very, very rare.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
SO, drifting away from the animal/hunting drift :-) I would guess that the need to open the gate is so sporadic that it would interrupt a good book enough to get in the way of the story line?
You could take up juggling!
You could learn/practice melodic whistling! (I used to whistle pretty good)
You could learn to yodel (no one would hear you out there) !
Harmonica?
You could get a keyboard and learn to play the piano (again, no one the hear your mistakes :-)

More later :-)

Juggling sounds cool but I am no longer that coordinated

People who whistle drive me to distraction

Yodeling is best left to the Swiss and old Country stars

If I did take up the Harmonica it would be good that no one could hear me.

I already have a Yamaha 88 key Real Piano keyboard. But it's too long for the interior of my truck...
Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 AM   #62

BTFT You have my curiosity up. Which highway are you off of, and what size of pipeline are you working on ?
ka5gyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #63

One more word about pigs and Texas.

The hill country around Austin reminds me so much of Spain just north of my home. If you were walking in the country around Jabugo you would understand why the Spanish settled in the Texas hill country.

Jabugo is famous for 2 things, Jamon{air cured ham} and Mushrooms. Jamon is a gift from the gods, anyone who was ever stationed at NAS Rota or on one of our AirForce bases in Spain knows of which I speak.

The Iberico pigs are free range. They roam the countryside and eat Acorns from the Oak trees that look exactly like the Southwest Texas Oak trees.

Like making lemonade from lemons, if you are given free range pigs and Acorns why not make Jamon. The Iberian Pigs really are black gold, a top quality leg will sell for well over $1000.

The second product, Mushrooms are a free side dish. Oak trees make lots of cool shade and pigs poop. Mushrooms flourish. Ham and Mushrooms taste very good together.

click on the 2 links for more info.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
Try knitting! Don’t dismiss it if you are male...it is really a mathematical hobby.
And you can make a hat for Alaska.
Joanpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #65

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanpea View Post
Try knitting! Don’t dismiss it if you are male...it is really a mathematical hobby.
And you can make a hat for Alaska.
I don't know if one person could knit a hat big enough to keep the entire state of Alaska warm in the winter.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5gyo View Post
BTFT You have my curiosity up. Which highway are you off of, and what size of pipeline are you working on ?

I am on a gate that is almost 2 miles along the pipeline ROW. You have to pass thru an unmanned gate at the road. My gate is Number 15. (though none of them seem to have visible numbers)

To get there you would go 3 miles SOUTH from the intersection of 624 and 16 on Hwy 16 you will see where the pipeline will cross the road. Heading southbound you would go thru the gate on the right hand side of the road and go about 2 miles.

Today I had my usual Fence crew and two earth movers and their spotters come thru for a total of 4 vehicles. That is 4 more than yesterday...

This is a 48 inch pipe. its the Gulf Coast Express Project.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #67

Cool, That used to be part of the Hubbard Ranch. I used to go out there in my teens and help work cattle. It used to be run by an old man by the name of Tom Mitchell. He would have fit your stereotype. Crusty, drawn-up, old cowboy. Always had a chaw of Days Work tobacco, and drooling from the corner of his mouth. The dirt floor, one room shack he lived in had no door that I remember. The javelinas you speak of used to roam freely in the house as did other types of wildlife. This was in the late 60's early 70's, not really in the dark ages. There were a few of the old ranchers around like that. All gone, and replaced by the new, cocky, rich, land owners. For some interesting reading google "Kenneth Adamie", possibly under Webb county. That happened not far from you,(as the crow flies). For entertainment, bring a sack of corn and string it along the ROW. You'll have lots of javelinas to watch. They're like vacuum cleaners..
ka5gyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:44 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5gyo View Post
Cool, That used to be part of the Hubbard Ranch. I used to go out there in my teens and help work cattle. It used to be run by an old man by the name of Tom Mitchell. He would have fit your stereotype. Crusty, drawn-up, old cowboy. Always had a chaw of Days Work tobacco, and drooling from the corner of his mouth. The dirt floor, one room shack he lived in had no door that I remember. The javelinas you speak of used to roam freely in the house as did other types of wildlife. This was in the late 60's early 70's, not really in the dark ages. There were a few of the old ranchers around like that. All gone, and replaced by the new, cocky, rich, land owners. For some interesting reading google "Kenneth Adamie", possibly under Webb county. That happened not far from you,(as the crow flies). For entertainment, bring a sack of corn and string it along the ROW. You'll have lots of javelinas to watch. They're like vacuum cleaners..

Ha! The corn and Javelina idea sounds like the best entertainment so far...
Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #69

If the little town you visit has a library, it is worth asking if they have a program for checking out e-books. A way to extend the lending library, and shouldn't cost you anything.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #70

is this discussion still going on? last read I got on this was February 23