Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaving home vacant

We're very intersted in using workamping/volunteering for RV site and possible small income to support traveling around the states. We also still own a home which we plan to return to for the winter months with some local travel also. Our place consists of seven and a quarter acres in a very rural part of southwestern Georgia.

Are there many folks out there following this same pattern and if so, what considerations do you have for your home while away?
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It would be pretty cool if you were able to find people wanting to be in your area of Georgia for the summer months. They could stay in their MH on your property. The would probably need hook-up though. Just thinking out loud here.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

No house, but 2 outbuildings.
Security is our major concern because our property is also very rural with poor cell service and satellite internet. My advice is not to store any high value items and firearms at that location, even if you get alerted by an alarm system the crooks will be long gone when the cops get there.
Also, when you're not there in the winter make sure to winterize the plumbing and don't rely on the furnace. The big ticket item is home insurance, you need to notify them on the situation and your premium will probably double or triple as it is considered vacant and hiding the fact could cost you dearly if something would happen and they find out - doesn't matter if a friend, neighbor or relative checks the property regularly. Put interior/exterior lights and if possible the tv on a timer to make it look occupied.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
It depends on how long you are gone as to whether it is considered vacant. Your policy should tell you. Having someone there in your absence would be the best, but may not be feasible. Are there any nearby neighbors who can keep an eye on it for you? Would it be feasible to put in security cameras that you could view remotely?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
The would probably need hook-up though.
Have 20/30/50 electricity and water but no sewer. Problem is who manages locally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
My advice is not to store any high value items and firearms at that location, even if you get alerted by an alarm system the crooks will be long gone when the cops get there.
Also, when you're not there in the winter make sure to winterize the plumbing and don't rely on the furnace. The big ticket item is home insurance, you need to notify them on the situation and your premium will probably double or triple as it is considered vacant and hiding the fact could cost you dearly if something would happen and they find out - doesn't matter if a friend, neighbor or relative checks the property regularly. Put interior/exterior lights and if possible the tv on a timer to make it look occupied.
Sounds like it's best to sell, go full-time RV and take what little profit we make and sink into an RV resort site. That or just do a couple long term and a few short term trips without the workamping. Might be able to find some short term volunteer gigs for a site in an interesting area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It depends on how long you are gone as to whether it is considered vacant. Your policy should tell you. Having someone there in your absence would be the best, but may not be feasible. Are there any nearby neighbors who can keep an eye on it for you? Would it be feasible to put in security cameras that you could view remotely?
We do have a close neighbor who will be cutting the grass and looking in on it but we're not sure how reliable that will be.

Our worst case thought was squatters.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldSarge98 View Post
Have 20/30/50 electricity and water but no sewer. Problem is who manages locally? .....
I guess in my scenario you would have to vett the applicants yourself. Not perfect solution unless you find the perfect seasonal camper
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

One of my children is single. I built a new home with 2 master suites. We are gone 6 - 7 months annually. I have a complete lawn service. No need to worry about the condition of the home or mail. Those few pesky invoices that come once in a while can be taken care of.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well we've tabled our workamping plans for now. For us the expense of dealing with homeowners insurance increases to cover unoccupied property is a non-starter. We'll still be able to use the coach and take long term trips but just within the stipulations of our insurance.

Thanks all for the responses and discussion.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Our worst case thought was squatters.
A good set of security cameras that can be monitored on your cell phone/computer should take care of that. We are upgrading ours this year with all the new updates, it will be worth it. You can even check if the grass is being mowed.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
A good set of security cameras that can be monitored on your cell phone/computer should take care of that. We are upgrading ours this year with all the new updates, it will be worth it. You can even check if the grass is being mowed.
So, what do you do if you see someone has moved into the house?

I know, calling law enforcement seems to be the appropriate answer. But, what if the "new occupants" tell the police that they are the correct occupants? What if they claim the house was unoccupied, so they are using the law to claim the house as their own?

This may sound like a hypothetical question, and it is for now, but we do have a concern about leaving a house unoccupied for weeks, months, etc. at a time. Is this a state by state issue?

Every now and then we run across a news article where someone has "moved in" then changed the locks, etc. It seems to be a real struggle to get them back out. There are some bad actors out there.

Will monitoring the house (remotely by camera, or by a friend or neighbor) then calling law enforcement ASAP be enough?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Are you near any attractions? Maybe you could list it on Home Away and rent it out for people looking to get away? I don't know anything about how that works, we have used it for dog-friendly places to stay when traveling. Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An update for us in case anyone is interested. Last Friday morning I called our current homowners insurance agent and she didn't call back, called this morning, she's out of the office until tomorrow. Decided to call GEICO who we have covering our vehicle insurance. They connected me to Assurant since we have a "mobile home." I discussed our occupancy situation and this agent said as long as we were going to return, had someone looking into it periodically, and had the utilities still connected it wasn't a concern. To top that off if we switch their premium for the same coverage is less than 60% of our current premium and we get a 5% reduction in our auto coverage.

Looks like we'll be switching our homeowners insurance.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
An update for us in case anyone is interested. Last Friday morning I called our current homowners insurance agent and she didn't call back, called this morning, she's out of the office until tomorrow. Decided to call GEICO who we have covering our vehicle insurance. They connected me to Assurant since we have a "mobile home." I discussed our occupancy situation and this agent said as long as we were going to return, had someone looking into it periodically, and had the utilities still connected it wasn't a concern. To top that off if we switch their premium for the same coverage is less than 60% of our current premium and we get a 5% reduction in our auto coverage.

Looks like we'll be switching our homeowners insurance.

I'd get that in writing ......
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #14

I lived in San Diego before I went full time. For the first two years I returned to my home for the winter months. The first year it was vacant while I was away. I got a landscaper for the lawn, a PO Box for mail and left the utilities on so the sprinklers could water the lawn and lights went on at night on timers. I lived in a residential neighborhood and my neighbors kept an eye on my property for me. The second year I rented out the spare room to a friend who was going thru a divorce and he house sat for me. The third year I got a property manager and just rented out the house.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote