Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

No black water

Hello. I am a new member, and after many years of tent camping at 57 I just bought my first rv, a 13 ft Scamp Deluxe. After a 40 year career in the building trades, my retirement rapidly approaches. I’m very interested in spending my summers at various locations for several years after retirement as a volunteer trail and grounds maintenance worker or possibly campground host. I think it would be something that I would enjoy and that I would be good at. My question, that I hope someone on this forum can provide some insight on regards the phrase “self contained”. I have no shower or black water tanks in my rv. I don’t want any. I like my shower tent, and pit toilets are fine by me. I also prefer the smaller, less developed sites, that usually have no showers, only potable water. As a potential volunteer, how likely is it that I will be very limited in choices of sites, without a fully self contained rv? Thanks for any input anyone can give me.
RAbraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #2

:Wavey: I
I won’t be going full time for a couple years. I have looked into volunteering in wildlife preserves. While some will provide some sites with hookups I don’t believe it’s mandatory. I know they will provide ATV’s to get you to the areas where you need to feed (that sounds awesome to me) will they have a problem with you not having you stuff “contained” dunno. Might be fine with rangers a don’t ask don’t tell kinda thing. There allot of port a potty’s That are simple to use if you are required to dump rather than shovel Just gotta ask if you see a certain job that sounds good. I could sit and watch the Animals come feed after I’d fill the feeders. Beautiful just to sit and watch.
Good Luck best wishes ~I’m
Old 11-24-2019, 05:06 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.volunteer.gov/ :thu

One of our first assignments post Katrina cleanup was with a couple in a 19 ft roadtrek. He was a gourmet cook and carried a lot of pots and pans. Used the bunkhouse for amenities.

The FWS, as well as all the other agencies listed above, have plenty of volunteer opportunities that provide support facilities such as kitchens, water, sewer, electric, etc. We have been in places where we were so remote that the service provided a truck, water buffalo, and sewer tank.

You will do OK.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

Have to been to a few places were there camp host had only a tent. There are plenty of dry parks in Alaska that are always begging for camp hosts. I don't know what the rules are but they were definitely there camp host in tents and a few vans.

Go for it.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Maybe you are tougher than I am - probably are. That said, it is really nice on a cold morning to jump into a hot shower after taking a potty visit and not having to run to and from a toilet and shower house. Worse yet, set up a shower tent.
I am getting old and like the softer part of life. You may come to understand after a few months doing this.
Whatever you do, enjoy life. It is one of the few things we don't get a second shot at.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water