Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Solo workamping

I will not be retiring for a few more years, but would like to know if it is possible to work amp as a solo? My plan is to tour the US and enjoy the sites and not worry about a time frame to move on.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definite yes. Not as plentiful, but they're there. Most places think in terms of couples because that's mostly what's out there, but singles are out there-- particularly if you have some high value skills that your facility may need.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

I am starting my first solo workamping gig in November. I joined Workamper.com and found the job there. There are plenty of solo postings on that website. Also, if you find a place that you like and would like to extend your stay or return as a worker, just go to the main office/visitor center and ask to speak to the volunteer coordinator or the manager and find out if they have facilities for RV workers/volunteers and let them know that you are interested. That is how many of my RV friends have found work. It's great when you already know that you like the place!
kaarsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #4

I voluntered for 5 1/2 months last summer at a state park campground in Maine by myself. They asked for ~20 hours a week, cleaning restrooms, campsites etc. It was 5 days a week with two days off. Not the best schedule or work duties but it was our favorite campground in New England and it was worth it to me.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #5

I would say yes it can be done but the options will be more limited than a couple will have. More than a few places have been ready to have me and the wife come but if we tell them it will be just one of us doing the gig while the other gets some part time work outside of the campground we get a lot of thanks for applying and we will keep your information on file. if they hire singles then they need to give up two sites where a couple only need one site. Site=income to the owner/state/or feds running the campground.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Not a problem in most places. For instance Oregon state parks ask for 20 hours per week per person for a couple, 30 hours a week for a single. You will figure out quickly which groups encourage or discourage singles.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #7

solo work kamping

Hi
I just recently lost my job so I packed up RV & headed to Florida. I got lucky that the park I am in needed someone ( all in the timing). So I perform general maintenance, cleaning etc in exchange for site & electricity.
It can be done so do some research & give it a shot.
mike2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mike,

Congrats on finding something that works for you.

Out of curiosity, how many hours per week are required, and what would be the monthly cost of the site and the electric? I know, electric depends on usage. I am attempting to estimate a future budget and am looking for some approximate numbers. Thanks!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 AM   #9

The job is 5 days a week. There is a manager & his wife who run the camp of approx 100 sites. I am working about 36 hours a week. Because the place does not have a lot of help the 3 of us do almost everything. I do not have any office responsibilities.
In season in Florida the site rates vary from $635 per month ( water electric, sewer,& wifi NO cable) up to $1,200 depending on arrival & length of stay.
I believe electric run approx $50.
mike2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #10
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, Mike.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo, workamping