Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Struggling to "Live the Dream"

If I had known that this is where my life would take me, I would have pursued a degree in software development or some form of IT in which I could work remotely. Sadly, I am an over-educated under-valued teacher. I want to pull my kids out of school and travel the country...homeschooling...working at the camps but I can't seem to take the leap. I love the idea of volunteering my time for a free site but with no child support or additional income, I cannot begin this journey without paid positions. I apply for paid positions but I am not hearing back as many are seasonal and unpredictable which is a whole other set of worries.

Is there a market for tutoring or teachers on the road? I know I could always substitute but at times, doing so is much like jumping through hoops while juggling. I am only 37 and need to continue to bring in an income but all these younger full-timers seem to have specialized talents. Is it a dream or feasible with the right plan in place?
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Utah has K-12 online. I assume the teachers are working from some location that is not a big centralized building at $500/sqft, could be home, could be Mars. Maybe google "Utah K-12".
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Utah has K-12 online. I assume the teachers are working from some location that is not a big centralized building at $500/sqft, could be home, could be Mars. Maybe google "Utah K-12".
Thank you. I'll do that. I know here in Florida we have k-12 teachers teaching while sipping coffee at Starbucks. It is massively hard to get those positions but I had not considered other states.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #4

In person... tutoring entertainer's children on location for actors, on tour for musicians and other entertainers. Not sure how to break in (gotta know someone who knows you, I guess) but there is a demand for teachers when celebrities take their families out with them.

Country singer Martina McBride had a road tutor and a nanny for her 3 daughters, and other performers I've worked with have had similar arrangements. Touring Broadway shows with child performers also need tutors (Actors Equity, the union for theatre actors, has more info).

Reading between your lines I'm guessing there are some other circumstances in your life that led you to a mobile existence. Good luck and best wishes.

Again, a slim market to get into and not "steady" in some respects but once you're in and show you're good, you can probably stay as busy as you want.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrum81 View Post
Thank you. I'll do that. I know here in Florida we have k-12 teachers teaching while sipping coffee at Starbucks. It is massively hard to get those positions but I had not considered other states.
almost all states have online k-12 programs now, something to look into!
Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Abrum 81,

Depending on your degrees there are numerous opportunities for teaching college courses online. I have a friend who teaches online an English 101 and 102 courses for 3 different colleges and stays busy 365.

Another option, online tutoring, maybe using skype. Its a marketing thing, but if I was in your shoes I would start setting up a network within your school district and state getting your name known, your tutoring desires, date anticipating beginning and charges.

In IL the most needed elementary tutoring has been reported to be in English and Mathematics. This seems to be nationwide.

Do you plan on using pre-written tutorial materials or will you be developing your own as student specific. I prefer the 2nd and it should increase your ability to serve more students thereby increasing your income, especially if you set up your tutoring to internet.

Just a few ideas - wish you all the best. Richard
Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have spoken with a number of doctors and nurses who travel and work on contract in rural community hospitals, usually for a year or so. They tell me demand is great, and there is some sort of organization that acts as a search clearing house. I would suspect that similar demand would exist in other fields that require educated professionals. Inquire of your peers, or google terms like “rural teacher contracts”.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #8

You have a good start by posting the need here - the job you are looking for. How many kids and their ages?

Besides teaching what other things do you feel you could offer an employer? I like the idea of being a tutor for entertainers that travel. Contact the teachers union to see if they have any ideas.

Some sites to look for opening or where you can post 'work wanted' are:

workamper.com (this will cost you but the have some free intro stuff to give you and idea)

https://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-park-help-wanted

www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com

That is three to start with. Hopefully others will come along with other ideas. There is also office work in RV parks. We have them here that work year round getting their site and compensation.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #9

Keep in mind that any remote work via computer could require a reliable, high speed internet connection. If you’d be doing something like teaching via Skype, add even more bandwidth to the requirement.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #10

These are all awesome suggestions. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When you work for yourself, your tax liabilities about double. Consult a tax pro to keep your dream from turning into a nightmare.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I have spoken with a number of doctors and nurses who travel and work on contract in rural community hospitals, usually for a year or so. They tell me demand is great, and there is some sort of organization that acts as a search clearing house. I would suspect that similar demand would exist in other fields that require educated professionals. Inquire of your peers, or google terms like “rural teacher contracts”.

I did travel nursing for 2 years, and loved it.
I didn’t rv; but, I worked with one couple who did. The husband was a fireman, then went back to school to get RN degree. They sold their house in southern CA., bought a toy hauler with 2 Harleys, and a small ranch in Montana.

There are lots of travel nurse companies. I went with American Mobile.
In lieu of them paying for an apartment, they will give a housing allowance to rent a spot at an rv park.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #13

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to try workcamping. I think working the national parks as we travel would be an awesome learning opportunity.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #14

You can work in the campground,pick sugar Beets,sell xmas trees or even work for Amazon. I know work campers that do all of it and they aren't complaining they love it.Some are even gate guards out west.I guess there is no limit to what you can do on the road.just have to make up your mind and do it.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote