Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Taxable aspects of volunteering

We are volunteering at a National Wildlife Refuge for 4 months. In return for both of us working 32 hours per week we receive a free campsite with electric, water and propane supplied at no cost to us, and the use of a communal building with kitchen and laundry facilities. We do not receive a stipend or any other cash compensation. My question is, would this be classed as taxable income by the IRS? I'd like to hear from anyone with actual experience or professional knowledge (CPA etc) and not just "well I think..." opinions.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Have you asked them if they'll be giving you a 1099 (or is it 1098)? If they do, then you have to declare it. If not, I leave to the tax experts.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

I am a CPA and have been preparing income tax returns for over 30 years. In general, compensation in any form that is contingent on hours worked is taxable compensation. But I doubt that they will be issuing you a 1099 and so you will have to determine the value of what they provided to you
and any expenses you may be able to deduct against it on your own.
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburke View Post
I am a CPA and have been preparing income tax returns for over 30 years. In general, compensation in any form that is contingent on hours worked is taxable compensation. But I doubt that they will be issuing you a 1099 and so you will have to determine the value of what they provided to you
and any expenses you may be able to deduct against it on your own.
Thank you! That makes sense. Apparently in past years there was a small stipend paid, which did result in a 1099, but with budget cuts there is no longer any cash compensation, so no more 1099's.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Check IRS.GOV website for "Barter Income"

Bartering
Bartering is an exchange of property or services. You must include in your income, at the time received, the fair market value of property or services you receive in bartering. For additional information, Refer to Tax Topic 420 - Bartering Income and Barter Exchanges.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
"Volunteering" by definition means that there's no compensation other than perhaps the feel-good kind.

Working in exchange for a place to live is not "volunteering", and compensation received in the form of space rent/utilities or even groceries is income, and taxable as such at its market value.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
"Volunteering" by definition means that there's no compensation other than perhaps the feel-good kind.

Working in exchange for a place to live is not "volunteering", and compensation received in the form of space rent/utilities or even groceries is income, and taxable as such at its market value.
If your 'employer' requires that you live on the property in order to accomplish your volunteer duties then the value of the site is not taxable and need not be reported.
DISCLOSURE: I am not a tax expert so your mileage may very but I have done a fair amount of research into this.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Like "Firedoc said"

I worked several years for a company at a remote location where we were required to live in company housing if we wanted the job.

Our cheap housing was not counted as "Taxable Income" because we were living in their houses for the companies benefit.

Also while managing a Marina, we lived aboard our boat. Because the company wanted us on-site 24/7, they furnished a free slip. Again not taxable because the free slip was to the companies benefit.

All this was ten years ago. Who know now that the Government is so hungry.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
What firedoc said. We have never been given a 1099. The requirement of being on site, in your RV pretty much negates the possibility. The folks we volunteered for have numerous volunteers yearly.
They do provide a 1099 for their paid seasonal help that live in dorms or their own RVs. The park charges 15 dollars for work camper sites and these are deductible as a working expense.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
If your 'employer' requires that you live on the property in order to accomplish your volunteer duties then the value of the site is not taxable and need not be reported.
DISCLOSURE: I am not a tax expert so your mileage may very but I have done a fair amount of research into this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Like "Firedoc said"

I worked several years for a company at a remote location where we were required to live in company housing if we wanted the job.

Our cheap housing was not counted as "Taxable Income" because we were living in their houses for the companies benefit.

Also while managing a Marina, we lived aboard our boat. Because the company wanted us on-site 24/7, they furnished a free slip. Again not taxable because the free slip was to the companies benefit.

All this was ten years ago. Who know now that the Government is so hungry.
This past summer was our first experience as volunteers. We spent 3 months in the Oregon State Parks as volunteers and our understanding is the same as firedoc's and ruffian's. If you are required to live on site then your campsite is not considered to be compensation. I am not expecting a 1099 from OPRD and doubt that I'll get one. In most cases the value of the volunteer work far outweighs the value of the campsite and it would be foolish on the part of the agencies needing the volunteers to start issuing 1099s. Their volunteer roles would shrink overnight.

I believe this is the case the State of CA is dealing with now. I believe I read a thread recently that highlighted the fact that CA was issuing 1099s to it's volunteers for the market value of their campsites. I believe it's being debated in CA authorities as this is being written.

Here is the older thread that I referred to earlier:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f89/campg...ost-63808.html
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Have you asked them if they'll be giving you a 1099 (or is it 1098)? If they do, then you have to declare it. If not, I leave to the tax experts.
We did the exact same thing as the OP. We never got a 1099 or any other form from the Refuge and we didn't claim anything on our federal tax returns.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

It is about like have an electric car and not haveing to pay gas tax.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Totally agree and deduct the fuel to get from one vol job to another or from home to vol location.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #14

Don't whack the hornets nest. We get paid and a free place to live the government taxed me enough for the last 40 years and they have nothing to show for it. My monthly pay goes into an account and thats that.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote