RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: where ever the rv is parked today.
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
It's a lot easier if one person does it and lets everyone else know instead of everybody having to find it themselves. Which is our point.

And, to save people even more time:

• Assist park staff with cleaning the bathhouse toilets, sinks, and showers.

And now we know why there was no details on the position in the original post. If this is correct it is a bathroom cleaning job. Put it in the add, be upfront. Not saying it up front leads most to assume the duties are undesirable to most and the poster knows that and gives very few details for a reason. That is not left off because OP wanted to keep it brief. We know about yvonne and that poster has over 25 years’ experience with the county but nothing about this gig other than location. Florida in winter is nice and many people would like the gig even with the duty being bathroom patrol. Just say it up front so folks do not waste thier time and so they dont wast the parks time trying to inquire when it could be settled on the firt post.

Lack of information about the site and amenities at the site also triggers the thought of "what are they not telling me about the site?"

For other looking for volunteer of workkamping positions the lack of detail in an add looking for volunteers is often on purpose. If there are good thing like free laundry or wifi or what not they will often be bragged about in the add.


Bright side. at least op did not ask for a photo of the couple and the rig. Progress!
__________________

jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Kxbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
And now we know why there was no details on the position in the original post. If this is correct it is a bathroom cleaning job. Put it in the add, be upfront. Not saying it up front leads most to assume the duties are undesirable to most and the poster knows that and gives very few details for a reason. That is not left off because OP wanted to keep it brief. We know about yvonne and that poster has over 25 years’ experience with the county but nothing about this gig other than location. Florida in winter is nice and many people would like the gig even with the duty being bathroom patrol. Just say it up front so folks do not waste thier time and so they dont wast the parks time trying to inquire when it could be settled on the firt post.

Lack of information about the site and amenities at the site also triggers the thought of "what are they not telling me about the site?"

For other looking for volunteer of workkamping positions the lack of detail in an add looking for volunteers is often on purpose. If there are good thing like free laundry or wifi or what not they will often be bragged about in the add.


Bright side. at least op did not ask for a photo of the couple and the rig. Progress!
Ditto!!!
__________________

__________________
2005 Allegro Bay 34XB, W22 Chassis / 8.1L
2013 Honda Fit toad, Demco Dominator & base plate
RVi2 Brake System
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Member
 
jsetti's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 70
Volunteer.gov
__________________
Jean Corsetti with DH Steve
Annie & Max (Yorkies)
2010 Monaco Diplomat "Tranquility on the Move IV"
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeflyer View Post
You folks sure do have lots of questions for a free site in a great location for the winter. Might I suggest you contact the park coordinator with your concerns.
I find your answer somewhat rude. Surely you could have answered the person that asked those important questions.
I don’t do workcamps, but for those who does workcamp, those are legit questions. Free campsite is not enough. Those workcamp people work hard for nothing. The least you could do for them is give them the best campsite, full hookup, free internet, and some pay. Nobody likes cleaning public restrooms. Treat these people nice instead of acting like you are doing them a favor. They are doing you a favor by helping you out.
Explorer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FULL TIMERS
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeflyer View Post
You folks sure do have lots of questions for a free site in a great location for the winter. Might I suggest you contact the park coordinator with your concerns.

I think he is right here. As a camp host volunteer, I have my own specific priorities for a camp site/location that I might be going to spend months at. If you talk to the park coordinator, then you can ask questions that concern you and even determine if personalities are going to be a issue. It's really no different than a job interview.
A couple of times we were convinced to overlook the lack of FHU's because the job description was so intriguing, and were glad we did so.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #20
Member
 
yankeeflyer's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Belgrade,Maine
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I think he is right here. As a camp host volunteer, I have my own specific priorities for a camp site/location that I might be going to spend months at. If you talk to the park coordinator, then you can ask questions that concern you and even determine if personalities are going to be a issue. It's really no different than a job interview.
A couple of times we were convinced to overlook the lack of FHU's because the job description was so intriguing, and were glad we did so.
Thank you ! Hopefully someone is enjoying this position now.
yankeeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: where ever the rv is parked today.
Posts: 554
[QUOTE=grindstone01;4465893. It's really no different than a job interview.
A couple of times we were convinced to overlook the lack of FHU's because the job description was so intriguing, and were glad we did so.[/QUOTE]

You are correct in that it is not much different than a job interview or that posting an opening is a lot like posting a job opening. Job opening postings should include some some basic information like duties and responbilties and any give some indication of the compensation. In the world of labor for a site things like full hook ups, wifi, and other things about the site could be considered part of the compensation so to save both parties some frustration and time a basic listing of those things should be included in an add.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,211
....and no pets allowed!
__________________
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #23
Member
 
jsetti's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
....and no pets allowed!
Agreed ... we accepted a position at a State Park in Maine ... then we found out it was the ONLY Maine State Park where dogs were not allowed.
__________________
Jean Corsetti with DH Steve
Annie & Max (Yorkies)
2010 Monaco Diplomat "Tranquility on the Move IV"
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FULL TIMERS
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
Agreed ... we accepted a position at a State Park in Maine ... then we found out it was the ONLY Maine State Park where dogs were not allowed.

As with any job interview, you need to ask questions. We have been accepted at "no pet's allowed" when we explain we have a inside cat (our cat is still a pet although she thinks she is one of us). A good resume will detail your camper equipment, facilities required, and your goals as a volunteer including the type of work you are interested in performing.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
affreeman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wherever I go, there I am
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
Agreed ... we accepted a position at a State Park in Maine ... then we found out it was the ONLY Maine State Park where dogs were not allowed.
Was that Baxter?
__________________
Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman, Full-time Nomad
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F AKA The AdventureMobile
Dragging around a 2013 Ford Edge with a Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar and an RViBrake3
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Was that Baxter?
I have volunteered for several summers as a campground host in Maine at Sebago Lake State Park and no pets are allowed there. As far as I know that is the only state park campground that does not allow pets.
__________________

__________________
2018 Keystone Cougar 22RBS
Steveo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Immediate Volunteer position, NW Minnesota. TXiceman Workkamping & Volunteering 0 07-21-2015 06:07 PM
Second volunteer position--Steamboat Lake Colorado halfwright Workkamping & Volunteering 8 06-07-2013 11:27 AM
First Volunteer position ezspdr Workkamping & Volunteering 52 04-16-2013 12:13 PM
Looking for Volunteer Work Camping position jlhall Workkamping & Volunteering 3 03-01-2011 09:18 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.