Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
It's a lot easier if one person does it and lets everyone else know instead of everybody having to find it themselves. Which is our point.

And, to save people even more time:

• Assist park staff with cleaning the bathhouse toilets, sinks, and showers.

And now we know why there was no details on the position in the original post. If this is correct it is a bathroom cleaning job. Put it in the add, be upfront. Not saying it up front leads most to assume the duties are undesirable to most and the poster knows that and gives very few details for a reason. That is not left off because OP wanted to keep it brief. We know about yvonne and that poster has over 25 years’ experience with the county but nothing about this gig other than location. Florida in winter is nice and many people would like the gig even with the duty being bathroom patrol. Just say it up front so folks do not waste thier time and so they dont wast the parks time trying to inquire when it could be settled on the firt post.

Lack of information about the site and amenities at the site also triggers the thought of "what are they not telling me about the site?"

For other looking for volunteer of workkamping positions the lack of detail in an add looking for volunteers is often on purpose. If there are good thing like free laundry or wifi or what not they will often be bragged about in the add.

Bright side. at least op did not ask for a photo of the couple and the rig. Progress!
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
And now we know why there was no details on the position in the original post. If this is correct it is a bathroom cleaning job. Put it in the add, be upfront. Not saying it up front leads most to assume the duties are undesirable to most and the poster knows that and gives very few details for a reason. That is not left off because OP wanted to keep it brief. We know about yvonne and that poster has over 25 years’ experience with the county but nothing about this gig other than location. Florida in winter is nice and many people would like the gig even with the duty being bathroom patrol. Just say it up front so folks do not waste thier time and so they dont wast the parks time trying to inquire when it could be settled on the firt post.

Lack of information about the site and amenities at the site also triggers the thought of "what are they not telling me about the site?"

For other looking for volunteer of workkamping positions the lack of detail in an add looking for volunteers is often on purpose. If there are good thing like free laundry or wifi or what not they will often be bragged about in the add.

Bright side. at least op did not ask for a photo of the couple and the rig. Progress!
Ditto!!!
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Volunteer.gov
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeflyer View Post
You folks sure do have lots of questions for a free site in a great location for the winter. Might I suggest you contact the park coordinator with your concerns.
I find your answer somewhat rude. Surely you could have answered the person that asked those important questions.
I don’t do workcamps, but for those who does workcamp, those are legit questions. Free campsite is not enough. Those workcamp people work hard for nothing. The least you could do for them is give them the best campsite, full hookup, free internet, and some pay. Nobody likes cleaning public restrooms. Treat these people nice instead of acting like you are doing them a favor. They are doing you a favor by helping you out.
Explorer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeflyer View Post
You folks sure do have lots of questions for a free site in a great location for the winter. Might I suggest you contact the park coordinator with your concerns.

I think he is right here. As a camp host volunteer, I have my own specific priorities for a camp site/location that I might be going to spend months at. If you talk to the park coordinator, then you can ask questions that concern you and even determine if personalities are going to be a issue. It's really no different than a job interview.
A couple of times we were convinced to overlook the lack of FHU's because the job description was so intriguing, and were glad we did so.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I think he is right here. As a camp host volunteer, I have my own specific priorities for a camp site/location that I might be going to spend months at. If you talk to the park coordinator, then you can ask questions that concern you and even determine if personalities are going to be a issue. It's really no different than a job interview.
A couple of times we were convinced to overlook the lack of FHU's because the job description was so intriguing, and were glad we did so.
Thank you ! Hopefully someone is enjoying this position now.
yankeeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #21

[QUOTE=grindstone01;4465893. It's really no different than a job interview.
A couple of times we were convinced to overlook the lack of FHU's because the job description was so intriguing, and were glad we did so.[/QUOTE]

You are correct in that it is not much different than a job interview or that posting an opening is a lot like posting a job opening. Job opening postings should include some some basic information like duties and responbilties and any give some indication of the compensation. In the world of labor for a site things like full hook ups, wifi, and other things about the site could be considered part of the compensation so to save both parties some frustration and time a basic listing of those things should be included in an add.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #22

....and no pets allowed!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:46 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
....and no pets allowed!
Agreed ... we accepted a position at a State Park in Maine ... then we found out it was the ONLY Maine State Park where dogs were not allowed.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
Agreed ... we accepted a position at a State Park in Maine ... then we found out it was the ONLY Maine State Park where dogs were not allowed.

As with any job interview, you need to ask questions. We have been accepted at "no pet's allowed" when we explain we have a inside cat (our cat is still a pet although she thinks she is one of us). A good resume will detail your camper equipment, facilities required, and your goals as a volunteer including the type of work you are interested in performing.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetti View Post
Was that Baxter?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Was that Baxter?
I have volunteered for several summers as a campground host in Maine at Sebago Lake State Park and no pets are allowed there. As far as I know that is the only state park campground that does not allow pets.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:01 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
I have volunteered for several summers as a campground host in Maine at Sebago Lake State Park and no pets are allowed there. As far as I know that is the only state park campground that does not allow pets.
That's the one. There was no mention of the no pets rule during our discussions. I didn't think to ask as we had stayed in many Maine State Parks before. I guess they thought we knew. Not their fault ... I should have asked. Once we found out, they helped find us another Park to volunteer at. It's now one of things on our list to confirm before we accept a position.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:35 AM   #28

No pets is a deal killer.
Buffaloe is offline   Reply With Quote