Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #29

"Actually the guy fired her because his wife made him. The guy should have his man card revoked."

x2

Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #30

EVERYONE! I still need campers for the holidays - we are close to getting all the jobs filled but not quite there yet. Please spread the word! Here is the pertinent info again:

Coffeyville, Kansas
Phone: 620-464-2665
Wages: $10.50 (days) or $11.00 (nights & weekends)
Completion Bonus: $1.00 for each hour worked
Complimentary campground + electricity
Campbellsville, Kentucky
Phone: 270-849-2604
Wages: $10.00 (days) or $10.60 (nights & weekends)
Completion Bonus: $1.00 for each hour worked
Complimentary campground + electric
Fernley, NV
Phone: 775-575-8006
Wages: $11.50 (days) or $12.25 (nights & weekends)
Completion Bonus: $0.50 for each hour worked
Complimentary campground
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to aussierobert
My wife and I put together a website that covers Work Camper Reviews so that we can all assist each other in finding a match. Have a look at Work Kamper Reviews
this is a big win for everybody so we can all assist all Work Kampers.
aussierobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierobert View Post
My wife and I put together a website that covers Work Camper Reviews so that we can all assist each other in finding a match. Have a look at Work Kamper Reviews
this is a big win for everybody so we can all assist all Work Kampers.
Thank you so much! Awesome site and so user friendly! I've added it to my Android rv folder. Can't wait to be full-timeing in 2 years working kamping around the country.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles bam View Post
I recall one CG that streesed out about the bathrooms. Lol. Here it goes.

Mind you I used to own a commercial cleaning franshise for 2 years prior to my recent business I sold.

Me: What kind of cleaning chemicals are you using for the smell, disenfecting, etc

CG- Wal-Mart

Me: " to myself". Wrong/ineffective chemicals for a public setting.

Me: out loud- I can change that with the proper cleaning supplies/techniques.

CG- Me and my husband have been cleaning it that way for years, it works fine, but campers keep complaining about smell.

I wanted to say: yes , I know. Wrong chemicals, and your campers will continue to complain.

At this point I knew this was going nowhere. So I changed the question.

I wasnt a good fit , ya right.
I am not arguing your expertise, just your timing. Telling the boss "you can change that." BEFORE getting hired is never a good idea.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #34

Good for you Sir!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #35

Thank you all

I havent checked in for awhile, but I was getting the post updates.

I learned alot from all the replies ( + or - )

Another twist- a coulpe came into the CG around The first week of September . Est age 50, Toy Hauler with nice Harley in the back. They stay. 1 week.

They told me about how hard it was for them. They were also turned away the owner saw his tats and Harley. There story not mine.

He was an IBEW Member for 25 years. She sold her cleaning business.

They were kind of happy when I told him my story.

End result: We Went into town, he was dressed up, stood in front of a 2012 3 Wheel spyder and resent 4 apps.

Right before he left he did get a call. He was packing up n will call me in 2 hrs about the call.

Final result: he said after about 20 mins of the CG manager BS, he said Go ______

He will never do that work camp thing again.

Happy trails Ken n liz , be safe , come back n visit . Rum n Coke on me
Pebbles bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
After having been in management for more than just a few years, I am a firm believer that first impressions are not always the best/correct ones. The tats, styles, piercings, etc., that some of the "younger generation(s)" display, while they may cause us older pharts a bit of discomfort, are really no different than us wearing our hair below our shoulders during a time that crew cuts were the main style.... I've also found over the years that if you check your preconceived notions and interact with the person, you usually find a whole lot of good qualities (not always, but for the most part...)

Good luck with your endeavours and don't let 'em wear you down!

Kyle
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #37

We spent 2 1/2 years at our last position and will be winding up a 6 month run where we are and will be going back to our first one soon. We've only been turned down once - because I didn't know their reservation software.

We both have really strong skill sets - and love to learn and do different things all the time. (I now know "that" software package) In the 2 1/2 years at the last place I saw a lot of work campers come through and saw the pluses and minuses.

1: Don't come in thinking you're going to run the show
2: When you commit to a time frame you made a commitment - unless there is a serious emergency stick to it.
3: Don't sign up for something you can't do - if you can't handle heat & sun don't take a position where you'll need to be active - outside in the sun and heat!
4: Don't bad mouth other work campers to other work campers or to customers and don't "stir the pot". Being a confrontational jerk will not get you anything but sent down the road.
5: Don't think that you're too good to do the job you accepted, or that you're too good to work with other employees.
6: Be willing to do what needs to be done. I've been bent over in serious pain and still done my job . . . sometimes a grimace and a smile are close.
7: Don't be all about how much time you'll need off. Keep in mind that other people will have to cover your time - and maybe they'd like some time too. I'd like to work certain days and hours - but that doesn't always work - why do I always get closing shifts?
8: Be a good citizen. Be friendly to other staff, customers, other work campers. We are still friends with a lot of work campers that we haven't seen in ages - but we built relationships.

If you think about it . . . there are lots of people out there looking for a way to live and pay the bills. Alienating people won't get you points or good references. Not to bragg - but no one ever wants us to leave. We go the extra mile, put in the extra time and effort, and are always willing to help where needed. We also try to get other work campers involved in social activities -getting together for cookouts, dinners out, or just cocktails. I'm always working to improve our resumes - our rig won't always be as new as they'd like, but if our references and resumes are top notch I'm not going to worry.
Fanciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is a hard lesson for some to learn Fanciesmom. It took me a long time but since I figured it out my work life, the last 10 years has been very good. I retire in two months and go fulltime in June. I will volunteer to reduce costs not to earn income. I have a COE volunteer position lined up for part of the summer and am looking for on in the winter so I can travel in Spring & Fall.