RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

Work Camper I gave up

I'm a fulltime RV'er for the last 6 months. I sold my very successful business and decided to travel and maybe work camp ( keep me busy). Im only 45 yrs old, good health, etc.

I joined work camper sites , paid money ( lost $), etc

I applied to about 15 -20 campgrounds. Only 1 called. After talking to them, they said your hired. But,they called back the next day. I had to send a pic of my rig n me.

Well, it changed. The owner who lives in another state, said we were not a good fit, there in the bible belt . Lol. Ok. Whatever that means.

I wish the managers who put out the ad explains the position as well as who they are looking for,

Example:

Must be over the age of _____ ( might be illegal to post that)
Non smoker ( huh ?)
No tattoos,scars
Enjoy the bible
$150,000 + Motor Home
No outside activities, fun , etc allowed.

So I decided to have some fun. I put on a 3 pc suit, found a nice expensive motor home for sale in the area, took a picture of me standing next to it,, changed my resume to - a pastor on wheels.

Wow. 3 campground/resorts called me real fast. Hmmmmmm

I wont get into the 3 phone calls . There were interesting to say the least.

At the end of the calls- I said , after seeing your CG/Resort, they were a good fit for me. Lol lol lol.

Most people reading this post might not agree with what I did, but , I had fun with it.

Pebbles bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In my opinion you did not hurt anyone, just had some fun. (If that's the whole story.)

I like fun.

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Great story. Put a smile on my face.

The easy way to find a job is to go pound on doors and ask. Most folks give up when a job doesn't fall in their lap.
With that said, we hired campground managers off work campers & similar setups and did very well, but we had to pick & choose. We found there are a lot of not-qualified-for-much folks floating resume's, but IMHO that isn't any different than real life. Good help is hard to find.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we visit the places we want to see and if we like it we inquire about 'working'....
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #5

I think we all have had that happen - offer made, papers signed them told they are withdrawing the offer.

I just had that happen at a park in Tombstone. She contacted me so it was her going after me. Even when I questioned the number of hours vs what a monthly site goes for - 24 hours at minimum wage for a 225 a month site. I told her that I don't mind working extra hours when I like my work. She said when you add propane, electric, wi-fi, cable it equals out but would cut it down to 20 since I am a single workamper. Two hours later she sent an email saying we were not a good fit and the offer was withdrawn. Oh well - her loss.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LOL... Sometimes, people have to hand back the treatment they get just to release some stress....
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #7

I recall one CG that streesed out about the bathrooms. Lol. Here it goes.

Mind you I used to own a commercial cleaning franshise for 2 years prior to my recent business I sold.

Me: What kind of cleaning chemicals are you using for the smell, disenfecting, etc

CG- Wal-Mart

Me: " to myself". Wrong/ineffective chemicals for a public setting.

Me: out loud- I can change that with the proper cleaning supplies/techniques.

CG- Me and my husband have been cleaning it that way for years, it works fine, but campers keep complaining about smell.

I wanted to say: yes , I know. Wrong chemicals, and your campers will continue to complain.

At this point I knew this was going nowhere. So I changed the question.

I wasnt a good fit , ya right.
Pebbles bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Me thinks there is more to the story than is stated. I'd have to know more to even attempt to answer weather deception was worthy of a "good time", and if the non-answers were justified.

I'm not of the crowd that assumes a poster is right, just because they are fellow RV type persons.

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles bam View Post
I'm a fulltime RV'er for the last 6 months. I sold my very successful business and decided to travel and maybe work camp ( keep me busy). Im only 45 yrs old, good health, etc.

I applied to about 15 -20 campgrounds. Only 1 called. After talking to them, they said your hired. But,they called back the next day. I had to send a pic of my rig n me.

Well, it changed. The owner who lives in another state, said we were not a good fit, there in the bible belt . Lol. Ok. Whatever that means.

I wish the managers who put out the ad explains the position as well as who they are looking for,

Example:

Non smoker ( huh ?)
No tattoos,scars
Enjoy the bible
$150,000 + Motor Home

So I decided to have some fun. I put on a 3 pc suit, found a nice expensive motor home for sale in the area, took a picture of me standing next to it,, changed my resume to - a pastor on wheels.

At the end of the calls- I said , after seeing your CG/Resort, they were a good fit for me. Lol lol lol.

Most people reading this post might not agree with what I did, but , I had fun with it.
I've been turned down for different jobs in my life, but I look at it this way now, I figure I dodged a bullet. If someone doesn't want me, I am certain I would not want them either after I saw the whole picture. It's about finding a good match. There are matches out there for us Denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgrandma View Post
I think we all have had that happen - offer made, papers signed them told they are withdrawing the offer.

I just had that happen at a park in Tombstone. She contacted me so it was her going after me. Even when I questioned the number of hours vs what a monthly site goes for - 24 hours at minimum wage for a 225 a month site. I told her that I don't mind working extra hours when I like my work. She said when you add propane, electric, wi-fi, cable it equals out but would cut it down to 20 since I am a single workamper. Two hours later she sent an email saying we were not a good fit and the offer was withdrawn. Oh well - her loss.
Hi Grandma, I am not full-timing and I am only rigging my truck so I can sleep in it for now. I need to work as full-time as possible so through the Summer I will be hitting "Oregon only" CG's on weekends to get the feel of being out there.

I camped most of my life, once or twice a Summer you know But it is a dream to be a ft'er I live near Roseburg, so if you want to yack be glad to get to know you Denise PS I am 60
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #11

We joined work kampers back when it was sent in paper format and had fun with the positions we took. Last two places have no idea of fun. they were full time job for skilled labor in exchange for full hookup no cable and back aches.

Need to stay in Florida this year to be near older parents...sandwich generation. Cant seem to connect with the right situation either.

Once they hear solo vs. couple...hours are added on and once you accept, arrive, setup the work description changes dramatically. Finding this at places with mobile homes vs. just RV locations.

Still searching for an RV park to do part time work myself.

You may want to google workkampers, happy vagabonds, pampering campers sites and see what state you wish to work in -- you may have better results.

OH by the way I was younger once too...I am now 65 so back breaking work is no longer an option
veterannomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Here are some sites to look for work camping jobs:
http://www.camp-host.com/
http://www.camphost.org/
http://camprrm.com/
http://www.coolworks.com/
http://www.retiredbrains.com/default.aspx
http://www.happyvagabonds.com/
http://www.rv-camping-lifestyle.com/rv-jobs.html
http://www.usace.army.mil/Home.aspx
http://www.workamper.com/index.cfm
http://www.workampingjobs.com/
http://www.rvfhu.com/rving/workamping-reviews/
http://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/
http://www.work-camping.com/
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

Great resources!
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles bam View Post

Example:

Non smoker ( huh ?)
No tattoos,scars
Enjoy the bible
$150,000 + Motor Home

Look into working for us (Amazon.com) - you will need to be over 18, and we don't care if you smoke, have tattoos, your religion is definitely your business and as long as you have an RV, you are eligible for our CamperForce program. Paid campsite, well above minimum wage, shift differential paid, time & 1/2 for overtime, completion bonus if you stay for our entire holiday season, paid for any referrals you make and you get to use the employee discount for purchases from Amazon. We have 3 locations to choose from and is work is from Oct to Dec 23rd (unless it slows down earlier - that hardly ever happens).

It IS hard work. It's in a warehouse and it's fast moving as we are trying to get purchases to customers ASAP. If you want to check us out, go here: Amazon Fulfillment - CamperForce

I have heard horror stories from our campers about people hiring you & then at the last minute telling you they don't need you. So unfair as it leaves you scrambling for a job at the last minute. Larger seasonal companies (like DNC, Xanterra, Adventureland, Dollywood, etc.) are less likely as they are more likely to be able to predict how many employees they need.

Good luck!

PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote