Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #1

Interested in hearing from those who have done workamping in the Black Hills. Good and bad experience. I retired April 2007 and we spent the winter in FL. Managed to keep busy in FL but not doing so well this summer. Gas prices keeping us less mobile then we would like so have deceided that the Black Hills will be our summer home. I would like to work enough to pay for our camping fees. I emailed 15 or so camp grounds inquiring about monthly rates and two offered me work sight unseen. We will be in the BH Mid July for a few days and will check out the differn't CC. A heads up from your experience would be helpfull.

Thanks....Ken
Kennyjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #2

Interested in hearing from those who have done workamping in the Black Hills. Good and bad experience. I retired April 2007 and we spent the winter in FL. Managed to keep busy in FL but not doing so well this summer. Gas prices keeping us less mobile then we would like so have deceided that the Black Hills will be our summer home. I would like to work enough to pay for our camping fees. I emailed 15 or so camp grounds inquiring about monthly rates and two offered me work sight unseen. We will be in the BH Mid July for a few days and will check out the differn't CC. A heads up from your experience would be helpfull.

Thanks....Ken
Old 06-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ken & Toni: Hi from Mitchell, SD area. My wife and I just left the Hart Ranch RV Resort off Hwy. 16 between Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore and THEY ARE SEEKING WORKAMPERS!! It's likely one of the nicest parks you'll find and if you do a computer search look simply for Hart Ranch...you'll find it. I think you'll like what you discover...paid and unpaid jobs, including parking sites etc. Great location. Check it out. Steve & Lynette
Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #4

Chickadee,

I plan on stopping in at Hart Ranch in a couple of weeks. Could you give me a little info on hours to work for site ect. It is one nice RV Park. email me at dakotarider2001@yahoo.com

Thanks,Ken
Old 07-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #5

Hi Dakotarider...
Did you get a job in the Black Hills? My husband and I are volunteering at Custer State Park for eight months, from April through November. We're here for so long because like you, we have decided to stay longer in places because of the cost of gas. If you're still here, please email us and maybe we can get together for lunch.
You asked for positive and negative feedback. We love working here because of the many interesting places to visit, the beautiful scenery, the birds and wildflowers. Negative? Definitely the weather. It's cold here much of the year, then a short, hot summer. Thunderstorms are common so please - get yourself a good surge protector and unplug your computer at night!

Bill & Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #6

Hi,

We are going to be in the Black Hills July 15-17. We are driving the car out as it is going to be a quick trip. Staying at the Spuper 8 in Custer.
What sort of site do you get in Custer state park. We are thinking more May-Sept as we will still be staying 6 months in FL.
I guess if something doesn't work out in the workamping area may look into volunterring. Not really needing to make any xtra money but would nice to have a full hook up paid for.

Ken