RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #1

29' Campground/"Flexibility"?

Hi, so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a $15-20k late 90's early 2000's Class A, (for fool-timing and I'm more attracted to a campground environment than an RV Park Not keen to go much over 32' anyway unless something $pecial presents, but not seeing too much at 28 or 29' (and lots at 33-35'+...:( I'm wondering is the 29' thing a rock solid reality at campgrounds? 29.5', 30, or 31' sometimes allowed/fit in the 29' requirement? Any wiggle room??? TIA, & Happy Trails Campers!)) Cristos

Cristos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

On our first Class-A we chose an ACE 29.2 which was just about 29' 7" and found we could fit anywhere we could back into and overhang the rear because the length from back of rear tires to the front cap was only ~23' and as long as you don't cross the front lines, you're good (obviously rear limit lines for parallel parking sites, trees or other rear obstacles will determine your max RV length)
We now have a 34' 7" RV and can easily fit in 30' spots that have rear overhang room. We just say we are 30' when making reservations. As long as you fit within the site, we've never had issues.
Knowing what the actual footprint is of where you want to stay and the critical physical dimensions of your RV (not just model number or brochure specs) helps a lot when planning your trips and RV selection.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristos View Post
Hi, so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a $15-20k late 90's early 2000's Class A, (for fool-timing and I'm more attracted to a campground environment than an RV Park Not keen to go much over 32' anyway unless something $pecial presents, but not seeing too much at 28 or 29' (and lots at 33-35'+...:( I'm wondering is the 29' thing a rock solid reality at campgrounds? 29.5', 30, or 31' sometimes allowed/fit in the 29' requirement? Any wiggle room??? TIA, & Happy Trails Campers!)) Cristos
The year of your prospective RV is going to limit where you can park it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:42 AM   #4

I have seen it both ways, my coach is 29'5 inches bumper to bumper, and there are 30 ft sites that I have barely fit in, mostly ones that don't allow rear overhang, either due to nearby trees, or retaining walls. Then there are others where a 40 ft coach might have fit.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #5

Make/Model/YEAR Restrictions at Campgrounds?

Thanks for your perspectives One comment references year-of-RV limitations: what may they be? I am going to purchase something which is visually presentable/in very good condition, and i have heard about year-of-RV restrictions at some RV Parks - which I am not particularly keen on anyway - but at Campgrounds?? In general, what are the known/common/experienced age of vehicle cut-offs at either RV Camps (Resorts;-) or Parks/ Campgrounds??? TIA)
Cristos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #6

This is commonly a 10 year rule, which can be found at some RV resorts, I have yet to encounter it myself, but I don't tend to stay at places with "resort" in their name. Even then many of the places only apply the rule to people staying longer than a week, and many will grant exceptions based on emailed photos.

I am leaving on a trip this week, and have overnight reservations at a an RV park that states no RV's older than 1996, no exceptions on their web site, which I find odd as it appears to be a fairly typical roadside rv park, though maybe a little nicer than some. This is particularly surprising given some of the reviews state that it has a number of long term residents with RV's which are patched up with plywood.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristos View Post
Thanks for your perspectives One comment references year-of-RV limitations: what may they be? I am going to purchase something which is visually presentable/in very good condition, and i have heard about year-of-RV restrictions at some RV Parks - which I am not particularly keen on anyway - but at Campgrounds?? In general, what are the known/common/experienced age of vehicle cut-offs at either RV Camps (Resorts;-) or Parks/ Campgrounds??? TIA)
Some parks have an age restriction on what you can bring into the park.

I've seen exceptions if you send a photo of your rig.

I'm guessing this is to keep the riff-raff out of the park as the thought is that if you can afford a newer rig you must be a better person...

I've never run across the age restrictions with my 02 Bounder and I have no problem taking my business elsewhere if there was one.

The dates can vary from 5-10-15-20 years. It just depends...

I've stayed at a couple hundred rv parks/resorts/etc all over the US and have never had a problem.
atroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

They probably introduced the age restriction after discovering that they couldn't evict the ones with the plywood patches on their beyond the usable lifetime vehicles.

johninsd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground