Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #15

Everything in our MH is either Goodwill or St. Vincents or leftover items from the house. We take it from the house to the MH and from there back to donation. I think I have bought 1 or maybe 2 new items for the MH. Even the labtop is one of our old units.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found a set of electric steps with motor for $200 at a salvage dealer. Mine were all rusty and these are like new!
Juanita N Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought 24 inch electric steps and motor from a salvage yard for 200.
Juanita N Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to Goodwill on a recent Tuesday afternoon, senior discount day, and bought dress shoes, a white dress shirt, suit pants, and a Pierre Cardin sport coat, all for just under $16!
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Haven't yet but you got me thinking I need to start looking.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I generally look for tools when I visit yard sales, but I've found some other stuff.. My favorite coffee cup for example is a yard sale find. A Sewing Machine (yes, I sew.. When needed) and more.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Funny you should mention sewing machine. I don't sew . . . yet, but last year I picked up a very nice machine at a yard sale for $10. Then Singer ripped me off to the tune of $15 for a photocopy of about a ten page manual for it. I'm hoping there will be some new curtains and cushion covers in my future.

And almost all of the cookware in my RVs has come from thrift stores and garage sales.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #22

Has anyone attended the famous Route 40 yard sales?

http://www.ohio40.com/
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #23

Garage sales are great for finding stuff for camping/rving. We bought silverware, pan, games and equipment. In fact I just picked up a Coleman camping stove and lantern for a dollar each last weekend.
T Fam 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #24

I bought an oak TV tray over the weekend to use inside and outside of the Class B. 2 bucks !
Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
Funny you should mention sewing machine. I don't sew . . . yet, but last year I picked up a very nice machine at a yard sale for $10. Then Singer ripped me off to the tune of $15 for a photocopy of about a ten page manual for it. I'm hoping there will be some new curtains and cushion covers in my future.

And almost all of the cookware in my RVs has come from thrift stores and garage sales.

JP
Did you search online first? Almost anything printed may be found with a search engine. Here are ten pages of results.
Free is always better.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you search online first? Almost anything printed may be found with a search engine. Here are ten pages of results.
Free is always better.
Ohhhhhh yes, I spent HOURS searching online for a manual, over a period of a couple of weeks. Over the years I've located many manuals I needed online. I found manuals for many, many Singer models, but not for my model. I even downloaded several that appeared to be similar. I'm sure some of them would have been similar enough to be completely adequate, but being a complete novice with a sewing machine I had no way of knowing which would work and which wouldn't. You have to keep in mind here that my entire experience with a sewing machine was playing with my mother's antique machine more than 50 years ago. And when I say antique, I mean it was an antique THEN. Looked just like a treadle machine with a motor added. It was probably made prior to WWI.

Mechanically, it's a very different story. I have enough mechanical aptitude that I was able to disassemble the machine and diagnose and repair a minor problem, and it now works flawlessly. But without a manual, I didn't even know how to thread it. Close, but not quite right. I suppose that's what was so frustrating. The difficult stuff was a stroll in the park. The simple act of threading a sewing machine was completely foreign to me. It's obvious that I should have taken Home Ec when I was in school. I could have learned to sew, and hung out with all the pretty girls at the same time. I'd call that win-win.

The people at Singer may make very good sewing machines. But when it comes to customer service, the only thing they really care about is how much money they can suck out of your wallet. One of these days I would like to buy a commercial machine and learn to do some upholstery. And when that day comes I can guarantee it will NOT be a Singer.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #27

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
Has anyone attended the famous Route 40 yard sales?

http://www.ohio40.com/
I will be hitting them this Friday and maybe Saturday.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #28

Yesterday, at the Route 40 yard sales I bought an old House Vehicle license plate looking something like this. I plan on hanging it outside the Class B as a decoration while camping.