Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Best way to reduce gasoline cost?

My son is getting remarried. We are in Oklahoma and he lives in New
Hampshire. We looked at taking the RV & it will cost us almost $2000 in gasoline alone (not counting other RV related expenses like park fees, etc.). As much as I’d love to RV to his wedding, it just seems like there is no way to afford it. :(
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

The age old recommendations of driving like a egg shell is under the gas pedal and not going above 55mph are about all you can do.

Aerodynamic drag increases 4x with the doubling of speed so it takes 4 times the power to go 70 than 35 as example. When you are driving a parachute down the highway drag is you number one killer of mpg.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
My son is getting remarried. We are in Oklahoma and he lives in New
Hampshire. We looked at taking the RV & it will cost us almost $2000 in gasoline alone (not counting other RV related expenses like park fees, etc.). As much as I’d love to RV to his wedding, it just seems like there is no way to afford it. :(
How much are other alternatives?

Bus?

Flying?

Drive car?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You have to do a side-by-side comparison of fly vs drive car vs driving coach with all anticipated expenses under each column. Only then will you be able to see the differences in cost to you.

We've done this when attending engagements out of state. Most of the time, leaving the coach behind is the less expensive alternative.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

5 miles to the gallon each way?...1690 mi (center to center 1 way) @ 2.75 avg
flying seems far cheaper especially booked in advance
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Oh yeah, I wanna be a fly on the wall when this comes up: "Honey, I did the math, it's cheaper to fly. Just stuff alll your queep in this one overhead bag. And rather than rent a car, we's gonna bum rides from our new family."

Dude, you won't be outta the hospital in time for the wedding.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

Unless your planning to stay for a couple of months , just take the car . You should be able to do the trip in a couple of days.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I detest flying -- well I detest getting shaken down by TSA. I haven't even looked at plane fare cost. We may just have to drive the van.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #9
tcg

Something else to consider, what if you breakdown? In either your RV or vehicle.

Can you afford to miss the big day? Can you afford to leave the the RV or vehicle and grab a rental car if you breakdown?

Flying may be the cheapest option.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:12 AM   #10

Does the wedding date cause you to get there is a hurry? Pressing matters at home require you to get back quickly? If either one is a Yes, then either Fly or Drive. If no to each, then just make an enjoyable trip out of it.

PS, don’t forget the cost of pet sitter/boarding costs.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #11

what is your REAL drive time to this wedding?
are you retired and have all the time in the world to start WAY before and enjoy this trip out to the wedding?

a lot of factors involved on a personal level here.

but if no time is really available I would fly in and celebrate and fly out back home BUT if you are afraid to fly, that is another problem. Afraid to fly or hate flying so much you just don't consider it as an option.

Short on time literally then it is all about how fast and cheap you can get out. Very long drive, you can not get around a true discount on gas even with a 'good sam card discount card' or any other situation applied as price of gas is price of gas with very small discounts to any of us.

best of luck and let us know how you are getting there and CONGRATS on him finding another love in his life and moving forward!!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are retired & can go at our leisure. Don’t have a wedding date yet so no hurry to get there either. We do travel with 4 cats and a dog. We for sure will take the cats. May board the dog. Our “car” is a 2018 Chrysler van so not too worried about breaking down. I don’t hate flying; I hate TSA clearance. Still lots of thinking to do.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I guess I'm a bit dim but I don't understand the question. None of us have any control over the price of fuel - nothing you can do.

You do have some control over how much fuel you consume to include not starting the engine. Back in high school we used to do things like shut down the engine and coast down hills, make friends hop out and push the car at stoplights, and so forth - none of those are probably applicable here (nor intelligent ).

In most cases, the cost of fuel is only part of the cost. Think about what it would cost for hotel, restaurants, boarding of animals, etc. if you were to drive car/fly/etc. There is also a "cost" to staying with a relative (in their home), at least IMO!!

Finally, slow down! Take a month and enjoy the trip!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #14

When my niece got married we made it a 3 week camping trip with the wedding in the middle.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas