RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #1

Boondocking and dumping

For those of you that boondock with a Class C, what do you do about refilling your fresh water tank and dumping? The gray tank in particular seems to fill up fast. Do the Harvest Host facilities have fresh water and dump stations?

BobbyC52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC52 View Post
For those of you that boondock with a Class C, what do you do about refilling your fresh water tank and dumping? The gray tank in particular seems to fill up fast. Do the Harvest Host facilities have fresh water and dump stations?
For the Harvest Host question, why not check their website FIRST? Very simple to look at their FAQs.
Do the Hosts offer electricity, water or sewer hook-ups?

The Hosts are, first and foremost, wineries/farms/museums and do not provide the services that you would find at a campground. However, a small number of the Hosts do offer electricity or water. This will be listed on the Host information page.
Yer welcome.

OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #3

Water and dump sites are avalable in many Flying J travel centers.

Mist campgrounds will also let you dump and fill for a fee.

If I was dry camping in the woods, not a winery parking lot, I wouldn't have an issue dumping some gray water on the ground. Tent campers dump the dish and shower water on the ground.

I have also opened both gray and black tank valves, while the cap was on, to transfer gray water to the black tank. My gray tank is higher then my black tank.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #4

I have a small class A, not a class C, so may have larger tanks (80 gal fresh, 40 gal black, 40 gal gray), but if my travel plans and weather permit my tendency is to spend X days dry camping, followed by 1 or more nights at a campground with full hookups. For me if traveling solo that is typically 5-7 days dry camping, then a day with full hookups, if my wife is along it is 3-4 days. This also tends to time well with the need to grocery shop and do laundry.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #5

Obviously conserve as much as possible. Most sewer treatment plants offer dumping. You shouldn’t have to travel far to find one.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #6

p.s. I also find it harder to find potable fresh fill water than it is to find a free or low cost public dump station.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various forums here and ask questions as they come up.

Many interstate rest areas have dump stations. Many truck stops as well. You can usually also dump at state parks and private campgrounds for a fee.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #8

https://rvdumpsites.net/
Old 01-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #9

There is also www.sanidumps.com which may be a little harder to use as it is not map based, but seems to have a better database.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:08 AM   #10

If I had a travel plan and needed to "dump/Refill" I would search web and or make a few call... By myself I have gone 6-8 days with ease on my older MinnieWinne 29.. Still conserving,,, fast showers, I have let the grey trickle into a grassy spot,, I use a porta john or a public pooper when I can or on a hike, nature calls...
I have brought 10-12 gallons extra water and 15-20 gal of fuel on my hitch carrier... Especially in dead hot summer 90+ days and nites 80+.. seems to be the weeks I pick for my longer trips.. I need AC, I will spend 6am til 3-5pm out and about but then,,,

My worst issue in my class C is the Black Tank.. lousy design, there is a drop pipe in toilet flange.. Tank is 6-7 inches high but the pipe is 3" from bottom.. Weird... so even with alot of liquid a pile/clog forms very fast..
I plan on pulling toilet to fix the ball seal and I hope to be able to trim that drop pipe..

sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking