Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #15

If you served, USAA great service, totally on line. I was enlisted for 3 1/2 years in the 60's. Got my RV loan in April. Happy RVing.
Bounder3View is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am also looking for a used unit and will be retiring in 3 years. July 4, 2017 but whose counting. Can't wait! I am looking at units 12 to 14 years old because I do like the floor plan and patterns, but the most important part is the engine still good on a diesel if it has 80 thousand plus? Or 40 thousand plus? I have seen quite a few units that appear to be in good order, no broken interior parts, clean outside, and they seemed to be well maintained. What should a newbie look for?
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #17

Smile Have you considered fiberglass?

We are so happy with out little trailer. It allows us to enjoy the places we travel to instead of working on the RV. For exposure and other people's experiences go to:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/
Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #18

We found a 40' 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus with 47,000 miles at a local RV dealer, looks new inside and out. Class A diesel pusher with air brakes
We have had a few minor problems that I have repaired myself, new is out of question. Buying from a dealer, we also took out an extended warranty in case major issues came up. Jeep Liberty 4x4 from Car Max, good experience with them, for towing. Be careful for a tow vehicle, if you do not get a 4x4 with a transfer case that you can put in neutral, you may end up spending more than you wish trying to modify it for towing.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
And has anyone had in luck with online RV Financing companies?
If the OP has an address outside of Alabama, his financing options increase a lot. For some reason, most of the big RV finance companies don't operate in AL; leaving you to your local CU or a cash purchase.

That goes for the Good Sam group's financing, too, so do your research into an out-of-state residency or registration if you can.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #20

I looked for a long time before switching from a class C to a used class A. I would agree there are tons of overpriced consignments on the market in which owners are way upside down.
As for buying new, I have spoke with many people who purchased new, and still have plenty of maintenance issue to work out. I am convinced that buying a new RV does not give you the 5 years/50k miles of trouble free travel that you get with most new cars these days. The original owner gets the chance to work the bugs out.
powchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #21

Cool Just some more points

From what I see when passing RV dealers, all of them are up to their eyeballs in units. There is economic stagnation and I think that they would be willing to deal big time to turn their inventory.
I haven't done any shopping so don't really know.
There is another point, some RV Parks won't allow ten year old and older rigs.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:26 AM   #22

Cool

What? Really they discriminate like that? I had no idea. I guess I'll just see what happens when I pull up in my 2002 37' MH.
45isthenew65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45isthenew65 View Post

What? Really they discriminate like that? I had no idea. I guess I'll just see what happens when I pull up in my 2002 37' MH.

If you know the 10-year rule, don't shout at the devil; just say it's less than that and everybody's happy.

It keeps the riff-raff out. If yours is clean and looks decent, just tell them it's 8 years old and they won't care. If it's a pig-stye, they might not let you in even if it is only...."8 years old".
Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #24

There are a ton of gently used RV's out there, for a significant price discount over new. I would go pre-owned.
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
I hope to be full timing in about 7 years (counting the days already). I plan to research the new units avaliable from now, 2014, to the year I actually do buy the used unit, which could be as late as 2021.

From what I know about Diesel Pushers, is that as long as a diesel engine is not used for short trips, then they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I figured that most RVs are not used for short trips, so no concern with older low mileage diesel engines.

As far as the old hoses, tires, brakes ... All that can be replaced with new parts at much cheaper than the difference between an older and new RV.

Most 10-year old RVs may be down in price to about 30% of their original MSRP value. Even a 5-year unit may be only worth about half its original new MSRP.

Curious what others think about my thinking.
I am not sure what you consider a short trip, but I do know from experience, if your still working and only have weekends off, most of your trips will be of 100 miles or less because you have to get back to work Monday morning....of course there is the annual vacation but everything in between is short. I have had two gas engines, a class C and a class A gas engines....and I would recommend those for those that are still working....as we speak my new NeXas class A diesel pusher is in production....and shortly after I am sure the initial bugs are out of it, we will be full timing it for the next 5 years or so under their warranty and an extended one bumper to bumper to keep any repair cost down to the deductible to hopeful make our journey a little more comfortable.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by powchazr View Post
I looked for a long time before switching from a class C to a used class A. I would agree there are tons of overpriced consignments on the market in which owners are way upside down.
As for buying new, I have spoke with many people who purchased new, and still have plenty of maintenance issue to work out. I am convinced that buying a new RV does not give you the 5 years/50k miles of trouble free travel that you get with most new cars these days. The original owner gets the chance to work the bugs out.
Yes the original owner gets to work out the bugs, while that's necessarily a good thing, the original knows where are the bugs are and any hidden ones will be covered too. I am not opposed to buy info used though I bought a gently used 1 ton diesel truck, had it checked out though lye and 77 days later the enging had a major problem and needed to be replaced....$10,000 I have a great truck so sometimes you pay up front (ie new) or sometimes you pay on the back end....

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
If you know the 10-year rule, don't shout at the devil; just say it's less than that and everybody's happy.

It keeps the riff-raff out. If yours is clean and looks decent, just tell them it's 8 years old and they won't care. If it's a pig-stye, they might not let you in even if it is only...."8 years old".
Good to know! Thanks for the advice...I take care of my stuff so I'm hoping it won't be a problem.
45isthenew65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
I bought a gently used 1 ton diesel truck, had it checked out though lye and 77 days later the enging had a major problem and needed to be replaced......
Very few bad diesel engines. If yours was a Ford 6.0L, then they were known to have design problems. Otherwise, sometimes things just happen; new or used.

An EW provides a certain level of comfort; even if only for the first year until you've found any secrets that you didn't know about when buying.