Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Very few bad diesel engines. If yours was a Ford 6.0L, then they were known to have design problems. Otherwise, sometimes things just happen; new or used.

An EW provides a certain level of comfort; even if only for the first year until you've found any secrets that you didn't know about when buying.
It was a GMC 1 ton diesel Duramax 8.1 Alison transmission, 80,000 miles barely broke in for the engine....sounded great and like I said it was checked out by a pro....one day I am sitting at a light and it's starts making a clunking noise....went away and it returned two weeks later to stay......they still don't know what was wrong with it but to try and fix it would have been at least 6 grand, a new engine with a two year warranty was $10,000...I spent the money. Though a 2003, it was $60,000 new, I paid $27,000. I still think it was a good buy and I still saved money over the new price of a 2014 at the time but I would have felt better about buying it new after that cost.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Save your money, wait until you can afford it, then buy used and pay cash by owner in a private sale.

That's how you'll get the most 'bang for your buck'!

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Save your money, wait until you can afford it, then buy used and pay cash by owner in a private sale.

That's how you'll get the most 'bang for your buck'!

Cheers!
Private, if something goes bad it's still yours and you have no recourse but to pay for it yourself and it can cost....in some cases buying used from a a dealer, you might get a 30 day warranty....if you buy new you will pay but you have a year for problems unless you then extend it....luckily my budget could handle a $10,000 hit to fix a $27,000 buy.....a couple of friends I know bought private had a problem and could not afford to fix it so no wheels....I will not take that chance again.

WDK
Old 06-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #32

There is no right or wrong answer, it is all a matter of preference. We bought new for several reasons and I found that two things are grossly overstated when it comes to buying new versus used. First of all if you buy a quality MH you won't have a bunch of issues to work out when buying new, can it happen yes, but that can happen used too. In our case we have put over 10,000 miles on ours and have spent well over 110 nights in it so far with very few issues that were just minor adjustments, and two switches being replaced. It has only been back to the dealer twice for a microwave recall, and the things I already mentioned. Both times I stayed with the MH , watched how they made the adjustments, and took the MH home the same day.

The second is depreciation. First of all it's grossly over rated unless the people are just trying to dump their MH for reason you won't know until it is too late. Most of the people who say they paid half for a used MH are saying that based on the original MSRP( or even the current year msrp), and not the discounted price. So they get a 50% discount for a used one, where I got a 30% discount for a new one based on the way they figure the price. When we bought ours we actually paid less for it than two used ones with the same equipment, a year older and not the new body style. We also got a 5 year warranty on the engine chassis, along with a 1-10 year warranty on various components of the actual MH.

Both dealers who had the used ones agreed that we could probably get a new one for less but they would not budge on the price as they knew someone who didn't do their homework would pay this price figuring they were getting great deal based on the original MSRP. The bottom line is you don't realize any depreciation unless you sell the MH. When we bought ours we did our research and bought what works for us, and we love it. If we were ever to buy a new one we would just give this one to our kids so they can get a head start on RV'ing.

The bottom line is do your research before you buy or settle on any one thing. You will be amazed at what you can get new or used, for very little difference in price, considering the starting price point. A lot of times you can buy a much better quality MH for a few thousand dollars more, and you will be happy for a long time versus wanting to buy a new one in a couple years, that is not cost effective either.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
There is no right or wrong answer, it is all a matter of preference. We bought new for several reasons and I found that two things are grossly overstated when it comes to buying new versus used. First of all if you buy a quality MH you won't have a bunch of issues to work out when buying new, can it happen yes, but that can happen used too. In our case we have put over 10,000 miles on ours and have spent well over 110 nights in it so far with very few issues that were just minor adjustments, and two switches being replaced. It has only been back to the dealer twice for a microwave recall, and the things I already mentioned. Both times I stayed with the MH , watched how they made the adjustments, and took the MH home the same day.

The second is depreciation. First of all it's grossly over rated unless the people are just trying to dump their MH for reason you won't know until it is too late. Most of the people who say they paid half for a used MH are saying that based on the original MSRP( or even the current year msrp), and not the discounted price. So they get a 50% discount for a used one, where I got a 30% discount for a new one based on the way they figure the price. When we bought ours we actually paid less for it than two used ones with the same equipment, a year older and not the new body style. We also got a 5 year warranty on the engine chassis, along with a 1-10 year warranty on various components of the actual MH.

Both dealers who had the used ones agreed that we could probably get a new one for less but they would not budge on the price as they knew someone who didn't do their homework would pay this price figuring they were getting great deal based on the original MSRP. The bottom line is you don't realize any depreciation unless you sell the MH. When we bought ours we did our research and bought what works for us, and we love it. If we were ever to buy a new one we would just give this one to our kids so they can get a head start on RV'ing.

The bottom line is do your research before you buy or settle on any one thing. You will be amazed at what you can get new or used, for very little difference in price, considering the starting price point. A lot of times you can buy a much better quality MH for a few thousand dollars more, and you will be happy for a long time versus wanting to buy a new one in a couple years, that is not cost effective either.
True, no right or wrong answer though I whole heartedly agree with you. Others would rather disparage new because they did not do their home work or can't afford it which I am not knocking in the least. Like I said before, I am more at peace knowing exactly what is wrong with my rig (hopefully nothing, buying new) but if there is, I know don't have to put any more money into fixing it....you get what you pay for.

WDK
Old 06-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
True, no right or wrong answer though I whole heartedly agree with you. Others would rather disparage new because they did not do their home work or can't afford it which I am not knocking in the least. Like I said before, I am more at peace knowing exactly what is wrong with my rig (hopefully nothing, buying new) but if there is, I know don't have to put any more money into fixing it....you get what you pay for.

WDK
Exactly, that is one of the main reasons we ended buying new. The peace of mind is more than worth any extra money we may have spent, if at all, for what we really wanted. I agree there is the usual dig from used buyers on new buyers that they "waste" money or buy "new problems", but in the end you get what you pay for.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The way I see it.. (and this is only my personal opinion)If you use your RV a lot then Yes.. By all means buy new..Keep it maintained And enjoy it for the next 10-15years...but if your like me just using it 7-8 times a year for a week or two ...I can't see spending all that cash on a new unit... I went from a 2011 Georgetown I brought 8month ago to a 2004 Mountain Air diesel...I needed more space..Both were cash transactions.( both 15k below nada low retail..They actually gave me more for my Georgetown that what I paid for it.) ..I own it free and clear...And only insure it to the hilt when I take it out.... I brought an extended exclusionary service policy and keep a high limit CC in the unit in case something happens... I guess i can take a 20k hit and still be ahead of the game...And to date I'm happy with my purchase...

Bare in mind.. You are not guaranteed trouble free ownership whether you buy new or used... Plenty of horror stories of new units spending 5-6 month getting repaired only to get it back and have to address another issue.... And in the same token..Plenty of Post out there about issue with used units...So what it comes down to is KNOW what your buying...And what you can afford..
Old 06-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
From what I see when passing RV dealers, all of them are up to their eyeballs in units. There is economic stagnation and I think that they would be willing to deal big time to turn their inventory.

I haven't done any shopping so don't really know.

There is another point, some RV Parks won't allow ten year old and older rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAquaman View Post

I have a thirteen year old rig and have never been turned away. Guess I've been picking the slums for our campgrounds. Sounds far fetched to me.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #38

Quote:
I have a thirteen year old rig and have never been turned away. Guess I've been picking the slums for our campgrounds. Sounds far fetched to me.

It's not far fetched if you read the rules and regs on the registration form a lot of private CG's have the 10 year old rule. They use that for the most part to keep out those who do nothing to keep up the appearance of their MH or routine maintenance. If you keep up your MH like yours is they will most likely never ask, and it is no problem.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #39

Quote:

While this may not be true for all parks, several I have been to have this rule posted.....they want you there for a nice visit, not indefinitely because your rig broke down....however, if you keep your rig maintained and looking good, no one will enforce this rule.

WDK
Old 06-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
There is a park in Moab, Portal RV Resort, Speaking of the Resort side, that states;

Quote:
Please note: If your RV does not meet the restrictions and you have made a reservation for The Resort section you will not be able to stay there. If the Campgound is fully booked you risk losing a site all together including your deposit. Please make sure to book your stay in the right section to avoid disrupting your stay with us
The restrictions are;

Quote:
South Side (premium sites/ownership section) Open for rent to: Class A 10 years or newer 5th Wheel 5 years or newer Super C and B 5 years or newer No more than 3 vehicles (cargo trailers included) allowed on each lot All vehicles and trailers must be on a designated concrete pad Additional storage is available for a fee
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
Private, if something goes bad it's still yours and you have no recourse but to pay for it yourself and it can cost....in some cases buying used from a a dealer, you might get a 30 day warranty....if you buy new you will pay but you have a year for problems unless you then extend it....luckily my budget could handle a $10,000 hit to fix a $27,000 buy.....a couple of friends I know bought private had a problem and could not afford to fix it so no wheels....I will not take that chance again.

WDK

I brought privately and got a great deal. Checked it out thoroughly and it's been a fantastic coach at a discounted price!

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Exactly, that is one of the main reasons we ended buying new. The peace of mind is more than worth any extra money we may have spent, if at all, for what we really wanted. I agree there is the usual dig from used buyers on new buyers that they "waste" money or buy "new problems", but in the end you get what you pay for.

I look at it differently. I've had extremely good success buying used, letting someone else take the MASSIVE depreciation hit, and work all the bugs out that all new coaches have.

Works great for me, paying full price new doesn't guarantee you anything, especially if it spends months in the repair shop.

Cheers!