Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Our situation was simple. Using 30% off MSRP, a new MADP would have cost us about $210K more and a new DSDP would have cost us about $115K more than we paid for our 07 MADP.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I look at it differently. I've had extremely good success buying used, letting someone else take the MASSIVE depreciation hit, and work all the bugs out that all new coaches have.

Works great for me, paying full price new doesn't guarantee you anything, especially if it spends months in the repair shop.

Cheers!
I get a chuckle out of those that like to throw rocks at people who choose to buy new while the reverse does not seem to take place. Me, I will take the MASSIVE depreciation hit....if it's a product I plan to keep, does it make a difference....and while yes there is the possibility it might spend some time in a shop getting fixed.....isn't the same a possibility of any used vehicles problems that an inspection did not find which of course if that is true, you will have to pay for it and after that wait for the next hidden treasure that rears its ugly head. I feel more comfortable about being covered on the first year warranty and the extended one that I would purchase. Truly, if most had the extra cash they would choose to buy new....that's like saying if you won a very expensive car on "The Price Is Right" which you will have to pay the expensive taxes on....you would say no thanks, give me a used one instead because the new one might have problems....give me a break.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I look at it differently. I've had extremely good success buying used, letting someone else take the MASSIVE depreciation hit, and work all the bugs out that all new coaches have.

Works great for me, paying full price new doesn't guarantee you anything, especially if it spends months in the repair shop.

Cheers!
I guess you didn't get my point, the "massive" depreciation hit is grossly overstated. In fact I got such a good deal on our new MH that I have been offered as much as I paid for it a year ago if I were to upgrade to a New Ventana DP, with a 28% discount. And nobody pays "full price" for a new MH, and they don't all need "the bugs worked out". You get what you pay for, and a lot of people like to compare apples to oranges to justify their purchase.

The bottom line is we did our research, bought the MH we love and have no interest in "upgrading". But still the same it's a personal choice and no need for whatever people buy to need put down others choices or exaggerate to justify what/which way they bought.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I guess you didn't get my point, the "massive" depreciation hit is grossly overstated. In fact I got such a good deal on our new MH that I have been offered as much as I paid for it a year ago if I were to upgrade to a New Ventana DP, with a 28% discount. And nobody pays "full price" for a new MH, and they don't all need "the bugs worked out". You get what you pay for, and a lot of people like to compare apples to oranges to justify their purchase.

The bottom line is we did our research, bought the MH we love and have no interest in "upgrading". But still the same it's a personal choice and no need for whatever people buy to need put down others choices or exaggerate to justify what/which way they bought.
I do get the feeling that people are saying if you buy brand new that we are making a bad "choice" and they come up with a bunch of antidotal reasons why like most being the bugs which they have to know applies to both new and old and with old you have to include previous owners mistakes in its care and maintenance.....As has been stated appreciation or depreciation only applies if your getting rid of it and is only relative to the buyer....a dealer will screw you and then sell it over priced to another......someone who really wants your MH may offer more than what it's worth....but again all things being equal and their money right, 97 percent of us would take new over used I just wish they would stop trying to put you down and admit it.

WDK
Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #47

Even forgetting depreciation (and all the rationalizations as to why it doesn't matter) you can buy a huge upgrade in quality and features for the same price in a used unit. The typical $150-200k price on a new low or mid-range DP will buy you a 5-10 year old high-end unit with only 50-100k miles that could have gone for mid six-figures to a million when new. Yes, you do have to do your due diligence but the potential payoff in upgraded quality/functionality is tremendous (not to mention no DPF/DEF etc.)

Yes, new is nice without a doubt but it is pretty sobering to look at what you could have for the same money in the used market, even if you budget in an allotment for some repairs if necessary. Instead of dreaming about a high-end rig, why not own one?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Even forgetting depreciation (and all the rationalizations as to why it doesn't matter) you can buy a huge upgrade in quality and features for the same price in a used unit. The typical $150-200k price on a new low or mid-range DP will buy you a 5-10 year old high-end unit with only 50-100k miles that could have gone for mid six-figures to a million when new. Yes, you do have to do your due diligence but the potential payoff in upgraded quality/functionality is tremendous (not to mention no DPF/DEF etc.)

Yes, new is nice without a doubt but it is pretty sobering to look at what you could have for the same money in the used market, even if you budget in an allotment for some repairs if necessary. Instead of dreaming about a high-end rig, why not own one?
While that bargain may be what some are looking for.....I am more wanting a very good model that I can afford that is mine from mile one!

WDK
Old 06-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
While that bargain may be what some are looking for.....I am more wanting a very good model that I can afford that is mine from mile one!

WDK
X2, and I agree new buyers don't put down used buyers as that is their choice and who really cares. But I too do get offended when the used buyers insinuate we are stupid, or careless with our money for buying new, That we could have gotten a better MH, or that we buy nothing but problems that will sit in the shop for months. If that were the case we wouldn't be in the position financially to even buy one of these things, and I didn't sell my house to buy a MH to live in, I did it the old fashioned way, I saved for it, invested well and have always spent my money wisely.

I don't really care what anyone buys but I find it hard to believe that any 10 year old MH of the same purchase price I paid is going to be better than mine both in quality as well as current technology. Sure if you are buying a MH that originally sold for upwards of $700k that may be true, but I don't think that is the case for most of the people who throw out the barbs.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2, and I agree new buyers don't put down used buyers as that is their choice and who really cares. But I too do get offended when the used buyers insinuate we are stupid, or careless with our money for buying new, That we could have gotten a better MH, or that we buy nothing but problems that will sit in the shop for months. If that were the case we wouldn't be in the position financially to even buy one of these things, and I didn't sell my house to buy a MH to live in, I did it the old fashioned way, I saved for it, invested well and have always spent my money wisely.

I don't really care what anyone buys but I find it hard to believe that any 10 year old MH of the same purchase price I paid is going to be better than mine both in quality as well as current technology. Sure if you are buying a MH that originally sold for upwards of $700k that may be true, but I don't think that is the case for most of the people who throw out the barbs.

I could not have said it better, X2!!

WDK
Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #51

I don't know why everyone is so sensitive, buying new is a personal choice and not necessarily a right or wrong one, as most have stated. It is like any other option, if it's worth it to you... buy it.

Personally I'm glad people make the choice to buy new and would like to see as many people as possible do it. It helps keep the RV industry healthy and without them there wouldn't be such an attractive used market to choose from.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roll up roll up, you pay your money you take your chance. There's really no right or wrong.

Barry and Pat,
TGA2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I don't know why everyone is so sensitive, buying new is a personal choice and not necessarily a right or wrong one, as most have stated. It is like any other option, if it's worth it to you... buy it.

Personally I'm glad people make the choice to buy new and would like to see as many people as possible do it. It helps keep the RV industry healthy and without them there wouldn't be such an attractive used market to choose from.
Right, it is a choice but again it seems that those advocating buying used with antidotal evidence that THEY got a great deal and a great coach are not taking into account that just as many got hosed buying coaches with hidden problems and the same goes for a new coach though the repairs are still covered so you don't pay twice. However, in so many words on here those who prefer to buy used are calling those that buy new idiots and with their MASSIVE depreciation scares or that it will spend months in the shop diagnisis etc and yes, I am sensitive to that.

WDK
Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #54

Unless you get a HECK of a deal on a new one, used is the way to go. The depreciation hit on new ones is so great that unless the dealer basically took that hit for you by lowering their price greatly, it is a very expensive option to buy new.

You can, however, find end of model year deals, overstocks, etc from dealers where they have significantly reduced the price.

Baring that, I'd definitely look at well taken care of late model used RVs.

All of the appliances are about the same in RV's with a few major variances:
*Roof unit ACs or ducted heat/AC.
*2-way refrigerators that run on electric or LP or Residential Refrigerators.
*Electric Spark LP/120v water heaters, or those that you have to go outside and light with a match.
*6 gallon water heaters, larger options, or tankless water heaters.

Other than those basic appliance variances, most everything else is pretty standard inside the RVs, which leaves FLOOR PLAN to be your biggest decision to make.

I'm on my 3rd RV and what I've learned is this: More room than you think you need is the way to go, and slides are the best thing since sliced bread. At least for me, this is how it is.

So...

1)figure out if you have a preference for one of the major appliance variables (especially ducted AC/heat vs. stand alone units and fridge type as these are not easy to upgrade to)

2)Go see some RV's, even if not in your price range, to get a feel for floorplans and size needed

3)Set your budget then find the used models that suit your needs. The lower the budget, the older the RV will need to be, but I'd be happier in an older RV with the right floorplan than a brand new RV that is too small or poorly configured for my use.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
The depreciation hit on new ones is so great that unless the dealer basically took that hit for you by lowering their price greatly, it is a very expensive option to buy new.
Yes, that's the way I personally look at it, as a line item option as in:

New vs. a few years old ................................................ $50,000

Maintenance isn't really an issue since clean used units are really no more (or even perhaps less given what I see in some new-unit threads) likely to have problems, and regardless an extended warranty will take care of any issues if you so choose (IOW you can buy your own warranty out of the savings, there's nothing magical or different about doing that vs. paying for a warranty built into the new purchase price.) As to depreciation not mattering if you keep the vehicle forever, simple time-value of money argues otherwise. Also if you are going to keep the unit forever then after a few years it will be... a few years old. So divide the depreciation by the couple of 'newer' years and it breaks down to be a pretty big per-year cost for those first couple of years, and after that... well, you've got a used rig. But again, people spend money on all kinds of expensive options and this is just another choice, if it is worth that much to a buyer then so be it, no one is judging anyone for a personal decision. It's your money, you earned it, and you decide how to spend it. Besides, if we were all that financially smart we probably wouldn't have RVs at all.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Unless you get a HECK of a deal on a new one, used is the way to go. The depreciation hit on new ones is so great that unless the dealer basically took that hit for you by lowering their price greatly, it is a very expensive option to buy new.

You can, however, find end of model year deals, overstocks, etc from dealers where they have significantly reduced the price.

Baring that, I'd definitely look at well taken care of late model used RVs.

All of the appliances are about the same in RV's with a few major variances:
*Roof unit ACs or ducted heat/AC.
*2-way refrigerators that run on electric or LP or Residential Refrigerators.
*Electric Spark LP/120v water heaters, or those that you have to go outside and light with a match.
*6 gallon water heaters, larger options, or tankless water heaters.

Other than those basic appliance variances, most everything else is pretty standard inside the RVs, which leaves FLOOR PLAN to be your biggest decision to make.

I'm on my 3rd RV and what I've learned is this: More room than you think you need is the way to go, and slides are the best thing since sliced bread. At least for me, this is how it is.

So...

1)figure out if you have a preference for one of the major appliance variables (especially ducted AC/heat vs. stand alone units and fridge type as these are not easy to upgrade to)

2)Go see some RV's, even if not in your price range, to get a feel for floorplans and size needed

3)Set your budget then find the used models that suit your needs. The lower the budget, the older the RV will need to be, but I'd be happier in an older RV with the right floorplan than a brand new RV that is too small or poorly configured for my use.
Depreciation or appreciation only matters if your selling or borrowing against it just like a home or it can be adjusted for the eye of the buyer..if you buy used and want to trade up in two years later, it has still depreciated. I bought factory direct....which is the only way NeXas sells their product so yes, I got a pretty good deal.

WDK