Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #57

[QUOTE=smiller;2598769]Yes, that's the way I personally look at it, as a line item option as in:

New vs. a few years old ................................................ $50,000

That's exactly the exaggeration I am referring to, there is no way you are going to buy a quality MH that is "just a few years old" for $50,000, maybe 10 years old or more, but not "just a few years old" as you have stated, and still have it be quality, in great condition and not need one thing in repair, ready to roll with at least a one year warranty. Those are one type of the statement that are grossly misstated just to justify buying used, which is misleading to those who don't go out ,look, and negotiate to see what they can actually get for their hard earned money, and depend on info from this forum as their research.

How do I know, my brother in law owns two RV dealerships, where he originally started by buying used MH's and refurbishing them and re-selling them. He has made a great business out of it, and when he re-sells they are in great shape and have a warranty. He has now added new franchises for several TT lines as well as a new MH franchise, so I would say he is doing pretty well and knows his stuff as well as prices and quality issues. He would buy every one of those "Few year Old", quality MH's for $50k and turn them in a day or two for a good profit. The problem is they are just not there, and he usually has to put money into them.

Again it's a choice, no right or wrong, we chose to buy new for several reasons even considering what we could have gotten through my brother in law. So there is no reason to belittle people thru Innuendos or misstated facts trying to make others decisions look misinformed or stupid. Even he told us the deal we were getting was a no brainer, and the MH would hold it's value better than a lot of other manufacturers. We don't spoil ourselves often but this was one area where we felt more comfortable buying new and knowing we were getting what we paid for.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
That's exactly the exaggeration I am referring to ...
The difference could be $25,000, could be $50,000, could be a $100,000, depends on a myriad of factors including what you pay for each, number of years between models, etc. Calculate the depreciation for a particular scenario and plug in the number, the exact amount isn't the point.

And again, don't know why people are so sensitive about this, it's just a discussion of pros and cons. If you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How did this post become such a issue.. Yes you buy new you take a hit if you go to trade/ or sell.. Once you title it.. It depreciates.... But if you have to have the newest and the best.. You roll with it.. And I understand that.. But to say that the only reason people buy used is because they can't afford new.. Is a reach.. Sounds more condescending than anything else... I could have brought new..and paid cash.. But instead I set a budget.. Brought the rig that worked for me.... Everyone is entitled to there views on things but to say that everyone that buys used has no $$ is a real reach..
Old 12-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
I figured that most RVs are not used for short trips, so no concern with older low mileage diesel engines.

How did you figure this?
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #61

What if you can't find a used version? I've not found any used Winniebago 27BHSS anywhere I've looked online.
Ryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Happily bought our first one used less than a year ago. Because... we're not sure we would like it - so far we do. Figured stuff breaks on newer or older units. Not sure we would like the floor plan or no slides - we are good. Have less to lose on an older unit; easier resale. Ended up learning we made a great pick that the forum would not have enlightened us to based on how and what we use our rv for. It's paid for... except the thousand we drop in her every six month to stay on top of the mechanical stuff... still cheaper than old wooden yachts!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
new or almost new, to eliminate problems
Tom
First mistake not to be rude.
I don't feel much of anything is built right, long lasting or sturdy enough these days with everyone constantly sneaking peeks at their facial book and tweets.
That's just my honest opinion before then watching RV shops, RV videos and such have just as many or more new newer units in them with constant problems.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
I hope to be full timing in about 7 years (counting the days already). I plan to research the new units avaliable from now, 2014, to the year I actually do buy the used unit, which could be as late as 2021.

From what I know about Diesel Pushers, is that as long as a diesel engine is not used for short trips, then they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I figured that most RVs are not used for short trips, so no concern with older low mileage diesel engines.

As far as the old hoses, tires, brakes ... All that can be replaced with new parts at much cheaper than the difference between an older and new RV.

Most 10-year old RVs may be down in price to about 30% of their original MSRP value. Even a 5-year unit may be only worth about half its original new MSRP.

Curious what others think about my thinking.

I agree.
I dropped 7800 on a unit that sounds strong (haven't gotten the nerve to actually eyeball the engine or pull a plug yet) but ended up needed all brakes, shocks, tires, sway bar and stabilzer at the least.
So you figure I'll have "technically" spent 12 grand.
Now it was my fault for trusting the woman/seller but if you haven't been to a car dealership lately, believe me when I tell you RV salesmen are even worse sharks and you could end up with a 38k unit with things covered up. We do all know how they like to shine and polish stuff!!
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #65

Buying my first RV, New or Used?

If you plan on buying used, look for a one owner no older than 10 years and buy from owner. Full timers can’t afford to be out of the unit for repair for extended periods of time. If your budget is low, get a class c first. A cheap class A will eat you up in gas and repairs and they don’t fit in everywhere. If you can set up a try out with the owner for a weekend, you will know if there are problems.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #66

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
If you plan on buying used, look for a one owner no older than 10 years and buy from owner. Full timers can’t afford to be out of the unit for repair for extended periods of time. If your budget is low, get a class c first. A cheap class A will eat you up in gas and repairs and they don’t fit in everywhere. If you can set up a try out with the owner for a weekend, you will know if there are problems.
The number, "10", is arbitrary and likely can't be supported with facts. Since I'm a DP person, I would look at ones from 10 to say 20 years old. No DEF, better MPG, a nice-looking coach in that range has been taken care of, and many items have been replaced by then (roof A/C, refrigerator, etc)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #68

Lots of interesting reading.
If you plan on driving quite a few miles you might consider the 5 year warranties on the engine and transmission on the new or nearly new coaches. Repairing used DP's is very expensive and you need to have a minimum of 10K on hand for unforeseen problems down the road.
If you are extremely handy then the used might be the way to go but if you hire most stuff done then the budget has to be there for that as well.
Some good advice in the post and definitely some off the wall stuff as well. Hope you find one that works for you in the long term.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote