Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Buying my first RV, New or Used?

After deciding to purchase an RV, to go full time or close to it maybe 8 months at a time, we have decided to start the purchasing journey. We know we want a diesel pusher, new or almost new, to eliminate problems, because even low mileage units can develop problems sitting around not used, dry rotted hoses and belts. We do like used units because they have a lot of ad on's like solar ect. I want. We don't want a huge payment, so a somewhat used unit may be our only option. I have learned this forum is a wealth of experience, please give me your thoughts, please.

Thanks
Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a believer in a gently used higher end unit over a new entry level unit. Look at a lot of units and pick what fits you and your budget. Once you have zoned in on a good unit, have your independent tech check the RV systems and the chassis for any problems. This could run about $200 or so each.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
After deciding to purchase an RV, to go full time or close to it maybe 8 months at a time, we have decided to start the purchasing journey. We know we want a diesel pusher, new or almost new, to eliminate problems, because even low mileage units can develop problems sitting around not used, dry rotted hoses and belts. We do like used units because they have a lot of ad on's like solar ect. I want. We don't want a huge payment, so a somewhat used unit may be our only option. I have learned this forum is a wealth of experience, please give me your thoughts, please. Thanks Tom
And has anyone had in luck with online RV Financing companies?
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I am a believer in a gently used higher end unit over a new entry level unit. Look at a lot of units and pick what fits you and your budget. Once you have zoned in on a good unit, have your independent tech check the RV systems and the chassis for any problems. This could run about $200 or so each.

Ken
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
And has anyone had in luck with online RV Financing companies?
I am a Costco member and hooked up with Essex through them, but you do not need to be a Costco member to access Essex. I got approved the same day that I applied online. Just wanted to have the approval on hand before I started negotiating the purchase. Essex turned out to be Bank of the West and the process was smooth.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

I also recommend a used unit. You just don't know what floor plan you really like until you spend some time in it. What you think may be great on a new unit may not turn out to be so great when you spend months in it. You can always buy a new one later.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I hope to be full timing in about 7 years (counting the days already). I plan to research the new units avaliable from now, 2014, to the year I actually do buy the used unit, which could be as late as 2021.

From what I know about Diesel Pushers, is that as long as a diesel engine is not used for short trips, then they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I figured that most RVs are not used for short trips, so no concern with older low mileage diesel engines.

As far as the old hoses, tires, brakes ... All that can be replaced with new parts at much cheaper than the difference between an older and new RV.

Most 10-year old RVs may be down in price to about 30% of their original MSRP value. Even a 5-year unit may be only worth about half its original new MSRP.

Curious what others think about my thinking.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

cucotx, your reading my mind. but I am about the same time frame and all as you are but I am hoping to be up and gone in two or three years.
St. Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
I also recommend a used unit. You just don't know what floor plan you really like until you spend some time in it. What you think may be great on a new unit may not turn out to be so great when you spend months in it. You can always buy a new one later.
One more for used.
It is possible you are better than most but many of us are at least our second due to "would be nice" or the other end with "camping is not what I thought, now how do I sell it".

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #10

buying something that depreciates like a brand new rv would be insanity in my book. buy one a 2-3 years old with hardly any miles and save a third. a couple more years and pay half. I do understand a lot of people have to keep up with the jones's
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #11

Whatever you decide, do lots of homework by joining forums and searching for reviews on manufacturers and potential problems. There is a ton of info out there, take the time to research thoroughly. NO RV is perfect but you will find brands that tend to have fewer major problems than others. It sounds like you are on a budget, don't be "penny wise and dollar foolish", as my old grandpappy would have said.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #12

Make a list of must have & nice to have with the MH. A good start would be visiting local RV sales to look at different makes & models.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #13

We wanted to buy used.... Honestly! We had 2 problems that had us wind up buying new.
1st was the majority of floor plans didn't work for us (having a small child in a car seat and needing a dinette close to pax seat for him to mount car seat into) Also we wanted the queen bed that comes down above the driver in a class A. (this is fairly recent in the last few years) We will often be going with friends.

2nd was the darn unrealistic pricing with sellers of used rigs. I understand you might be under water in your motorhome, but that does not mean I have to pay extra to bail you out!

Getting the floor plan we wanted ultimately won the day, and we bought new.

We looked at some great 4-6 year old diesel pushers, and had it just been the 2 of us traveling as retiree's it would have made sense.

I now have a new 2014 motorhome, that I plan on getting a great 10+ years out of, and I got exactly what I wanted in the price range I could handle.
compute42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #14

I will definately not be buying new. That is not without winning the lottery or such. And since I buy a ticket maybe once every three years I cant see that happening! I have made several local contacts of diesel mechanics, current and previous RVer's and one soon to be small time dealer. As for overpriced used tags I guess even though I don't care for the idea of having to haggle it is part of it. As well I have found a few that even though I told them upfront I am still learning what I want and not ready to buy. ( not wanting to waste anyones time that simply is not interested in just showing.) By the way for Tom222, cucotx and others I don't think I have met a grouchy RVer yet. ( I know they're out there though. I'll keep looking!!) Anyway onto the point. From what I am understanding it is a matter of a lot of simple questions to see just where the rig has been and who and how it has been used. Do they have a good maint. log or something that is a reliable indicator of how its been cared for. It seems many are worried of the layout and even though I do see that as important I guess I was looking more to the mechanics of it first, layout second. I am sure that wifey will have me doing some personal touches to the inside regardless. Thanks again for all the input though.
St. Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote