RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Camping Clubs, are they worth it

I joined Passport America (PPA) in 1998 and have used it hundreds of times; they now allow their members to advertise highly inflated prices then tell you, you can get it for half that. It is also not good on Friday or Saturday nights or holiday weekends, and some parks have added Thursday night to that also. It is still the best deal but not as good as it was when campgrounds had more reasonable prices.

I joined Camp coast to coast (CCC) in 1999 when I saw a magazine ad for a homepark in Arizona; I paid $798 for a lifetime membership with no yearly dues. Sounds like a great deal doesn’t it; well after six years this park dropped out of the CCC system, so my lifetime membership was worthless.

I was talked into joining ADVENTURES OUTDOOR RESORTS (AOR) by paying an additional $1197 because the salesman gave me the impression that anytime I wanted, I could sell the membership back to them for $1496. SCAM, to get the money I would need to bring them a buyer.

This whole camping club thing is full of crooks and scammers so be prepared to be lied to, disappointed, and cheated.

I have used, and still use PPA hundreds of times; I used CCC over 800 times and frequently was over charged, especially on the West Coast before I lost my membership when my “HomePark” dropped out of the system. I then used AOR several hundred times, and over 200 private parks. I try to boondock for free as much as I can and in the winter I do monthly stays at much reduced cost. One last thing, Fed and State parks are not a bargain anymore now that they are "Privatized".

I have saved money over the advertised prices but it still averages about what it would cost to become stationary in a rented apartment. Remember you are paying for campsites AND fuel, tires, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and many other unexpected costs. I have a right to complain however I still love the open road, the ability to go north in the summer and south in the winter and all the beautiful sites in this great nation so just put up with my bitching, and you trolls and haters get a life and don’t comment or I will block you.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
Since 2001, I have used PPA and I am still using it in 2019 !
For $44/year, you cannot beat it and within one or two nights on savings, your membership is paid !

Old 08-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Remember you are paying for campsites AND fuel, tires, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and many other unexpected costs.

AND I forgot to add "Depreciation on your Rig"
Old 08-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
Remember you are paying for campsites AND fuel, tires, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and many other unexpected costs.

AND I forgot to add "Depreciation on your Rig"
And what the hell all these have to do with the subject 'campsites club" ?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #5

I think everyone has to determine the value of these programs on their own, a lot depends on where and how you travel. As always one must be alert for potential scams, and question how long these programs will last before investing in a "lifetime" membership.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #6

Are camping clubs worth it? I guess the short answer is "It Depends"!
Depends on how often you use your RV.
Depends on if you only want to camp on "black out" weekends.
Depends on if there are any campgrounds in areas you intend on visiting.
Depends on a lot of things, for us, it the cost accounting doesn't lend itself to our purchasing a membership. Only one we would be interested in 1000 trails, and frankly the three 1k trails campgrounds we've stayed in are excellent reasons NOT to stay at 1k trails campgrounds! Could have just been the three we stayed in, but after seeing the poor conditions of those three we've since elected to give 1k trails a wide berth! YMMV

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping