Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #1

Cheap Park in Las Vegas area?

My husband and I have been living full time in our Class C RV for three years. Recently we moved to Las Vegas, NV in order to get the health care that he needs. What I didn't know then is that NO campground here will allow you to stay with an RV over 10 years old. My RV is a 1975 Dodge Class C. It's very livable, and dependable transportation even, but not the prettiest ever.

We are quiet people who keep to ourselves. We try to leave any place we stay nicer than it was when we moved in. We are drug free. My husband is on full disability and is on in clinic hemodialysis. His new clinic and new doctors are in downtown Las Vegas and we ride the public bus system rather than try to drive a Class C around town. Since we can't seem to find a campground we have had to rent an apartment that costs over 3/4 of our income. We are literally now having to choose, his prescriptions, or the high protein diet he requires to survive on dialysis. Most weeks, I live on one dozen eggs. Two a day. Because he HAS to eat well or die.

Because he worked most of his life, he receives a "good" SSD income, which means that we are not eligible for ANY state assistance.

I am so desperate that I may have to sell our RV soon. Then we will be at risk of being homeless as well as food insecure. Homelessness is a DEATH SENTENCE for my husband.

Please, help me. I desperately need to find a campground or park where we can park our older RV and have a lot rent we can afford. I can not make a deposit either - we are barely living at this point and I don't have a few hundred to spare laying around!

It must be close enough to at least the outskirts of Las Vegas for us to be able to walk to a bus stop so he can get to his dialysis treatments three days a week.

WE ARE NOT TRAILER TRASH OR CRAPPY CRIMINAL PEOPLE. We are simply quiet people who want to have a decent life and keep my husband alive. But I'm not proud, I'll live anywhere if it means he will be able to survive. The RV is not self contained so we cannot go live on BLM, even if there were any close enough to his dialysis.

You're my last hope. I don't want to sell the RV. But I can't afford for us to continue living here.

So far the only park I have found is Midway Trailer Park in Las Vegas, but they are full. They have been telling me for three months they will have an opening soon. Then when the date comes, they do not have an opening. Please help us. Thank you.

foovay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #2

Have you tried Kings row trailer park. They are on Boulder Hwy/Fremont don't know anything about them just drive by. I'll try to think of more. Most will be too expensive.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #3

Just an idea

Does any one know how to set up a go fund me page? I am not tech savy. If every one that read this post and spread the word would contribute what they could it would help this RV family out.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

Hitchin Post RV. 888-433-8402 Just off the 15 and north west of town a bit. I stayed there a month ago for a few days. Nice old school cool clean place. Not sure but $425 per month.
I have a 2007 RV and stayed there and many other parks. Not seen a 10 year rule much in sin city.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #5

Thumbs up Many Thanks

Many thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions.

First and foremost I'd like to thank sam-3 for the offer of a gofundme. That's really sweet and thoughtful of you. The real problem, however, isn't a lack of money so much as a lack of a place to set our RV and live in it. If we could get back to a situation where we paid only lot rent, I would have enough money to cover our basic expenses as well as the RV insurance and new Nevada tags for the RV.

Kings Row does not allow older RVs.

Hitchin' Post I think their cut off is 2002 - mine is a 1979. Several people have suggested them but I have talked to them and they refused because of the rigs age.

Someone suggested Thousand Trails on another forum, but I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone there yet. They don't have anything on their website about age restrictions, but I've called many many many parks here and they bring it up the minute you get them on the phone so...

I have called ALL that actually front on Boulder Highway. I ride the BHX/Boulder Hwy bus frequently and believe me we noticed all those RV parks! and made a list of them, looked them up, and called them.

I say the ten year rule - not all of them limit it to ten years. Some cut off at 2002, or 2010, or somewhere else in the last decade or two. But my old girl is 1979. This has elicited actual laughter from more than one park owner. One or two said they might consider her if she was fully restored and perfect. She is not. She has a couple of problems on the outside that are obvious. They don't affect her running (great) or being livable (very cozy) but they aren't pretty...

As for too expensive - I am currently paying $750 a month for an apartment I hate. None of the parks I have spoken to were more than that. They just won't accept my old rig.

That said - I spoke to a nice woman yesterday on the phone. She and her husband have just purchased a trailer park out on Lake Mead Blvd. (I think the name of it is/was Las Vegas Trailer Park LOL) They don't actually take possession until May 25th, but she told me they have lots of empty lots and they would welcome my old girl!! I'm not going to count on it until my rig is sitting there (after all Midway Trailer Park has been saying they would get us a space for three months now), but maybe, just maybe that HUGE problem is solved.

Then I can tackle this new prescription insurance carrier that is refusing to cover half of my husbands prescriptions.

Thank you again, all of you, for your kind and helpful suggestions.

Keep your fingers crossed for us. Light a candle, say a prayer. If we can just get one of those lots...
foovay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

I guess my first thought would be why vegas? There than good cardiac care (guess why?) it's a 3rd world country inside our borders - service industry haves and have nots, and tourist prices.

Why not Phoenix or Tucson, Alberquque, San Antonio? Cheaper, better services, less hassle......

Just saying....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:17 AM   #7

My thoughts echo VanD.
Do you HAVE to stay in this area?
Can he get a new clinic to handle his care in another area?
Can you pick a new living location and his medical facility find a new option for him to start treatment there?

Sending prayers your way

If come May 25 and your new cg does not work out, I truly believe finding a new health clinic situation for him would be best for both of you!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

I would also agree with VanD and Whirrlly. Is a move possible? Vegas in the Summer in an older RV does not sound like comfortable living.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #9

We have a 1999 and found Kings Row on Boulder Hwy to be very accommodating in Jan 2018. Very reasonable. We stayed 2 weeks and enjoyed out time.

I understand that some older models are not well taken care of but didn't like the fact at all that most parks won't take you if older than 10 years. Shame on them.
DJliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roadrunner on Boulder hiway.. down the street from AZ Charlies..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #11

Is your husband a veteran? Have you given any thoughts to the Reno area? There are many Mobile Home/RV parks that have older units.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #12

I would not live in a small RV during the summer months as you will bake like a turkey. Doubt you have air conditioning in that rig, even if you did it could not keep up. Most people will soon hit the road in Vegas, wrong time of the year. Ask me how I know....................

Tags
gas