Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #71

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was something that I did not have. DUH
bshan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I realize that nothing is going to change and that many campgrounds are barely making it (financially). Regardless.... some more "ideas"! :-)

If you are going to advertise on the Internet, then please answer your email. Yes, I am one of those folks that really dislikes using the phone - it's a character flaw but it's the way it is.

I like the above idea of hotel/gas station like sign where some rate is listed and vacancy. There are obviously costs involved with that so it's not going to happen.

Would LOVE the big gravel parking lot with electric only hookup - for quick overnight stops. I understand that ground is expensive so not likely to happen - especially since there are about three of us wanting this option. I occasionally wonder if Walmart could make some cash with this. They already have the parking lot, install some electric hookup "posts" that take a credit card - maybe even go inside and purchase some sort of activation "key". I know... that'll be way more expensive than it sounds. Never mind the backlash from the local rv parks about having their business taken away from them.

So much fun to dream....
Love your idea of "Wally World" putting in electric hook-ups.
Ford 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #73
JGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
As a traveler and sometimes a campground customer I have a few suggestions.

Signs
1 Above all Price (with TAX) please.
(Gas stations do IT, why not Campgrounds?? )
They are easy to list
1 Tent W/water ___
2 30 AMP Full ___
3 50 amp Full ___

2 Vacancy?? (Must we Guess)

Reasons
Don't make us drive in with our 50 foot combined length at Dusk just so we can stop and ask. If the price is too much, Or there is a NO vacancy sign I don't want to bother people relaxing with my noisy Diesel Motorhome making a U-turn, In fact I'll not turn in at all.

If it is $38 or $68 per night I'd like to know!! The number of days of my vacation each year IS connected to the amount of MONEY I spend on vacation.

What do you folks think of this idea?
I agree. Many times campgrounds are not listed or easily found on line. There have been many times we have come across a campground that we never knew about...PLUS sometimes cell phone service is sketchy so with that in mind, it would be nice to either have informative flyers available or a sign with a price range AND Vacancy sign for the types of spots available.
JGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandC View Post
The government doesn't want fueled powered vehicles covering the roadways like they do electric vehicles, plus they want the new industry to use municiple power instead of privately supplied power (gas diesel propane).

You need to adjust your tin foil hat.

Most electrical service is not municipal, either, it's provided by publicly traded corporations.
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #75

Don't use RV Parks ..........

This thread reinforces our decision two years ago to 1) add solar, 2) avoid too-warm seasons, 3) avoid RV parks, 4) arrive by mid-afternoon.

I know this isn't easy or practical for larger coaches and such, but for our 30' fifth wheel, it works fine. We have fans instead of A/C (it always seems to be unseasonably warm where we go so we shoot for times and places that don't get much over 80 normally).

This approach does require planning though, and avoiding cities where there is no dispersed camping or forest/BLM campgrounds or State/National parks. We plan ahead using internet resources and Google Earth to identify good off-the-grid places along our route. We've discovered some neat places and have on occasion stayed twice as long as we had planned.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #76

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilderman View Post
I`m a little surprised by some of the responses declining to agree with your good points. A vouple of comments:
1. Unlike sales tax, RV parks are often taxed like motels, which can be more than sales tax, it is often called an occupancy tax. Therefore your request is much more pertinant than some responders seem to think.
2. RV parks are selling, we are buying. Yes they have business problems of their own. If the hope to survive, let alone succeed, they need to take care of their customers!
Exactly, Years ago I asked a campground what their daily rate was (i was standing at the counter)
Their answer was $39
I said ok I need to sty 6 nights
She shows me the bill for $290 !!
I think i stayed 4 nights instead of 6.

I think Many campgrounds/Motels that tell you a nightly price should include the TOTAL price.
It Bait and switch if not.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #77

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to sailsam Send a message via Yahoo to sailsam
Quote:

Signs
They are easy to list
1 Tent W/water ___
2 30 AMP Full ___
3 50 amp Full ___

So fa in the states west of the Mississippi it is quite common for campgrounds to be a few miles off the major highways and on differnt side roads. My wife does not enjoy driving around looking for a campground, let alone drive through the campgrounds to see if it has a laundry, etc. So our standard procedure is to plan ahead, look at their website, read reviews on RV Trip wizard and then call ahead to reserve a space. We are full timers since June 2017 and our trailer is our only home.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:07 PM   #78

I hope Wally World and others continue to permit those that wish to stop there or shop there to spend the night. I never have, but I've not been in a Wally in 3 decades either. If they would charge $20 or so nightly it may eliminate the squatters and homesteaders at some as well. Maybe a $3 dump would eliminate emptying tanks in the lot? The 3% are going to ruin it for y'all.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #79
EPK

Ohio Turnpike RV spots

Ohio Turnpike RV spots great idea, but who fits in a 40 ft space when hooked up and traveling. We are 60 ft. hooked up, our kids travel trailer and Suburban is over 40 ft. Okay for a Volvo and a Aliner . Have never seen them being used.
EPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPK View Post
Ohio Turnpike RV spots great idea, but who fits in a 40 ft space when hooked up and traveling. We are 60 ft. hooked up, our kids travel trailer and Suburban is over 40 ft. Okay for a Volvo and a Aliner . Have never seen them being used.
Being my 5er is 43' I'd have a little overhang on both ends,, doable I guess but not a great idea.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #81
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
Being my 5er is 43' I'd have a little overhang on both ends,, doable I guess but not a great idea.
Out of curiosity, I researched the OH Turnpike RV rest areas. There are 4 of them. Two have pull-through spots. Two are closed-ended. I suggest anyone who wants to use these check out Google maps and the OH Turnpike website ahead of time. Otherwise, they might be disappointed.

Also, the OH Turnpike rules prohibit anything longer than 40'. At least that is what is stated on their website.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #82

There are lots of apps out there that list campgrounds and at least list last years price.
Campendium list all parks and list them from free to fees and it's a free download on your PC.
Tom mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #83

Quote:

Signs
They are easy to list
1 Tent W/water ___
2 30 AMP Full ___
3 50 amp Full ___

Reasons
Don't make us drive in with our 50 foot combined length at Dusk just so we can stop and ask. If the price is too much, Or there is a NO vacancy sign I don't want to bother people relaxing with my noisy Diesel Motorhome making a U-turn, In fact I'll not turn in at all.

If it is $38 or $68 per night I'd like to know!! The number of days of my vacation each year IS connected to the amount of MONEY I spend on vacation.

Great idea!
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground