Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Expenses of Laundry

Hi Everyone,

I heard someone at work who lives in their trailer mention how expensive and how tired they was because of laundry. I bet that is a pain in the tush.

Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204S
Gina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some people actually like going to a laundromat to do their laundry and don't consider the cost to be excessive compared to having to by a washer/dryer. Personally I prefer having my own, that way I know what was washed last and not a load of diapers or oily work clothes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, don't like a laudramat. Stacked separate washer and dryer were must haves for the retirement coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some people actually like going to a laundromat to do their laundry and don't consider the cost to be excessive compared to having to by a washer/dryer. Personally I prefer having my own, that way I know what was washed last and not a load of diapers or oily work clothes.
X2 on that Mr. T.

If I were to rip out the washer and dryer in our coach the wife would kill me in the night when I was asleep. She loves those things better then the ones at home. Says the little ones clean better.

Dave
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you consider, if one load costs $1 to wash and the same to dry and you do three loads a week (2 of colors and 1 of whites) that's $6 a week. Over a year $316.00. A stackable RV size set might run around $1200 so you're looking at three plus years before you see a pay back.

The rear cost that can't be computed would be your time sitting around a campground or off site laundromat wondering what was last washed in the machine you just loaded up. Plus add in the effort needed to ensure you always have enough coins or dollar bills in reasonable condition. A washer/dryer are pretty high on the must have list for my next coach.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #6

"Is my glass half full or half empty" comes to mind in the laundromat versus onboard laundry. As they say "happiness or contentment is a state of mind".

First and foremost it's important to understand how the commentator's way of travel/living in their RV is, as this will effect different responses. Working RVers, versus sitting still RVers versus travelling every few days/week RVers.

We have a Splendide all in one, and wife loves being able to do loads on the rare occasion when we are hooked up somewhere, whilst going off to the pool, or cleaning or even whilst sleeping overnight. Biggest frustration she says is how creased everything gets and how small the load capacity is = she irons almost everything that comes out of it LOL.

As for using clean laundromats - when we are travelling a lot that leads generally to boon docking 99% of the time, when we get two or three coloureds loads and one whites load typically, we'll happily park RV outside a laundromat and put all 3 or 4 loads on and go into RV and do something for the half hour wash time, then put in dryer and time it whilst doing something else in the RV whilst waiting. One half hours downtime once every couple of weeks that we utilize most of that time anyway, doing something else whilst waiting isn't really that much of a sacrifice is it?

We've had our own onboard washer/dryer over 13 years, and depending on how we travel we've not found either one way or the other an inconvenience. Must admit though if we were hooked up longer term and/or working as in SnB's days, then of course we'd be more for the onboard set it and forget it situation.

I'm pushing to upgrade to a newer DP and I know for sure as little as she uses the onboard all in one right now, she's insistent the new rig "if" one day we get it will have to have a stacked washer/dryer. Albeit, the cost will outweigh the usage, but not the convenience no doubt.

STB
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

While we FTd once a week we would do laundry either using the CG facilities or a laundromat in town.
Couple hours....done

Just part of the routine of life
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

We do not have a W/D in the rv. Our rig is too small to even think of a stackable set. Not sure how much we would use a small combo unit, between small load size, wrinkles, and grey tank capacity. I am pretty happy using campground laundries. DH awoke early, walked two loads down to park laundry, drank his coffee and relaxed while the machines worked, and came back to rv with two loads just after I got up. Next time will be my turn, but I won't start as early as he did. So far the machines have been clean and have done a good job on our clothes.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
If you consider, if one load costs $1 to wash and the same to dry
When was the last time you were at a laundromat? Last year over a month at a couple state parks in the Keys we took a laundry day. We hadn't the need since the 60's to use a commercial laundromat and boy were we surprised. Used the larger machines, (with the help of another person) 1 for coloreds and 1 for whites, $6+ for each and then had to dry at about the same cost, lost count putting quarters in to get dry. Felt like a one arm bandit at vegas.
We always keep $30 in quarters for such occasions and some good reading material, DW won't leave unattended.

On our new to use coach one of the bedroom closets was plumbed and ready for a washer. I was thankful DW didn't want one as the dryer vent would have not looked right with our full paint. I do know that if she was to try one i'd have to.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
When was the last time you were at a laundromat? Last year over a month at a couple state parks in the Keys we took a laundry day. We hadn't the need since the 60's to use a commercial laundromat and boy were we surprised. Used the larger machines, (with the help of another person) 1 for coloreds and 1 for whites, $6+ for each and then had to dry at about the same cost, lost count putting quarters in to get dry. Felt like a one arm bandit at vegas.
We always keep $30 in quarters for such occasions and some good reading material, DW won't leave unattended.

On our new to use coach one of the bedroom closets was plumbed and ready for a washer. I was thankful DW didn't want one as the dryer vent would have not looked right with our full paint. I do know that if she was to try one i'd have to.
Well, you were in the Keys and stuff in heavenly places is more costly. I envy your getting a spot in state parks there for a month, no matter the laundry cost.

I believe the machines in FL state parks are owned and serviced by local concessionaires, so prices and machine age/style vary. Most FL state parks seem to be $1.50 or $1.75 for wash and about the same to dry. Once in a while prices are higher (Blue Spring was much higher so we did not use theirs).
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyG View Post
I envy your getting a spot in state parks there for a month, no matter the laundry cost.
I usually get lucky and get spots getting them at the end of their 11 month reservation window. Just have to be persistent.

This year for late september i really got lucky and got 2 weeks in Bahia Honda right on the water, 2 weeks in John pennekamp and 6 days in Long key. Once i got Bahia the challenge was to get the others around it. Really looking forward to that trip.

Two years ago i had to cancel a similiar trip to the keys due to grandson being born.

And to keep on topic we will be doing laundry at pennekamp and probably another time or two at laundromats.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina3 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I heard someone at work who lives in their trailer mention how expensive and how tired they was because of laundry. I bet that is a pain in the tush.

Gina
KZ Spree Escape E204S
Some people just like to complain.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:16 AM   #13

Me too.
Gina
Old 01-15-2017, 12:33 AM   #14

Haha, some people do. Maybe we should say well....we are at least thankful to have clothes to wash. I do that even at home. I'm thankful for a floor to sweep and mop. I'm thankful to a floor to vacuum...haha.