Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
You guys are responding to a 5 year old post. I wonder how inflation has affected Johns food budget over the years.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #30

Perhaps John and others who keep track of their food costs could periodically update the prices in this thread. It seems to be resurrected every so often (look at the dates). Even with the outdated prices, the basic info and techniques for low cost eating are still the same.

For those who are interested. Many stores that you may think of as "non-food" could have better food prices than grocery stores at times. Dollar Tree, Family Dollar and Dollar General all have food. Some is over priced while other items are cheaper than local grocery stores. These are good places to check out when you are in an area that has limited grocery stores... Like Corpus Christi. Basically you can either shop at one of the many H.E.Bs or the one Super Wal-Mart in town. Dollar General beats H.E.B on our favourite brand of TP (Cottonelle)
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
John hasnt posted to this website since October. Hope hes ok.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #32

I have a 70 yr old friend who gets by on $25 a week for grocery's at walmart.
I know my mom doesn't spend more than $150 a month at hy-vee.
My wife and I probably average $75 a week. Other than using coupons when possible we have not made much of an effort to save on grocery's.
Mr Nifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
With Respect to Everyone

With all respect to everyone concerning this subject. I guess Willa and I have never ''budgeted'' food costs. She goes shopping at the Food Lion or whatever and just buys foods that we think we will enjoy. Two nites ago she went to Sams to renew our steak supply and came home with King Crab Legs for supper. About 55 dollars worth of ''legs'' and they were to die for. We ''pigged out'' and had some left over so we ''picked them out'' and put them in the ''reefer'' for snacks and such. We are on a ''see food diet''. If we see food and like it and want it we buy it, Willa cooks it and we eat it. Such is life I guess and this is probably why I weigh 245 lbs.
A wise man once told me. ''YOU CAN NOT EAT MONEY'' ''IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY AND YOU WANT THE FOOD............. BUY IT AND ENJOY''
My cousin Earl is just the opposite of me. He says you are just as ''full'' after a can of beans as you after a big steak. My retort was ''why dont you get yourself a bail of alfalfa to eat, You would be just as ''full''..
To me ,,,, eating is one of the great pleasures in life and so long as good food is available and I have the money.........IM GONNA EAT GOOD AND THE PRICE CAN ''GO HANG''.............

ps. We highly recommend Sams for steaks. Thick, juicy, soo good and tender........... wonderful..........
all respect to others concerning their opinion on this subject. I may die fat but I will not die rich and hungry for a decent meal...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #34

LOL Seajay, ur just too much .
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #35

I agree with you seajay. You can't eat money. I personally get the food I want at wally world. When it comes to saving money food isn't really considered!
I was born and raised in South Dakota. I'm a meat & Potatoes guy. I've tried seafood and yuck is the only word that comes to mind. Well except maybe tuna in water lol.
Speaking of food. Think brats and sauerkraut sounds great for lunch today.
Mr Nifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #36

My stick house is near the Navy Base I retired from. RV is parked 200 miles from there near the Navy Base I now work at. I go to stick house every other weekend. When there I shop in that bases Commissary. Weekend I spend in the RV I shop at that Commissary. I normally spend about 30.00 every Sat. Which equals about 120 a month. Not bad for me and the weekends I'm at the stick house with teenage son. Also I should add I have son pick out a recipe from one of my moms 200 cookbooks every other Saturday I'm over there. He normally picks one that require no ingrediants I have. So that has driven up cost lately. But he has to help me cook it so it's teaching him how to cook.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #37

I love shopping at ALDI. Great prices to say the least.

ALDI - home page
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #38

I think John lives in one spot and does not move like most RVers
Det-Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #39

This post is full of bologna
Highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #40

No, I think John is more into peanut butter. This thread started in Jan 2005.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The marked down meat is the way to go, I've been doing that for about three years now. My stand alone freezer is a life saver, bought it from Home Depot, $120.00 ten years ago.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #42

We have discovered that some Sam's Clubs will mark down their meat as well. I will buy marked down meat if I am going to freeze or cook it either that night or the next morning.