Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Life is to short to eat stuff you don't like just to save a couple of bucks.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Life is to short to eat stuff you don't like just to save a couple of bucks.
The problem is that a lot of the stuff that is fun to eat isn't good for you. I can remember when I used to eat a Whopper. Not any more.

If you do eat that kind of stuff a lot, life gets shorter in a hurry.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two things would be fun:

1. To hear from John again. I used to follow his posts on here and RV.net.

2. To have someone update the thread with some recent information. I know that there are a lot of frugal folks out there, some of whom eat on a tight budget because that is just how things are these days.

I'll admit that we aren't as careful as we used to be. When I first started teaching school and we were just married, we ate on $10 a week because that is the money that we had for food at that time. Breaded Spam was on the menu frequently. We had a garden and canned a lot of stuff from it for the winter. We never went hungry because we shopped very carefully.

So if $100 a month isn't reasonable today, what is and why?
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #46
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
If your talking about John Harrelson, anyone know why he doesn't seem to be posting here anymore? He always had some interesting comments.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
If your talking about John Harrelson, anyone know why he doesn't seem to be posting here anymore? He always had some interesting comments.
Perhaps he starved to death
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since I use my Discover Card for all groceries which I buy at Sam's club or Kroeger, I tallied up the charges for last month which is typical. My wife and I spent 102.30 at Kroegers (so I could get their 10 cents off gas purchase. We spent 160.74 at Sam's. We have Meatballs,Salmon,Chicken,Brats,Kielbasa,and Scallops in the freezer. Numerous frozen vegetables, Stuffed Peppers, Lasagna, Barbeque beef. We also, have a pantry of assorted vegetables,soups,crackers,cereals,dried fruits etc.,
Listing everything would be a very long list. The point is that we eat a lot of nutritious food and once in awhile something that is not because we like it. We ate out twice during the month for a total of 31.90 plus tips. I buy on sale and use coupons. Total cost for the month a tad over 300.00 for two.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John Harrelson is active over at rv.net. And I might mention for those that question, he does spend that kind of $ for food per month, but he is also single.

Best,

ruppr
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Perhaps he starved to death
LOL That was my first thought..............
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
This may have been posted earlier (didn't read all the posts on this thread). But it is sad to see how the fast food chains are doing a booming business because they are cheaper (at least that's the way they are perceived) than preparing your own meals. Taco Bell just got busted for serving less than real ground beef in their taco, etc. Big surprise, when you get something for $.99 that will fill you up its got to be something other than what you think you're getting. But people will continue to support that kind of business because it's cheap.

Other fast food chains are actually more expensive than preparing your own meal. An average combo meal is between $5-6 (before tax). Cooking for two could not be as expensive if you are careful when shopping.

Dave
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #52

I think what John is saying is, if you shop smart you can save money. We always shop price, and watch for sales. Such as, "Buy one, Get one free" (Winn Dixie) and other sales. We (two of us) spend a little over $100.00 a month when we watch for special sales. And yes, we are guilty of eating out a couple of times a month. We usually go to buffets (Ryans, Golden Correl, Pondersoa, Chinese Buffets and even CiCi's Pizza) and places that offer good prices. So far it's worked for us.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know, but my DW just bought me one really good shrimp taco at a roadside stand for $ 1.75. I could eat three meals a day there for only
$157.50 a month.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
A steak, some shrimp cocktail, cottage cheese, some sliced up cukes and a couple of Newcastle Brown ales for dinner last night. We just aren't cut out for the $100 a month food thing. $100 a week isn't lookin' good either.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #55

We do a lot of winco shopping with a few select things from safeway, albertsons and
QFC and the two of us tend to run around 250-300 a month. Then again with the new larger fridge and finally having even a small freezer again i think im going to see that go back down as we are pretty good about pickin out cheap freezables that last. Im only making 19k a year right now so budget is a little snug especially if I have to work on ANYTHING lol. She brings in 200 in food stamps and 250 in cash a month so it helps. Livin paycheck to paycheck isn't the best but i can definitely say you wanna see your cost of living go up try surviving with a dorm fridge for 2 people and nowhere to put frozen goods. Your food supply doesn't seem to last as long and you dont have much of anywhere to put anything.
DevonJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #56

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a quick note on the dented cans John started out with, dents are ok as long as they aren't real sharp angle ones (in other words shallow dents are ok), and as long as they aren't in the seam where the lid and bottoms meet the sides or as long as they're not in the seam that runs where the side of the can is joined together. Eating food from cans that have dents in these areas I just described is an invitation to get sick or worse. Another good way to save money on food is to get invited over to eat at your neighbors!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote