Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We are vegetarians, so we don't buy meat at all. Have you ever tried lentils? A 1lb. bag should cost around $1, but makes lots of servings. We cook a pound and make a double batch of sloppy joes, substituting lentils for beef - and leftovers freeze well.

We also like french bread/English muffin pizza. We wait for the bread or muffins and mozzarella cheese to go on sale. Get your favorite spaghetti sauce and spread a good amount on the bread or muffins. Add cheese and your favorite toppings (we often use a pineapple tidbits fruit cup) and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Yummy, and inexpensive!

When we shopped this week tortillas and enchilada sauce were on sale, so we had cheese and onion enchiladas that were really tasty and cheap. I made two 9x13 pans of enchiladas for about $10. That's two meals for six people. We're feeding three grandkids and three adults at home, so we're always on the lookout for frugal meals, and often freeze leftovers for easy camp meals.

Bagel chips and dip are another family favorite. I get bagels on sale (we can get Thomas' or Sara Lee for $1.39 a pack) at the thrift store. I slice the bagels into little rounds, toss with some parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and a little olive oil and bake until crispy. These store well, and are delicious with dip or sprinkled on soup.

What are your favorite frugal meals?
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Harvest Potatoes

This is a particular favourite of mine and leftovers in the AM fried in butter with a couple of eggs and sliced tomato makes a fine breakfast, lunch or dinner..

Harvest Potatoes

1 Package of frozen hash browns,

1 can cream chicken soup (or whatever you prefer, I like celery for a change)

1 C sour cream, or Mayo (not miracle whip) or bit of both

2 C shredded cheese, cheddar or the 3 blend is good (if you like hot use Tex Mex

1 onion chopped

1 tsp salt

Method

mix all BUT the hash browns in a large bowl (put HB into a 9X13 pan (or 2 8x8)

Gently fold the mixture until all covered, pour over hash browns.

TOPPING

2C Corn flakes crushed, add more if wanted)

1/2 C melted butter

Blend tog. top hash brown mix and bake @ 350 for about 45 minutes...

Makes a lot, freezes well and is also good with mixed frozen veggies tossed in... (yes it was my experiment. Just add some grilled filets or salad on side,and you are good to go!)
Old 10-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #17

When I first started camping at the dunes, my buddy would make up and freeze some foil packets of ground beef, potatoes, carrots and corn. For the evening meal, we just threw the packets into the embers around the campfire until they thawed and cooked. Cheap, easy and delicious.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #18

I like to use a vacuum sealer like seal-a-meal. And freeze left overs. This is also a big saver for lunch at work, then I more $$ for camping. One of things I like to do is BBQ a big brisket, then make up a big batch of chopped BBQ, freeze bags labeled 1, 2,3... Depending on how many sandwiches each bag would make. It taste just like BBQ from BBQ restaurant, i guess because I cheat and buy a bottom of sauce from local BBQ place. Great for traveling with family so everyone can have something different without much trouble. Great on a bun or tortilla.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
When I first started camping at the dunes, my buddy would make up and freeze some foil packets of ground beef, potatoes, carrots and corn. For the evening meal, we just threw the packets into the embers around the campfire until they thawed and cooked. Cheap, easy and delicious.

I don't know why I never thought of doing this myself. I love hobo meals but its a pain making them as the campsite.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #20

He must of had experience, as he always knew when they were ready for eating.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I've done the same thing but cook it on the engine instead of a fire. Put it on about 1 1/2 hours before stopping and it'll be done when you arrive!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've done the same thing but cook it on the engine instead of a fire. Put it on about 1 1/2 hours before stopping and it'll be done when you arrive!
Mmmmm that sounds like a great plan, may I ask how it is secured to the engine....
Old 10-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Mmmmm that sounds like a great plan, may I ask how it is secured to the engine....
Different engines...different strategies. When in college I drove a camp bus about 250 miles every Sunday, taking old stinky campers home then picking up a fresh crop. I'd cook on the way and have a nice hot lunch when I dropped off the old ones. This book can help: Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!: Chris Maynard, Bill Scheller: 9781416596233: Amazon.com: Books

Cooking great meals with your car engine. The heat is on. | Wise Bread
How to Cook Food on Your Car's Engine: 10 Steps (with Pictures)
Engine Cooking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob & Donna
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #24

Quote:

Different engines...different strategies. When in college I drove a camp bus about 250 miles every Sunday, taking old stinky campers home then picking up a fresh crop. I'd cook on the way and have a nice hot lunch when I dropped off the old ones. This book can help: Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!: Chris Maynard, Bill Scheller: 9781416596233: Amazon.com: Books

Just remember if you put a can of beans on your exhaust manifold do not forget to poke holes in the top.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #25

"Manifold Destiny". I've heard about that before....

Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Just remember if you put a can of beans on your exhaust manifold do not forget to poke holes in the top.
Not a good idea to cook in a can anymore, they use epoxy or plastic coatings in the can and it melts in the heat. You can make a covered bowl out of a double layer of foil and put on the manifold. I used to boil water in a paper cup over a fire too. Try it, the water doesn't allow the paper to go over 212º, well below the ignition point of paper.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

WOW!! Who knew?? I could have saved so much time and not missed so many meals working on the road all those years!

Well I thank you for the something new I have learned today ..(my gran said a day you didn't learn something new was a wasted day) good thing today hasn't been such a one.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #28

We try to shop for food right before a trip and buy only enough to flesh out what we need to last the trip. A lot of the things we get do not need to be refrigerated. We may not get the least expensive items, but we don't waste a lot. We can also continue to store canned or packaged food for the next trip. For supplies we usually hit a local-to-the-destination Dollar General or other small local retailer. Many times they tend to specialize in smaller size name-brand cleaning and "house" supplies at fair prices. We also repackage bulk materials and liquids into small containers (you don't need to haul a gallon or 5 pounds when 4 ounces is the most you will ever need). I'll note we currently have a truck/TT and use the truck for this purpose.

Best Wishes--Carl
Atlanta, GA
MrWhipple is offline   Reply With Quote