Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
How many out there RVing full time, retired on S.S and making it?

Love your story and attitude, SBB. I say if your numbers are real and you're able to work along the way, you need to go for it. You'll have a great experience!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #16

I like your thoughts sissy boy. I hope too do the same, but my SS payment should be higher. I'm lucky that I've got some cash saved up too live on and buy an RV. Then my SS should cover expenses. I will die trying
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #17

Hwyhermit and SissyBoyBob,
I admire your determination and outlook. I agree 100% with both of you. Wish you both a wonderful journey. Hope to be joining you in the next few months. Wa8wxm, good luck on the companion.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #18

Well my story has changed a bit for the good I hope. Just got the ball rolling with a purchase of a like new looking vintage 1985 Vogue Elite 33' Class A for $7500. The first step in a new adventure. I think I will be glad I went this way, for I will be able to save my money and maybe even keep my permanent home in San Diego in case I want to hunker down for the winter months here while storing my new baby. This way I can try out the full time lifestyle for a few months and see if it is totally to my liking. Worst case scenario is I will fix up the RV even nicer than it is (its all original inside including the TVs with not even a scratch in sight or a single spot or any wear in the blue carpet) and sell it to someone else to enjoy. I am already liking the feeling of not having much into it, yet it being nice and to my liking enough that I don't mind spending some money on it to make it even more perfect and modern.

Well, more chapters to the story will come in the following weeks and months. Wish me peace and love!
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats to you, SBB! Once you get a taste for the lifestyle you'll probably begin to wondering what you're doing holding onto this stupid house! now get out there and enjoy life!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #20

Congratulations SBB. You are over the biggest hump - for now. Wishing you much peace, love and happiness on the new chapter in your life.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been off 6 months now living on $2200 a month at home. I am on medical leave and with all the money taken out for stock options and 401K brings my pay down to this. I figured all my bills including my MH note is less than $20,000 a year. Our house is paid for, no car note for me and no credit card debt. I may go on permanent disability because of chronic pain after 6 back surgeries which only made it worse. Only one bad thing the wife is 10 years younger, business owner and I am ready to go! My MH is the only way I can ride without being in major pain and is the main reason we bought it. I can actually drive it for a couple of hours and in a car 30 minutes is all I can stand. You can always stay somewhere, save your money till you get enough then hit the road again. Gas will be your biggest expense. Good Luck.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
flangely.... Sorry to hear of your problems! Regarding the pain sitting in a car vs the coach... I'd bet is involves seat geometry. Is your vehicle an SUV? If not, try one. The seat setup is totally different from those crappy, semi-recumbent things they put in cars now. We've had at least one SUV continuously since the mid 90s, and that's my daily driver. Either that or a pickup. Its the seat geometry. Try it.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #23

Seats

JXFG is exactly right. It took me months of trial and error to get the air ride seat in my truck just right. It used to bounce me forward and was too low in relation to the lumbar support. 11 years of perfection is now ruined by the lumbar adjustment valve going bad and the replacements don't work either. As to expense or RVing, the longer you stay in 1 place, the less the whole operation costs. Food will be pretty much the same everywhere and you can save a lot by being wise campers. Has anyone got any experience with Thousand Trails? I was thinking of doing a region per year while spending the winters in Tx when I do the west and Fl when I do the East. Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
Has anyone got any experience with Thousand Trails? I was thinking of doing a region per year while spending the winters in Tx when I do the west and Fl when I do the East. Bob T
A couple of years ago we would have never stayed at the TT over in SoCal. But they have cleaned it up and gotten rid of the ones that had more stored outside then inside. Not every park is a mess and not every park is great. By the way with the TT membership you also get a discount at Encore parks. I mention that just to give a little more information for you to look at.
At the park we are at right now we are paying $500 for the month. You can only stay monthly 6 months at a time here. If we were not members of TT then the price would be $700.

We were able to buy one region and get another free so we have ended up with basically the whole south. Check into if they are still having that promotion or any others.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #25

We are in Houston area (Lake Conroe) and were suckered into buying a $500 zoned membership @ TT. Never stayed there one night. Park is old, gravel roads in bad shape, unlevel gravel pads, etc. under new ownership apparently (Encore) but a long way to go to bring up to par. Monthly rate w/ mbrship is $425 + elec. Very poor wifi and no cable available. Heard they have significant elec problems from antiquated wiring. Company refused to refund mbrship cost when we could not find suitable site. Not all sites are available to zoned members. Total rip-off....beware! Instead, we are at the Lake Conroe KOA on concrete pad & patio, great wifi & cable, $450/mo + elec. Lots of amenities and very customer oriented. Paved streets, exceptionally clean pool, laundry, etc. Makes TT look like a dump!
Kensroomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #26

My wife and I have been fulltime for over 2 years with just social security($1850 after medicare and insurance). We volunteer or work for site a lot, just slightly over half the time. When we travel, we use Passport America or state and county parks. There are also towns that have campgrounds for cheap. Some of the VFW, Moose and Eagles have campgrounds or will let you stay overnight in the lot. We boondock a lot. Not that I have anything against it, but we have only stayed at a Wal-Mart for 5 nights total. Three of them was because of an unplanned trip to Illinois and 2 because of closed roads. I would not change a thing. We have seen and done things we have only dreamed about. We just finished 3 months volunteering 12 miles from the US capitoll building and got to see Washington DC a LOT. We are now volunteering at a Corps of Engineers dam in West Virginia for 6 more weeks. Then, 2 months off and then a work for site position in the Rio Grande Valley (Harlingen TX) for 5 months. Then, a month off and 4 months in Colorado at Steamboat Lake. My ultimate plan is to find a volunteer or work for site job in Arizona for the winter and I know I have one in Colorado for the summer. We have not touched our savings since we started and still have about the same amount in our checking acciount. That varies friom month to month, depending on travel expences. So, I guess we are living proof that you can fulltime on just social security and still have a h---- of a good time.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #27

TT

Kensroomie, I think Thousand Trails is best used for traveling. If you intend to stay at 1 park for any length of time, you can get a good deal without it.

halfwright, how were you able to arrange your workcamping in the RGV? I want to spend the winters there and would love to have a little financial help and have a bit to keep me occupied. I'm a little scared of going from busy to retired and vegging out. Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #28

Bob,
I applied through workampers.com and got lucky on my first try. You may also want to try volunteer.gov for listings with the governmental agencies.

And, you are right about doing something. Working from 12 to 30 hours a week with no pressure and stress is just about right. Good luck and hope to see you in the valley.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, rving