Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
That's what my goal is. I want to enjoy what is left of my life, seeing the country, family and friends and not being tied down. My dream is to full time RV in a comfortable rig. However, I am getting a lot of mixed signals from people either saying, if you can't afford it, don't do it, and others saying go for it. I would like to hear from those of you out there in the same situation I'm in. I need to add that I have money in investments for emergency situations, but want to live on my SS income.
Thanks
I'm in your position as well, and want to do the same thing Katy. On my limited income, I am not sure I will even be able to score a reliable RV of some sort, but I'm still dreaming. I'm into photography, so I would love to get to travel, even a little here and there, just to be able to have such a variety of subjects

You will get so many ideas and opinions, but ultimately, you and I have to decide honestly, what we would need to be comfortable and safe (safe as anyone can be anyway). It will be easiest for me to talk with those that are limited as I am. I don't want to live out my days in some "box" of an apartment with noisy neighbors, and not much to do or see except when I go to the nearest grocery store.

I hope we both make our dreams come true Denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #30

One thing that helps us is using Resort Parks International similar to Coast to Coast.. they have thousands of parks and we pay 10.00 per day sometimes a little more. We only travel 200 to 300 miles per month and boondock when we can.
rjsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #31

Hi Denise,
Since I wrote, I have made some major decision changes. I am in the process of buying a very small house on a lake in Texas (cheap). I have always wanted to retire near water. I also love plants and could not reconcile myself to giving them up on the road. However, this place had to have a large carport to cover a smaller RV so I can continue my plans to travel albeit on a more limited basis. I am now in the market for a Class B or B+ that has the same benefits as a larger rig but easier on the pocketbook and easier to handle by myself. I think there is an RV out there for any of us. It's just a matter of finding it.
I wish you good luck in following your dream and believe you will accomplish it if you keep trying. The people on IRV2 are wonderful, encouraging and full of information and advice. Use this to your advantage.
Take care,
Scarlett
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Aaaahhh, to live on a lake, one of my dreams..
But not now BUT there are some NICE campgrounds on the water such as Beacon RV park on the gulf in TX....

Our daughter & grandkids were stationed in Okinawa, Japan for 5 years.
We flew over 3 times for time with the kids...
Was in Colorado renting the basement from my niece for 2 1/2 years...
One morning they told us we had to move, we thought we were doing a good deed helping them with the mortgage...

Anyway we knew my only daughter & family would be coming stateside, most likely at a AFB in Texas...
Apt. rent in Denver is HIGH so we decided to pay cash for a older Winnie located in Austin, TX...
Soooo, we loaded up a Penske towing my Honda to Austin...
Paid cash for the Winnie & located at a lakeside RV park at Lake Travis just outside of Austin...
Was camping long term so got the low monthly rate of $350 plus around $90 for Elec.
Well within our budget on my SS of $907...(I let my wife keep her SS)...
Our monthly budget cost $700 a month...
We don't run around on trips so no fuel cost except the Honda...
We really enjoyed Lake Travis as the campers were long term & snow birds came in also... Everyone knew each other so potluck dinners, etc...
We were really getting comfortable but were told we would have to give up our spot for a snowbird regular...
We moved to a nearby campground until our daughter bought a home in Wichita Falls, TX....
We now pay her rent verses a campground (large driveway with sewer)...
Now the grandkids can visit at anytime...
They will be transfered in 3 years so we can go with them with no problems...
I think the hardest part is thinning out your STUFF so everything will fit in the motor home...
We plan on buying a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 40' diesel pusher this winter so we can have more room (2-slides)...

Running long but get yourself a fishing pole & catch dinner at that lake..

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #33

Bmaintz8,
I don't understand why they would make you leave a spot at the CG if you are paying for it just because a "snowbird" regular shows up. Doesn't seem fair to me.
It sounds like you have been bumped around a bit, but seem pretty content with the situation now. At least you get to see your family and grand kids.
The house I'm getting is truly tiny, less than 1000 sq ft. However, the deck on the back is almost bigger than the house itself and overlooks a man made canal that feeds into the lake. At the moment, that canal is full of bushes because the water level is so low due to the drought, but I am confident that will change (fingers crossed). I'm 1 block from the actual lake, so I should get in some good fishing. In any case, sitting on the deck at sunset with a glass of wine is heaven. It is Lake Granbury on the Brazos River. Granbury is an old historical town, but has everything you could possibly want including ghost tours. All the old buildings downtown are apparently haunted. Can't wait to do that. Davy Crockett's wife is buried there and John Wilkes Booth was a bar tender there, back in the day. If you get back this way, you might want to check it out.
I am really looking forward to getting my RV, though, and actually stopping to really visit the places I have driven by so many times over the years. Also want to go back to CA to visit some friends, and figure a Class B will fit in their driveways easily enough
Good luck and enjoy your new rig when you get it. We may cross paths one day.
Scarlett
Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Hi Denise,
Since I wrote, I have made some major decision changes. I am in the process of buying a very small house on a lake in Texas (cheap). I have always wanted to retire near water. I also love plants and could not reconcile myself to giving them up on the road. However, this place had to have a large carport to cover a smaller RV so I can continue my plans to travel albeit on a more limited basis. I am now in the market for a Class B or B+ that has the same benefits as a larger rig but easier on the pocketbook and easier to handle by myself. I think there is an RV out there for any of us. It's just a matter of finding it.
I wish you good luck in following your dream and believe you will accomplish it if you keep trying. The people on IRV2 are wonderful, encouraging and full of information and advice. Use this to your advantage.
Take care,
Scarlett
I'm with BMaintz,

I would not turn down living on a lake, I love the water, especially swimming and kayaking Katy, very happy for you And you can still do the RV thing I am not at all sure what my future holds, I guess we don't get to know that, but I would go for something like you are, or full-timing. I really think I would choose the lake property, and part-time RVing if I could choose

I'll try and stick around a bit more, have a doc appt this a.m. then maybe check back in a little later! Have a great day all! Denise
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #35

S and B

Katyscarlett, no matter where you locate, there will always be things that need doing. I look forward to the day when I will not cut grass, rake leaves, shovel snow or clean gutters. Nwcountry, don't let your jaw drop too far when I tell you I'll be selling my house on Lake Barkley to eliminate them from my life. By the way, what type of photography do you prefer. Landscape, wildlife, etc? I'll be getting to the Monument Valley sometime and I intend to wear out my Canon. Winter shots too. Bob
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #36

Bob,
I look at it this way. I love nature, planting, gardening and, I guess you could say, nesting. My son always gets mad at me every time I move because I have these garganguan plants to lug around including my lemon tree that is potted and goes everywhere with me. I brought it when we move back to Texas from California in the summer heat. Not only did it make it, but it is producing massive lemons (5 1/2 inches long) It will now have a home. The problem is that I am a gypsy - hence all the moving - and love to move around and see the world. Now, I figure I have the best of both worlds. I'm not a youngster anymore (67) and while I have my health and physical abilities, I want to take advantage of every opportunity I can. Leaves may be a problem, but there isn't enough snow to worry about. Originally, full timing seemed the way to go, but I decided having my little plot of dirt was the best way to go. I do wish you good luck on the sale of your house, I'm certain you will have no problem with that. Have fun out there and post some of those pictures you will be taking. Scarlett
Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #37

Denise,
Good luck with the doctor appointment. I truly hope everything is okay. Live your dream while you can. I think, it isn't until we start getting older that we realize just how short and unpredictable life really is. Keep in touch and I wish you well, whatever your decision turns out to be. Scarlett
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
Katyscarlett, no matter where you locate, there will always be things that need doing. I look forward to the day when I will not cut grass, rake leaves, shovel snow or clean gutters. Nwcountry, don't let your jaw drop too far when I tell you I'll be selling my house on Lake Barkley to eliminate them from my life. By the way, what type of photography do you prefer. Landscape, wildlife, etc? I'll be getting to the Monument Valley sometime and I intend to wear out my Canon. Winter shots too. Bob
I love the lake idea, but no, I am with you on all the care that goes into owning a place like that. I would like to have either an RV, and rent a space (s), or just rent a house/apt.

I like macro photography, fascinates me, I am strictly an amateur though. I also like more still life as I don't have a good handle on doing my own settings (for motion, etc). Here are a couple I just shot at one of our beaches on Saturday

As you can see, I like to play with "image editing" software Denise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new oregon rain2.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	72592   Click image for larger version

Name:	feller surfing2.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	72593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bastendorf beach.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	72594  
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Denise,
Good luck with the doctor appointment. I truly hope everything is okay. Live your dream while you can. I think, it isn't until we start getting older that we realize just how short and unpredictable life really is. Keep in touch and I wish you well, whatever your decision turns out to be. Scarlett
I agree Katy,

I don't know if I can live my "dream" but I do know I can love what I do end up with, not want for what I don't have I can do that I wouldn't turn down a place of my own on a lake, and I wouldn't turn down a chance to full-time RV, so whichever way it goes, I'll go

The health issue was never an issue until 2 months ago, now, my life could change drastically. But I will adjust, and enjoy what I do have Denise
Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #40

Denise,
Your pictures are beautiful. Keep it up and keep posting. I pray that whatever your health issues are that it isn't too serious. You do have a great positive attitude and I wish you the very best.
Scarlett
Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Denise,
Your pictures are beautiful. Keep it up and keep posting. I pray that whatever your health issues are that it isn't too serious. You do have a great positive attitude and I wish you the very best.
Scarlett
Ah thanks Scarlett I do love going out and taking photos then coming home and uploading to see if I caught any treasures, lol I have so much to learn, but I found myself not having fun anymore, so I just went back to shooting in "auto" mode. When I feel like it, I try different settings, but if not, the main thing I want to do is have fun

I'll stick around and keep you posted on what the doc has to say on the 10th. Thanks again for your sweet note, Denise
Old 09-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #42

I'll keep my fingers crossed, Denise. Stay positive. I will.

Tags
full time, rving