Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #43

Photos

Nwcountry, good luck on the 10th. Keep us posted. Your attitude is wonderful. How lucky you are to have a beach like that nearby. Don't shortchange yourself on your photo ability because you aren't up to top speed on motion. You obviously are good at editing and subject choice. I can't even figure out how to add thumbnails here. I've had my Canon for 3 years and have yet to use it for motion photography. I have learned to do a few things, but I have so little time to learn and practice. Life is so hectic and retirement always seems to be a bit out of reach. Bmaintz8, thanks for the tip on Resort Parks Int'l. Katyscarlett, there can be a long waiting list for spots at RV parks, especially for certain spots in the park and some snowbirds actually reserve their spots a year in advance. Some groups of campers request several adjoining spots so they know who their neighbors will be. The parks want to keep the regulars happy, and those who happen to stop by without notice in the off-season are not as valuable to them as the regulars. Is it fair that anyone has to relocate in the park? Maybe not, but I for one wants to be forced to walk or bike as far as possible. It's good for the heart and it exposes you to as many new people as possible. We all lead solidary lives to a great extent and the more folks we can access the more we can learn. Maybe Nwcountry's editing bug will rub off.
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #44
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
I love the lake idea, but no, I am with you on all the care that goes into owning a place like that. I would like to have either an RV, and rent a space (s), or just rent a house/apt.

I like macro photography, fascinates me, I am strictly an amateur though. I also like more still life as I don't have a good handle on doing my own settings (for motion, etc). Here are a couple I just shot at one of our beaches on Saturday

As you can see, I like to play with "image editing" software Denise
I would rethink what you perceive as your ability, these pictures are great. perhaps if your so inclined get a couple of picture frames and put them in a sat. market. might just surprise you. keep striving to achieve your goal of having an rv, one day it'll happen, and if you would, please, keep posting your pics. can't wait to see more.
best of luck on the 10th.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #45

Wink KatyScarlett - go for it...this isn't a dress rehersal

KatyScarlett, we are just starting out 'newbies', this being our first year as we leave in October for AZ. Now...we still have a home with a mortgage, we are both retired, have SS and pensions. But...having said that we are far from rich. We bought a 2006 Gulf Stream and older Suzuki to tow. MH has a payment, but...you know what? I am extremely great at budgets, and after we retired, I found there were lots of things we could live without and quite comfortably. When working money didn't seem as important and it flowed in, now it is fixed, and you adjust accordingly. Now, we do plan to stay in various locations for extended periods of time. Have thought about the work camp thing, but think we will look into that maybe next year.
Since we are new, I may be overly optimistic, but that is my nature anyway...my glass is always 1/2 full no matter what. So, since this time we have isn't a dress rehearsal, I say go for it...really, what is the very worse that can happen.

Enjoy, live, love and laugh alot...
CatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #46

Lee and Cat,
I think it's great that you are out there doing what you love and are able to maintain both worlds. That is my hope and I too am pretty good with budgets, so I think I will be able to manage. I am looking forward to getting my MH and getting on the road. I wish you both well, safe travels and lots of fun. Like you said, this isn't a dress rehearsal, so we need to make the best of what we've got. Thank you for your kind comments.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #47

Appt

Katyscarlett, have you heard from Denise since her doctor's Appt? She had talked about 'lifechanging', so I wonder. Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #48
laj

sure hope she's ok, and everything turned out way better then expected.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #49

BobT, no I haven't heard anything. I, too, hope everything is okay. I hope she keeps in touch with us to let us know how she is doing. Denise, we are thinking about you and pray for the best.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #50

Cool 15+ yrs on the road

We sold all our household and moved the first year to the FL Keys. We workamped about 15 years which usually just paid for our campsite. It is fun, gives you something to do, and is a big help to the budget.

Our income is only SS (but you know that varies from person to person).
Luckily, we both have VA insurance. We have fall back monies for emergencies (such as a $1500 repair on one of the MH slides). We do not owe for anything - not even income tax anymore.

We have shopped at thrift type stores for 30 years since we had a farm, do not keep up with the Jones' and spend most of our income on camp sites (average $600/month) and gasoline. Automotive insurance is one we kinda save for. We stay at the locations we want but the cost is a big factor. We eat out modestly.

We really enjoy traveling to see the country!
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #51

katyscarlett we are new to the FT lifestyle. We live on my SS, have a little dab of debt we are cleaning up. We sold the house of 20 years and hit the road this past summer. (Four days after we listed the house we had an accepted offer. That was faster than we thought!) In addition to my SS each month Sher and I are free lance writers and we set up and sell at mostly festivals but the occasional flea market. We had a four festival, four week circuit we hit in Ohio and Indiana that totally financed our trip from central Indiana to Seattle. This can be done.

As I said we are new to FT, but I would say think out of the box and go for it! There are details about our selling at festivals on our blog. Our five adult kids and our grandkids live on both coasts and in between which was one reason for us to travel full time.
maj and sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarpetguy View Post
I Hear from a lot of people about you must have x amount per month to get by.
I get just over 1650.00/month for the wife and myself.
We have an older MH. Yeah I would love to have a new truck and 5v'r. But injury and job loss took care of that dream.

We travel mostly the western states, Fortunately I am able to do a lot of the maintenance. If a major break down occurs, we will figure something out, be it holding up somewhere till we can fix it or get something else.

I do have some safe guards. Road side, good insurance, some spare parts, a lot of tools, and a good skill set.
Just couldn't do this kind of work for any length of time. Wife could work for a short time to help out if needed.

Do have some family that could help.

With that being said, I could not imagine sitting in an apartment with little to do just to exist. The way I see it is you get one go around and its a pretty short ride and we never no when it is going to stop.

I admire your heart to the rving life. Your right sitting home just waiting to die doesn't make sense to me. If anyone wanted to there can do the rving, whatever obstacles come your way.
bigdaddychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #53

This is a thread from 2014 the people you quoted may not be here - you could send them a PM.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #54

Im in the same boat here.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddychic View Post
I admire your heart to the rving life. Your right sitting home just waiting to die doesn't make sense to me. If anyone wanted to there can do the rving, whatever obstacles come your way.

Your story has inspired me. Hope I can hit the road soon!
Ms B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:46 AM   #56

I read a book recently from Amazon called "RV living on SS" Very up to date. Check it out.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, rving