Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ideas for discounts

I thought this forum would be the best for this post. I have an opportunity to write a letter with some suggestions that may actually be heard. I am speaking about ideas for the State Parks of Texas. I plan to make several suggestions and would appreciate ideas from others that have experienced them in various states and campgrounds.

I already plan to discuss:

Coupons
Annual Camping Pass
Honor the Federal Access Pass
Disabled Veterans Free days
Pay for 6 and get 7 nights
Mon-Thursday discounts

Thanks for any input
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

All of those suggestion sounds pretty good. Good luck
Old 03-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
I thought this forum would be the best for this post. I have an opportunity to write a letter with some suggestions that may actually be heard. I am speaking about ideas for the State Parks of Texas. I plan to make several suggestions and would appreciate ideas from others that have experienced them in various states and campgrounds.
Coupons
Annual Camping Pass
Mon-Thursday discounts
Thanks for any input
There are 2 states that offer all disabled veterans FREE passes to the states parks, there are also some other discounts along with it. Texas is one and Florida is the other ($1 charge for printing and mailing it back to you). Some other states have the passes for the residents of those particular states. Some states take the Fed pass and for some there are other things to do to get the passes.

Thom and Chris: Federal and State Park Pass information

Last I knew this information was correct and up to date.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
There are 2 states that offer all disabled veterans FREE passes to the states parks, there are also some other discounts along with it. Texas is one and Florida is the other ($1 charge for printing and mailing it back to you). Some other states have the passes for the residents of those particular states. Some states take the Fed pass and for some there are other things to do to get the passes.

Thom and Chris: Federal and State Park Pass information

Last I knew this information was correct and up to date.
Thanks and I will look. The Texas pass (I have one) is limited to Texas residents as far as I know and it gives no discount to camping but does waive the daily fees (in Texas the daily entrance fee is added to the camping fee!).

However, Oregon offers disabled Veterans (any percentage) either 5 or 10 days (can't remember - I have the card) per month free camping at any Oregon State Park and they don't care what State you are from.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI Ontario (Canada) provincial parks offer a 50 percent discount for citizens with disability parking passes. Parks of the St. Lawrence offer 50 percent discounts for seniors over 65.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #6

We tried similar suggestions in Colorado. We ran into a brick wall, if it costs the state an extra nickel or if was going to force a state employee to work an extra minute you can forget it. The only way is to go through a state senator or congressman. It has to be done through political channels because of the budgets.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

New Mexico has camping passes.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Coupons
Annual Camping Pass
Mon-Thursday discounts
Thanks for any input
n5pht
Good for you, IMO, someone should do something.
Thanks

As a non-resident, I've found camping at Texas State Parks to be the most expensive of all the states I've camped in.
The camping fees aren't bad.....but the additional charge for a towed car and the "per person per day, including the day you leave", charge is ridiculous...(if you stay one night they charge the daily "per person" fee for the day you arrive and the day you leave!

Camping at COE parks in TX is a bargain compared to the TX state parks, (and they honor the Federal Access 50% discount passes).

Mel, (from Wisconsin)
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #9

campaigning

Quote:
Thanks and I will look. The Texas pass (I have one) is limited to Texas residents as far as I know and it gives no discount to camping but does waive the daily fees (in Texas the daily entrance fee is added to the camping fee!).

However, Oregon offers disabled Veterans (any percentage) either 5 or 10 days (can't remember - I have the card) per month free camping at any Oregon State Park and they don't care what State you are from.
go4dsnow is probably right that writing to senator or congressman is the starting point, even if they are not the right 'square one' ask them to refer you to the entity that is. Remember, when campaigning for what YOU want best way to get it is to show the advantages in your proposal for getting them what THEY want (point out all the benefit$ to them for doing what you want them to do hope that helps.
ShelleyFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
calif gives 1/2 off camping if ur disabled at state parks and campgrounds
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #11

and federal parks too, day usage is free and camping is 50% discount, apply for a pass at ca.gov.com , I just got my pass in the mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingslow View Post
calif gives 1/2 off camping if ur disabled at state parks and campgrounds
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
TX state parks offer "no fishing license required." That is a really big deal for out of state visitors. That policy needs more exposure.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #13

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
n5pht
Good for you, IMO, someone should do something.
Thanks

As a non-resident, I've found camping at Texas State Parks to be the most expensive of all the states I've camped in.
The camping fees aren't bad.....but the additional charge for a towed car and the "per person per day, including the day you leave", charge is ridiculous...(if you stay one night they charge the daily "per person" fee for the day you arrive and the day you leave!

Camping at COE parks in TX is a bargain compared to the TX state parks, (and they honor the Federal Access 50% discount passes).

Mel, (from Wisconsin)
'96 Safari
You obviously have not stayed in New England State Parks, to complain about TX state parks. I don`t know which State Pk. you stayed at in TX. But we have hosted at many TX S/P and are not aware of what you speak.

Art
aandbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mel, (from Wisconsin)
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandbr View Post
we have hosted at many TX S/P and are not aware of what you speak.
Art
aandbr
That statement proves that some "hosts" DO NOT know and understand the rules, regulations and fees at some TX state park campgrounds.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote