Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedebob View Post
WAY TO GO DAVEN!!! I love this thread because at times we feel like we are not "getting our $$'s worth" out of our RV.... But reading this thread encourages me and reminds me of WHY we got her in the first place !!
Thanks Dedebob!
We are out here because we love it, and RVers are the finest sort. Some like to slice and dice and put our lifestyle under a microscope, and look at it as to how they cannot afford it; trying to justify NOT being F/T. But the ones that really know, like us, we add up the fine sights, fine people, and what we are NOT spending anymore on the S&B. We totally win!
Thanks again!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Everybody does their own thing. Enjoy your airport grope and "don't let the bed bugs bite".
Yep! Same bed every nite. Never hafta unpack. Yadda yadda...and no bed bugs!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #59

The trick to enjoying your RV is to have one that matches your budget. If you are stretching to afford an expensive DP, you won't enjoy your travels.

I've had them all - from diesel pusher to small tag along. I find the 5ver the best bang for the buck, the best compromise between comfort and convenience.

I travel alot for business too. Airfares, rental cars, parking, hotels, etc are not cheap unless you really stay in dumps and deal with cut-rate providers. The only thing you save by flying is time, not money. You also miss a lot scurrying around. Also, nothing sets off my stress level like the idiots at the TSA. Any day I can avoid the airport is a good day.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #60
KAS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Sold house. Taxes were $6000. I'm traveling for FREE!
That is a good point in favor of full timing and getting rid of the albatross of a home.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #61

WE have discussed this over and over in our trip planning. I believe the type of trip will decide which way to go. For example we are planning a trip to Key West and will use our fiver for it. There are to many areas that we want to see along the way. We plan on spreading this out over 2 weeks.

But on a trip to the Grand Canyon we plan on using our credit card miles mainly due to the long distance and nothing to see along the way.

We use to take all our vacation either to Mexico or the Caribbean. We have had our fill of the airports and customs. What really pushed us to camping is the beds we have come across. I have a bad back and need a firm bed. Most of the times this does not happen and I am laid up with my back.

On our trip recently to see some friends we have not seen in years we planned on using the camper. But an unforeseen issue made us stay with them instead. We had a great time, but we both had back problems later due to their soft bed. But it was for the best being we did a lot of drinking and would have to drive 26 miles back to the campground.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hate planes, the cramped quarters, hurry up & wait, delays, lost luggage, crowds, parking, walking miles, no transport once you get somewhere without renting. Then there's overpriced motels, hauling in luggage daily, questionable "free" breakfasts, dirty rooms with invisible stains... Then there's eating out, looking for overpriced restuarants, eating too much of the wrong foods, handled correctly?
I'm in control of everything in a RV except other inconsiderate drivers.
No choice here...
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I hate planes, the cramped quarters, hurry up & wait, delays, lost luggage, crowds, parking, walking miles, no transport once you get somewhere without renting. Then there's overpriced motels, hauling in luggage daily, questionable "free" breakfasts, dirty rooms with invisible stains... Then there's eating out, looking for overpriced restuarants, eating too much of the wrong foods, handled correctly?
I'm in control of everything in a RV except other inconsiderate drivers.
No choice here...
X2 pal

I lived in hotels and planes for years.
We know what we hate, and what we love.

You forgot bed bugs! ;-)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
How many of us got the RV just so we can take the pups with us?

Besides ,it's like an airplane. Gas is the cheapest thing you can put in an RV or a Plane.
Consider all the other costs. I lent a friend mine and he griped about the fuel. I told him if he would buy the RV I'll supply all the fuel he can us as long as I could us it.
Yep Max is my best Co Pilot
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #65

You can't justify it, any more than you can justify having a model train or a boat or a kid. lJust enjoy it.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
If you are 62 or older you can get a Senior Pass for a $10.00 one time fee, good for lifetime that lets you camp in federal CG's for 50% off the regular and usually quite reasonable fee.
Passport America is a 50% off CG fees membership thing that will pay for itself with 3 or 4 nights camping.
You need no other memberships than these. They are worth their weight in gold. The budget minded need these.
Where would I look for the Senior Pass? I'm 70 and just heading out for my first long distance run from GA to NY.
Shaliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaliberty View Post
Where would I look for the Senior Pass? I'm 70 and just heading out for my first long distance run from GA to NY.
When you enter a National Park you can buy the senior pass at the toll both or any other pass you may qualify for. You can also buy the pass online at nps.gov
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Did you lot see this little report on CNN.

Seniors should pay more for national park pass, congresswoman says - Apr. 16, 2013
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #69

Our own bed, our own bathroom, and on our own schedule. Priceless!
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
Passport America is a 50% off CG fees membership thing that will pay for itself with 3 or 4 nights camping.
PA is worthless unless you camp during the week and not on weekends or holidays.

Tags
gas