Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Laundry on the road?

Hey,

So I have been wondering about solutions to laundry on the road. I hate using laundromats and was searching for an alternative. I found this site here Yirego and they have a cute, portable alternative that uses no electricity....but I can't get it til next year if I order it. Anyone have any other ideas that use no electricity and little water? Thanks!
Can Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Cute is a good word. Would be good if you were only doing a few socks or underwear but does not seem practical for larger items. Sure would be something to keep you busy when stopped.

I would use a laundromat. Some are pretty good with modern commercial washers and dryers. Otherwise wait till you get to a campground and have a washer/dryer unit in your RV.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the input Gordon, it is all helpful! I am also looking at ways at reducing my carbon footprint as well, so this seemed like an eco-friendly solution. I shudder to think what commercial washers use in water! (Call me a tree-hugging hippy I know haha)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So the concern is how much water the conventional laundry process uses?

I have the same concern, but maybe not as strong as you. Almost all of my clothes can be washed together in cold water, so I pick the large front loader machines. They use less water than a top loader.

When possible, I dry my clothes on a line at my campsite. If not possible, I dry my clothes to nearly totally dry. Some that can't go in a dryer get hung on the shower curtain rod to dry.

Some of my clothes that are made of nylon get washed in the bathtub in the trailer using a minimal amount of water and soap, then wrung out and hung to dry. I made clothes buying decisions that made laundry easier to handle, even when boondocking.

Some folks have made clothes washers out of five gallon buckets with lids and a toilet plunger, there ae many solutions on the internet for alternatives to traditional washers and dryers. Hanging clothes dry can be done almost anywhere, but some parks and campgrounds forbid it.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Line drying is a must for me in most cases, it makes everything smell so good! Especially where I am on the coast!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I laugh out loud at folks that have dryer sheets that make their laundry smell "good", especially the so-called "outdoors fresh" crap.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
No thanks, I'll keep our washer/dryer combo
Old 12-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I laugh out loud at folks that have dryer sheets that make their laundry smell "good", especially the so-called "outdoors fresh" crap.
I switched over to scentless detergent and fabric softener about a decade ago. I prefer my clothes not to smell at all (which is why they get washed in the first place), but the primary reason was I was carrying for my mom and smell of conventional detergents affected her breathing. If it does that to someone who is sick, what's it doing to us that are healthy enough to not notice its effects?
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Laundry on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can Camp View Post
Hey,

So I have been wondering about solutions to laundry on the road. I hate using laundromats and was searching for an alternative. I found this site here Yirego and they have a cute, portable alternative that uses no electricity....but I can't get it til next year if I order it. Anyone have any other ideas that use no electricity and little water? Thanks!

Since you don't have it listed in your profile (hint!) what type/brand/model of RV do you have? Does it have room for a washer/dryer?

I camped for many years in old VW van conversions. In a pinch, some soapy water in a 5-gallon plastic bucket with a tight lid can get clothes reasonably clean in a day's drive. Rinse, hang-dry, repeat.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

Ha, all this talk about scent reminds me of the time I came back from bow elk hunting, put all the elk pee and other scent things in a plastic bag and unthinkingly placed the bag in a drawer directly below DWs lingerie drawer. Somehow the scent penetrated through the bag and soon after that something else with a scent hit the fan. Now all my scent stuff can come no closer to the house than the garage. Just thought someone might get a kick out of that.

We generally use Laundromats when we're away from home. Once when we were at Haines Junction we needed to wash some clothes and I asked the girl who was working there how much it cost. The amount she told us was in "loonies". I was completely in the dark so I asked what a "loonie" was. It turned out to be a Canadian coin with a picture of a loon on the back, so we got some "loonies" from her and proceeded. I'll never forget that.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

$250
Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO using the laundromat while on the road is mostly an inconvenience rather than an ecology matter. We wear lots of tee shirts and shorts so we go a long time with only one load of laundry.

Do not like sitting and waiting.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can Camp View Post
?..Anyone have any other ideas that use no electricity and little water? Thanks!

Why no electricity ? Get some solar panels, and you are making "free" sustainable, Earth friendly electricity. As far as water, modern front loaders don't use much. If you wash your dishes in the sink you are probably wasting more water than the washing machine would use.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO using the laundromat while on the road is mostly an inconvenience rather than an ecology matter. We wear lots of tee shirts and shorts so we go a long time with only one load of laundry.

Do not like sitting and waiting.
I'm with you about sitting and waiting. This particular time we knew we had at least a month's trip ahead of us and we were waiting on some friends who got off the ferry at Haines. We got off at Skagway and were going to meet them here, so while we were waiting seemed like a good time to wash clothes as there wasn't much else to do. Also, we learned about "loonies".:-))

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote